Converting photos to PDF is beneficial for two reasons. First, it lets you convert images to a more readable format. Second, you can compress a PDF without losing the quality of the original file. Fortunately, it's a relatively simple process.
In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to convert photos to PDF on different devices.
How to Convert JPG, GIF, or PNG Photos to PDF on iPhone
The images stored on your iPhone will often be of different file types. For example, HEIC, PNG, JPG or GIF. Maybe you have an image that you want to send to a colleague as a document, or maybe you have a document that you prefer to send as an image. Anyway, here's how you convert JPG and PNG to PDF on iPhone:
- Unlock your iPhone and go to "Albums".
- Next, tap "Select" in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Tap and select the images you want to convert. The photos you choose will appear with a small blue check mark icon at the bottom right of each image.
- Once you've chosen the image or images you want to convert, click "Share" (the rectangular box with an arrow pointing up.)
- From the menu that appears, choose “Save to Files”. A Save Location menu will appear; from there, tap on “On my iPhone”.
- Once the list of all your folders drop down, select the folder where you want to save these files. Tap "Save" in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Return to your home screen and navigate to your "Files" app. At the bottom of the screen that opens, find and click "Browse". Scroll down to find "Locations", then select "On my iPhone".
- In the screen that opens, choose the folder where you saved the files. Next, tap "Select" on the top right of the screen, then choose the images.
- Tap the icon at the bottom right of the phone that displays three dots in a circle. A menu will open. Choose "Create PDF". Your iPhone will save these images in PDF format.
It's important to remember that if you compile multiple images into a PDF this way, your iPhone will position them in the document based on the file name. If you want the photos to be in a particular order, rename them first.
Convert a GIF
Not all devices allow you to convert GIF to PDF with native (pre-installed) apps. A proven application you can use for this is Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free to download. Download this app on your iPhone and follow these steps to convert your GIF to PDF:
- Access the Adobe Reader app on your phone.
- From the “Tools” menu, choose “Create PDF”.
- Select the GIF you want to convert to PDF.
- Press "Create".
- Follow the prompts to save your PDF.
How to Convert JPG, GIF or PNG Photos to PDF on Android Device
Converting a JPG or PNG on an Android device is less complex than the method needed for an iPhone. Here's how to go about it:
- Open your Android device and go to your "Gallery".
- Find the image you want to convert to PDF and tap on it to open.
- Click on the icon with the three vertical dots at the top right of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Print". At the very top of the screen you will see a bar with the name of a printer and a dark gray arrow next to it. Press this arrow.
- A menu of the different printers available will appear. Choose "Save as PDF". A preview of the image will open. A yellow "Download PDF" icon will appear. Click on this icon.
- Select where you want to save the PDF, then tap "Done" at the bottom of the screen.
Convert a GIF
While Android lets you convert PNG and JPG files this way, a GIF is not supported. To convert these files to PDF, you will need to use an application. We suggest you try the Adobe Acrobat Reader app, which you can download for free from the Google Play Store. These steps will show you how to convert GIF to PDF using this app:
- Launch your Adobe Acrobat Reader application on your Android device.
- On the home screen, locate the icon which appears as a large blue circle with a white plus sign. Tap this icon.
- From the menu that appears, select “Create PDF”.
- Choose "Select File", then choose the GIF you want to convert to PDF.
- Press "Create".
- Save your PDF by following the instructions.
How to Convert JPG, GIF, or PNG Photos to PDF on Mac
Unlike mobile devices, your Mac can convert a wider variety of files to PDF, including PNG, GIF, TIFF, and JPG. Follow the instructions below to convert your photos to PDF format on your Mac:
- Open the folder on your Mac containing the images you want to convert to PDF. Select them and right click. From the menu, choose "Open With", then select "Mac Preview" from the options.
- The Mac Preview application will then launch. On the left side, you will see thumbnails of the images you have selected to convert. Drag and drop them in the order you want them to be placed when converting to PDF.
- To orient the images the right way, click on the thumbnail in the panel. Then, at the top of the screen, choose the "Rotate" icon (a rectangle with a curved arrow above it.)
- Next, go to "File" at the top left of the screen and tap on it. From the menu, choose “Print”.
- Configure the document to the desired size and layout before navigating to the bottom left of the screen to the button with the drop-down arrow.
- Click this button and select "Save as PDF". Follow the prompts to save your PDF to a location of your choice.
How to Convert JPG, GIF or PNG Photos to PDF in Windows 10
Windows 10 is a lot like a Mac in that it will let you convert various image files, including GIFs, to PDF. If you want to know how to do this, follow these steps:
- On your Windows 10 computer, open the folder containing the photo or GIF you want to convert to PDF in the native app on Windows called "Pictures".
- Once the photo or GIF is open, locate the "Print" icon in the upper right corner of the screen and click it.
- On the left of the window that opens, you will see a box that allows you to select the printer at the top. Click on this drop-down list and choose "Microsoft Print to PDF".
- Now press "Print".
- Type in the name you want to call this new PDF and select where you want to save it before clicking "Save."
Converting your image files to PDF documents is relatively simple once you know how. If you follow the steps in this guide, you'll convert your images like a pro.
Have you ever converted an image to PDF? Did you use a method similar to those described in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.