If you've ever taken a photo that doesn't look right or you just think there's too much going on, the easiest solution is to crop it. Cropping a photo is a great way to get a whole new image from an old image.
How to crop an image in Word
If you regularly use Microsoft Office, you must have needed to add images to highlight or reinforce a document. Even though Word is primarily a text editor, the newer editions have vastly improved image editing capabilities.
To crop an image in Word, follow these steps:
- Insert the image you want to use (Go to InsertThen Photo, then find the image on your device).
- Select the image, then navigate to the Picture tools tab on the toolbar at the top.
- Select Crop.
- Drag the corners to make a selection of what you want to keep. The shaded part of the image (the one outside the bold borders) will be removed.
- You can also right click on the image, then select Format the picture. In the Crop tab, you can select numerical values for the size and offset of your image. Numerical values are useful if you know the final dimensions to which you want to crop the image.
- The new image can be saved to your PC by copying the newly selected image and pasting the result into Paint. Microsoft Word will keep the entire original image as a backup.
- You can edit the image later or change its position in the document.
How to Crop an Image in PowerPoint
Another component of MS Office, PowerPoint offers a similar solution for cropping images:
- Insert the image you want to use.
- Select the image, then navigate to the Image tools format tab on the toolbar at the top.
- Select Crop.
- Drag the corners to make a selection of what you want to keep. The shaded part of the image (the one outside the bold borders) will be removed. Hit enter or click outside the image
- You can also right click on the image, then select Format the picture. In the Crop tab, you can select numerical values for the size and offset of your image.
- The new image can be saved to your PC by copying the newly selected image and pasting the result into Paint. PowerPoint keeps the entire original image as a backup. You can edit the image later or reposition it.
How to Crop an Image in Photoshop
Cropping an image in Photoshop can seem daunting given its extensive menus, but the basic procedure is quite simple:
- Select the Crop Tool in the toolbar.
- The edges of the crop selection will appear on the image. Drag the edges or make a new crop selection by dragging your mouse.
- You can specify the size of your cropped area or its aspect ratio in the menu options on the right.
- If you enable " Remove cropped pixels, » Photoshop will remove the parts outside the crop area.
- Press Enter/Return to finish cropping.
Photoshop can also fill the cropped area with content-aware pixels (available on Photoshop2015 and later). This can be done directly from the crop menu. Photoshop will intelligently fill in the missing areas to the best of its ability.
Additionally, Photoshop may distort or straighten an object after cropping. Distortion is useful if an object is filmed at an angle. For example, if you take a photo of a building from the ground, the top edges will appear closer than the bottom edges. To correct this in a crop, follow these steps:
- Hold the Crop Tool in the toolbar.
- Select Perspective cropping.
- Draw the crop box around the object, matching the edges of the box with the rectangular edges of the object.
- Click on Enter (or Return on a Mac) to finish cropping.
How to crop an image in a circle
You can also use Photoshop to crop the image into a circle:
- Open the image in Photoshop.
- In the Layers screen, tap the layer lock with the image. This will rename the image layer from background layer to layer 0 (this is done because you cannot add transparency to a background layer).
- Select the Elliptical marquee tool from the selection menu in the toolbar by right-clicking the selection tool.
- Draw your selection outline. Resize and move it around as needed.
- Go to the Select menu in the top bar and select Invert. This will select everything outside the selection area.
- Delete the selected area by pressing Backspace on Windows or Backspace on Mac.
- Access the Select menu again, then press Deselect.
- Go to Image menu then Garnish.
- In the Trim pop-up window, select " transparent pixels” and make sure the four checkmarks at the bottom are checked.
- Click OK. Photoshop will now cut the image into a square with a circular image and transparent edges.
- Click File, then Save As. This will save the image. Select PNG as the save format. PNG is a format that allows transparency to work.
How to crop an image on Android
If you want to crop a photo you just took, Android makes it easy for you. Follow these steps:
- Open the Gallery.
- Tap the image you want to crop.
- Select the Edit option (second in the bottom menu).
- Tap Crop.
- Drag the crop selection borders as desired. You can press Reset to clear the changes and return to the unmodified image.
