If you're a member of a WhatsApp group, you've probably been in a situation where you have to make a "democratic" decision that reflects the group's majority opinion. It could be a vote on anything from who will lead the group over the next few months to the best financial investment for the group and even who to invite to be the guest speaker at the next meeting.
Whatever your goals, a survey is a great way to gather feedback and make a decision that works for most group members.
Unlike most social media platforms, however, WhatsApp doesn't offer a built-in polling service.
The good thing is that a host of third-party developers have bridged the gap and created tools that can help you do a quick survey on WhatsApp. Whether your device runs on Android, iOS or Windows, your needs are covered.
In this article, we will show you how these tools work. This will prepare you well for informative surveys that can help you make decisions more easily and transparently.
If you're using an iPhone, the following tools can help you create the perfect survey and gather feedback for decision-making:
Ferendum is a free online poll maker perfect for creating quick polls to share in your WhatsApp group chat. It lets you create a unique, fully customized survey with your own questions and up to 10 options to choose from.
Once you're happy with how the question and options are set up, you can generate a link and share it in your group chat. To vote, members simply click or tap the link. As a bonus, neither the survey creator nor the participants are required to create an account.
Here's how to create a WhatsApp poll using Ferendum:
- Open Safari and visit WhatsApp Poll Maker on Ferendum official website.
- Type the question you want to ask in your poll.
- Add a "Comment" to disclose more information about the survey. You can use this part to briefly explain how the poll works or create a call to action.
- Enter your name or email. If you don't want to provide this information, you can easily skip this section.
- Add up to 10 custom options.
- At this point, you are allowed to configure voting as you see fit. For example, you can opt for anonymous voting or opt for 'Voting Board' if you want each member's details to appear next to their vote.
- Accept Ferendum's Terms of Service.
- Tap "Create a poll for WhatsApp". This should open a new page where you can copy a link which can then be pasted into the group chat.
For added transparency, votes are automatically counted as they come in. Once a member has voted, they will be able to see the poll results.
Chat2Desk is a bot that helps you create a poll directly from your WhatsApp account in four simple steps. You don't need to visit any external sites or install anything on your iPhone. Although the developer is based in Poland, you can use the bot from any part of the world, including the United States
This is how it works:
- Add the following number to your contacts and save it as “Free Surveys” – +48 735 062 996.
- Open a new thread with "Free Polls" and send the word "Create". This should automatically launch "Step 1", where you need to enter your question.
- Type in your personalized question and press "Send".
- At this point, the bot will ask you to specify the number of options to include in your survey. Answer with any number between "2" and "10".
- Now quickly type in your options. After each entry, the bot will ask you to “Send the next possible answer from your survey”.
- After you've entered all of your options, select whether you want participants to "vote multiple answers." To consent, type “Yes”. If you want participants to be limited to one option, answer "No".
After that, the bot will send you a link which you can then share in your WhatsApp group. The link comes with instructions on how to vote.
Even though WhatsApp doesn't have a built-in survey service, there are several third-party tools that can get the job done safely, securely, and efficiently. One of the most popular options is called Opinion Stage.
The Opinion Stage survey builder was built from the ground up with bespoke features that allow you to design your next survey, quiz or interactive social media campaign without any technical knowledge.
It is the perfect platform to harness the power of WhatsApp group chats. With this tool, you can tap into members' opinions, ideas and advice on how to handle important issues.
Here's how to create a WhatsApp poll using Opinion Stage:
- Open your browser and visit the official Opinion Stage website.
- Complete the survey creation form. You will be able to define the question and provide up to 10 options.
- When your survey is ready, open your dashboard and tap "Embed & Share".
- To share your survey directly on WhatsApp, tap the WhatsApp icon at the bottom of your screen.
Handy Polls is one of the easiest poll creation tools ever developed for use on a PC. All you have to do is visit the official webpage, enter your questions and options, and then generate a link.
You can then share the link in your WhatsApp group, in which case members will be taken to a web page where they can vote.
Even though social media polls can lack the rigor of real research design and data analysis, they offer people a cost-effective way to quantify their opinions on a given topic without having to spend too much time or effort.
Conducting a poll on WhatsApp is a great way to engage everyone and build team spirit. This sends the message that the group values transparency and decisions that take into account everyone's points of view.
Have you tried creating a poll using one of the tools described in this article? How was it?
Let us know in the comments section below.