Do you sometimes wish you could take your memo board everywhere with you? This is where all your plans, goals, and reminders are.
Of course, it's too big and your planner may be too heavy to carry.
As an alternative, have you tried the Notion app?
Not only can you keep everything you need in one place, but you can also use it to keep in touch with your team at all times. All your tasks will be well structured, thanks to the design and customization options provided by Notion.
How about creating columns, adding subheadings and other elements to make your latest report more readable? Read this article to learn more!
Create columns in Notion
Among other useful features, Notion lets you group your text or images without creating a table. You can create as many columns as you want if you need to place data next to each other to make it more readable.
The steps are probably even easier than you imagine. This is because you can actually drag any content item onto a Notion page. Whether you need to move an image or text, you can place it wherever you want. When you want to create columns, you need to do the following:
- Hover your cursor over the piece of text you want to create a column.
- You will see a small icon with dots that will appear as a handle on the left. Click on it to be able to move the content.
- You can drag the content wherever you want on the page. You will see blue guides indicating where the text will go. Make sure to drag the text all the way left or right because otherwise it will be placed under the blue line.
- When you see a vertical blue line, it is a sign that you are creating columns. Drop the text where you want it by releasing the mouse.
So ! That's it. You now have columns and you can repeat the same steps if you want to rearrange the columns in the left sidebar.
You can also use these columns to create separate to-do lists or organize your data however you like.
How to add headers to columns
If you need to name your columns after the information they contain, you can easily add headers to each. You can choose from three sizes of titles provided by Notion and there are several ways to add them.
- Hover over a new line on the page you have open.
- Select the plus sign in the left margin.
- Choose an appropriate title size to add it.
- Open a note and type /.
- Enter the desired header size: h1, h2 or h3.
- Press Enter on your keyboard.
- Type the title.
- Simultaneously press the CTRL (or CMD for Mac) and / keys.
- Select the desired title size.
- Use Markdown.
- Enter # if you want the text to be H1, ## for H2, and ### to make it H3.
- Press Space on your keyboard.
When you add headings, your text will appear more structured and polished.
How to Create Columns in Notion on iPad
Although Notion is available for different devices including iOS and Android, not all features can be used on all mobile phones and tablets.
Unfortunately, creating columns is one of those features. If you create columns on your computer and try to display them on your mobile device, it won't be possible. You will just see the text of the right columns below the content of the left columns.
How to make evenly spaced columns in Notion
Did you know you can create evenly spaced columns without even trying?
Follow our instructions above and drag a content item onto your page to create a column. As you do this, you will see a vertical and horizontal blue line that guides you, so you know where to place the content. Make sure the text or image you move aligns with the content above it. This is so that any new content you add below the previous text or title will be aligned with it.
However, if you want to make sure all your columns are the same width, that's even easier. As you create these columns, they will automatically be evenly spaced, regardless of the number of them.
And if you want to customize them and change their width according to the data they contain, you can adjust them. Hover your cursor between the columns and a line will appear. Click on the row and drag it left or right to change the column width.
Here is some more useful information that you might be interested in if you are just starting to use Notion.
How to add a column in notion?
Notion lets you create tables and is a great alternative to Excel and Google Sheets. In the Notion app, arrays contain different customization features and all kinds of mathematical operations. This allows you to manage your data more easily, so here's how to sum a column in Notion.
• Open the Notion table or database into which you want to sum your data.
• Locate the desired column and place the cursor on the empty area under the last line of the column.
• Select Calculate to display a drop-down menu.
• Choose the Sum operation from the menu.
In this menu you will also find many other useful mathematical operations. For example, you can calculate the median or average value of a column, count unique values, find the minimum or maximum value, etc.
How to add a divider to Notion?
Separators are another feature that can make your text more organized. This is especially useful when you have several different ideas or tasks in one note and want to separate them. There are three ways to add separators and divide your text into different sections. These are explained below:
• Hover over a new line in your document.
• You will see a plus sign in the left margin. Click on it to see a menu.
• In this menu, choose the Separator section.
• Type / in your note.
• Enter div.
• Press the Enter key.
• Navigate to the location in your document where you want to place an insert.
• Enter three hyphens (—).
• A spacer will replace the dashes.
Or you can just drag a divider like any other block and place it where you want.
How to delete a column in Notion?
Removing columns from your Notion document is simple. All you have to do is reverse the action you took when creating them.
• Highlight the contents of the right column that you want to move back.
• Select the points (the column icon) and drag the content to the left. You can place it above or below the content in the left column.
• Follow the blue line to align the content and release the mouse.
• If you see that the right column has not been deleted but is left empty, hover over it and click the column icon. Click Delete to delete it.
Take advantage of the concept
Notion is a great tool for personal use, project management, and communication between team members. Anything that comes to mind, you can jot it down in Notion. Keep your diary, create to-do lists, even create complicated charts, and use the app as your database.
Why not? It is customizable, user-friendly and offers many options. You can even quickly create columns and keep your notes clean and structured.
Have you ever tried Notion? What do you use for that? Let us know in the comments section below.