- Additional options are available at the bottom, such as maintaining the aspect ratio of the original image, cropping the image to fit a particular aspect ratio, or rotating or highlighting. image mirror.
- Press the tick at the bottom to confirm the selection. Press Cancel to discard changes.
How to Crop an Image on an iPhone
Cropping photos on an iPhone is just as easy. Follow these steps:
- Open the Photos app.
- Select the image you want to crop.
- Tap Edit at the top right.
- Select the Crop icon from the bottom menu.
- Drag the borders of the selection.
- Alternatively, you can tap the aspect ratio button in the lower right corner. This will allow you to select the desired aspect ratio of the image to be cropped.
- When you're done cropping, tap Done in the bottom right.
How to Crop an Image on a Mac
If you want to quickly edit pictures on your Mac, the Photos app is here for you. To crop an image using Photos, follow these steps:
- Open Photos to see your image gallery and select the image you want to edit.
- Double-click to open the image.
- Click Edit on the toolbar.
- Select Crop.
- You can draw a crop selection or choose an aspect ratio from the menu on the right to force an image to the ratio of your choice.
- You can straighten the image using the digital dial on the right.
- When you're done, select Done in the top right to save your changes. If you want to start over, tap Reset instead.
How to crop an image in a circle
You can use Photos to crop an image into a circle. When you select Crop from the Photo Edit menu, select Elliptical Selection. Then you can draw a circular crop selection to work with.
How to Crop an Image on a Windows PC
Microsoft recently offered an upgrade to its long-running Paint app called Paint 3D. You can use this tool to easily crop images. Follow these steps:
- Open Paint 3D and select the image you want to use.
- Select Crop from the toolbar.
- Draw the crop selection as desired.
- You can also select the desired aspect ratio for the cropped image and let the program do the rest.
- Press Enter to finish.
- Save your image by tapping Menu, then tap Save As. Select to save as an image.
How to crop an image in a circle
Unfortunately, Microsoft has not found an easy solution to crop a circle image. However, there is a workaround using Paint 3D. Follow these steps:
- Open the image in Paint 3D.
- Click 2D Shapes.
- Select a circle from the menu on the right.
- Draw the selection where you want it on the image.
- Increase the thickness of the circle in the sidebar to make it a ring. Also have it colored in white.
- You can move the ring or adjust its size by dragging the corners of the selection. Press Shift while dragging for best results.
- Once you have a ring outlining the image you want, crop the image into a square around it. Just make sure the inner part of the ring is inside the cropped area.
- Click Brushes in the toolbar, then select the Eraser tool from the sidebar.
- Remove the excess parts of the image (the parts outside the ring).
- You will now have an image inside a white circular background. To make the background transparent, follow the steps below. Otherwise, save the image.
- Select “Magic select” from the toolbar.
- Click Next on the right.
- Since the background is white, Paint 3D will automatically select it as the background.
- Select "Autofill background" to make it transparent.
- If you still see white spots around the image, select the image. Resize the surrounding canvas by dragging the selection square outward.
- Resize the image to cover the white parts.
- Save the image (press Menu, then Save As).
Although it's not the most efficient way, it works and you don't need to install any third-party software to do it.
How to Crop an Image on a Chromebook
The Chromebook's default editor does a pretty good job, including cropping the image. Just follow these steps:
- Open your gallery.
- Select the image you want to edit.
- Right-click and select "View and Edit".
- Select the Crop option from the toolbar.
- This will allow you to draw a crop selection as usual.
- Save the image when you're done editing.
You'll need dedicated image-editing programs for more complex edits, but simple crops can be done on any device without hassle.
How to Crop an Image Using an Online Web Service
There are a myriad of options to choose from online to crop your images. One of them is the imageonline.co. This site allows you to upload your photo, easily crop it with a crop selection, and then download it in the format of your choice for offline use.
Moreover, this tool also has an option to crop an image in a circle. Simply upload the image, draw and move the circle selection, select Crop Image at the bottom, then upload the image when done.
A quick Google search may give you additional options to choose from.
Cropped to perfection
When editing an image, cropping is perhaps the most common for most people. It's an important tool for any hobbyist or professional artist, so knowing how to do it on any device is essential.
What cropping options do you prefer? Do you like circular cultures? Leave a comment below to share with the community.