Since the popular chat platform Discord launched in 2015, it has become more than just a forum for gamers. Audiences with different interests (ages 13+) use Discord to hang out and catch up with friends and communities.
While there are protocols to protect users, Discord also gives you the ability to hide your identity by making your username "invisible." If you want to learn how to hide your Discord username, we'll show you how to use the desktop and mobile app.
You can also make your avatar invisible; our FAQ section includes how this is done.
How to Create an Invisible Discord Name on PC
To create an invisible (empty) Discord name from your desktop, via app or web browser version, follow these steps:
- Launch Discord and log in to your account.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on the "User Settings" icon.
- In the "My Account" area, click on the "Edit" button in the middle window.
- Clear the username text field, then copy and paste – without spaces, that special character “˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞” (tilde) into the field of text.
- Click on "Done".
- Now verify that you are showing up as "Online" with an invisible username.
How to Create an Invisible Discord Name on the iPhone App
To view an empty username on Discord, follow these steps through your iOS device:
- Open the Discord app then log in to your account.
- In the top left, tap the hamburger menu.
- Tap the three-dot menu icon at the top right.
- Tap "Change Nickname." »
- Paste the following special character “˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞” (tilde) without any spaces in the text field.
You now have an invisible username.
How to Create an Invisible Discord Name on an Android Device
For an invisible discord name, follow these steps from your Android device:
- Open the Discord app and connect.
- Tap the hamburger menu icon, top left.
- At the top right, tap the three-dot menu icon.
- Select “Change Nickname”.
- Paste the following special character “˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞˞” (tilde) with no space in the text field.
You now have an empty username.
Can I have a blank Discord name?
Only what seems to be empty, there is still a character.
How do I make my profile picture invisible on Discord?
To create an invisible Discord avatar, you must first upload a transparent .PNG image to your desktop or mobile device. This is an image with a transparent background. Then, to make it your invisible avatar from your desktop:
1. Open Discord and login to your account.
2. Click on the "User Settings" icon at the bottom of the screen.
3. In "My Account", click on the three-dot menu icon to the right of the image placeholder.
4. Click on “Change avatar”.
5. Locate and select the .PNG transparent background image, then "Open".
6. From the “Edit Media” screen, select “Apply” then “Save Changes”.
Your avatar will now be the same color as the background.
Can I make my name appear as a single letter?
Yes, you can have a one-letter or one-symbol Discord username. It's probably easiest to set it up from your desktop, so here's how:
1. Log into your Discord account.
2. Go to Mediafire to download the swag.txt file and save it to your desktop.
3. Open the swag.text file, remove the exclamation point and replace it with the letter or symbol you want to use as your username.
4. Now copy everything (your letter and the special character).
5. Back in your Discord account, click on the “User Settings” icon at the bottom of the screen.
6. Under "My Account", in the middle pane, click on the "Edit" button.
7. Delete your current username, then paste the content copied earlier from the text file.
8. Click on “Save”.
Your username will now be displayed as a letter.
Be the unnamed Discord user
Popular chat platform Discord offers tips for customizing your online account display, including the ability to display an empty username. This option is perfect for being discreet while standing out and maintaining a mysterious and cool identity. Although Discord has security protocols in place, this option also protects your identity.
Creating an invisible username is not as difficult as it may seem. You simply add the special tilde character (~) to the "Username" or "Nickname" text field in your account. Discord is unable to display this character, thus giving you an empty username.
Have you considered other methods to hide or personalize your identity? How long have you been using the platform? Let us know what you generally think of Discord in the comments section.