When you subscribe to the Apple Music streaming service, you get access to a music catalog with over 90 million songs and unlimited playlists. With all this abundance, it can be easy to end up with a bunch of playlists that you don't listen to. They can take up valuable storage space on the phone or screen and be annoying to browse.
Either way, you can delete a downloaded playlist so that it disappears from your device or delete it so that it disappears from your media library. Read on to find out how to do both, as well as how to undelete your deletion if you change your mind.
How to Delete Playlist in Apple Music from iPhone
You can delete downloaded playlists in your Apple Music account directly from your iPhone. Follow these steps to do so:
- Open the Music app and select "Library".
- Choose “Playlists”.
- Find and long press the playlist you want to delete.
- Choose "Delete..." from the pop-up options.
- Select "Delete Downloads" if you want to delete the playlist from your iPhone's local storage. Otherwise, select "Remove from Library" to remove it from your media library.
How to Delete Playlist in Apple Music from Android
Although Apple Music is an Apple application, it is available on Android. Here's how to delete a playlist using an Android device:
- Launch Apple Music and select "Playlists".
- Press and hold on the playlist you want to delete.
- Tap "Delete..." in the pop-up options.
- Select "Delete downloads" to delete only the playlist from your device. You can also choose "Remove from Library" to remove it from your Apple Music library.
How to Delete Playlist in Apple Music from PC
The interface of the desktop version of Apple Music is slightly different from that of the mobile application; however, the process for deleting a playlist is similar. Follow these steps to delete an Apple Music playlist through your PC:
- Open Apple Music.
- Select the playlist you want to delete from the left pane.
- Right-click on it, then choose “Delete”. You can also press "delete" on your keyboard.
- Click "Delete Playlist" to confirm, then click "Move to Trash".
How to Delete a Playlist in Apple Music from iPad
Here's how to delete an Apple Music playlist from your iPad:
- Launch the Music app.
- In the "Library" tab, choose "Playlists".
- Long press on the playlist you want to delete.
- In the context menu, press “Delete…”.
- Choose "Delete Downloads" to remove it from your iPad or select "Remove from Library" to completely remove it from your media library.
Can I remove duplicates from a playlist?
You can find every instance of a song by the same artist in your music library (including your playlists). The song could appear in a soundtrack as well as an album, for example. You can also search for exact duplicates of songs. To do this using your PC:
1. Go to the Music app, then click "Songs" in the left pane.
2. Click a song, then do one of the following:
a. To find all instances of this song in your library, click “File,” “Library,” then “Show Duplicate Items.”
b. To find exact duplicates, hold down the “Option” key and click “File,” “Library,” then “Show Exact Duplicate Items.”
3. To remove duplicates, right-click a song and select "Delete" or just press the Delete key and confirm.
Can I delete a playlist without deleting the songs?
Yes you can. Select the "Remove from Library" option to remove the playlist itself. All related songs will still be available.
How do I organize my playlists into folders?
Follow these steps to organize your playlists into folders using your PC:
1. Open the Music app.
2. Select 'File', 'New', then 'Playlist Folder'.
3. Add a folder name and press Enter. To rename it, double-click it and enter the new name.
4. Now add to the folder by dragging your playlists, other folders or items into it.
Leaving the old to make room for the new
Apple Music offers an extensive catalog of music and lets you create unlimited playlists. As a music lover, it is quite easy to accumulate a huge collection of music. Fortunately, Apple Music will help you when you need to declutter and free up valuable music space on your device. You can delete a playlist downloaded only from your device, or you can delete one entirely from your Apple Music library.
Do you create your own playlists? If so, what types of playlists do you prefer? Tell us which ones you're most proud of in the comments section below.