Creating or joining a Facebook group has its benefits and makes it easier to interact with like-minded people. However, you may find that there are groups that you no longer engage with and the notifications that come with them have become frustrating.
If you want to delete a Facebook group or two, keep reading. In this article, we'll show you quick and easy steps to remove those unwanted Facebook groups from your feed.
How to Delete a Group in Facebook on PC
How you go about deleting a Facebook group depends on your role in the group. If you're the group creator, you'll need to delete each participant before you can permanently delete the group. If you are a member of a group but haven't created it, you have the option to leave the group and remove it from your profile (the group will remain for other active members).
Let's look at the steps for these two methods when using a PC:
To delete a Facebook group you created:
- If you haven't already, log in to your Facebook account.
- On your News Feed, select "Groups" from the left menu, scroll down and click on the one you want to remove.
- Select the “Members” tab located under the group name.
- Click the three-dot icon next to each member's name and choose "Remove Member."
- Click on “Confirm”.
- Once you've removed all group members, select the three-dot icon next to your name and choose "Leave Group".
- Confirm by clicking on “Delete group”.
This permanently deletes the group. Facebook does not notify group participants when you delete a group. If you want to remove a group you haven't created from your feed, you'll need to follow these steps:
- On your News Feed, look for the "Groups" option in the left menu. Click on the group you want to leave.
- Click the “Join” button to the right under the group name.
- From the drop-down menu, choose "Leave Group".
How to Delete a Group in Facebook on an iPad
Deleting a Facebook group on an iPad requires slightly different steps than on a PC. Here are the instructions:
- Launch your Facebook app.
- Find the icon with three stacked lines at the bottom right of the screen and tap it.
- Select “Groups” then “Your groups” and choose the group you want to delete.
- Tap the icon that looks like a shield with a star in the center, then select "Members."
- Select each member's name, then tap "Remove [Member's Name] from group."
- Press "Confirm". Do this for each member.
- When your name is last, tap the shield icon again and choose "Leave Party".
If you want to delete a group of which you are only a participant, you will need to:
- Navigate to the bottom right of your home screen and tap the icon with the three horizontal lines.
- Choose “Groups” then “Your groups”. From there, select the group you want to delete.
- Once the group page is open, tap on the three-dot icon at the top right of the screen.
- Choose “Leave Group”.
When you leave a group, the remaining members will not be notified. The group will remain, but you will no longer be part of it and you will no longer receive notifications from this group.
How to Delete a Group in Facebook on an iPhone
Deleting a group on Facebook on an iPhone is similar to doing it on an iPad since both use the Facebook app. Here's how to go about it:
- Open the Facebook app.
- Tap the icon with the three stacked lines at the bottom right of the screen.
- Select "Groups", then choose "Your groups". Scroll to find the group you want to delete. Tap the group.
- On the group page, tap the icon with a shield and a white star in the center. From there, choose “Members”.
- Remove each member by tapping their name, selecting "Remove [Member's Name] From Group", then tapping "Confirm".
- When your name is the only one left, tap the shield icon again and choose "Leave Party".
If you want to delete a group you didn't create using the Facebook app on your iPhone, here's what to do:
- Launch the app.
- Tap the three stacked lines at the bottom right of the screen.
- Choose "Groups", then select "Your groups".
- Find the group you want to delete and tap on it.
- Tap the shield icon in the top right of the screen.
- Select "Leave group".
How to Delete a Facebook Group on Android Phone
The Facebook app interface differs slightly on an Android device, so the instructions for deleting a group on an Android phone will have unique steps. Here's how to delete groups on Android:
- Launch your Facebook app.
- Tap the icon with the three horizontal lines at the top right of the screen.
- Tap on “Groups” then on “Your groups” to see the list of groups in which you participate.
- Tap the group you are going to delete.
- Choose "Members" by tapping on the set of member profile pictures that appear below the group name.
- Remove each member by tapping the three-dot icon next to each member's name. Choose "Remove Member" followed by "Confirm".
- Once you've done this for all members and your name is the only one left, tap the shield and white star icon.
- Select “Leave group”, then confirm by pressing “Leave group”.
If you want to delete a group you haven't created, here's what you need to do:
- Open Facebook.
- Tap the icon with the three lines at the top right of the screen.
- Choose “Groups” then “Your groups” and scroll through the options. Once you locate the group, tap on it.
- Tap the ellipsis in the top right of the screen and choose "Leave Party".
If you're a group admin and deleting your group is a bit too drastic, you can always pause the group. This pauses all activity in the party until you reactivate it. This can give you time to catch up on posts or group administration. A banner will be displayed at the top of the group page, notifying members that the group is temporarily suspended. Pausing a group is easy, and you can find the steps on Facebook's Help Center.
Deleting a Facebook group you created or leaving one you belong to is relatively simple once you know what steps to take. While removing members from your groups can be tedious, the rest of the process is quick and easy. By following the steps outlined here, you'll soon be deleting groups that no longer serve you in minutes.
Have you deleted a Facebook group on an iOS or Android device or on a PC? Did you use a set of steps similar to those presented in this article? Let us know by commenting below.