Twitch is arguably the most popular game streaming platform, but it's not necessarily for everyone. If you are one of those people who installed Twitch but no longer want to keep their account, you are in luck. In this article, we'll show you how to delete a Twitch account for the many platforms it's available on, as well as other useful account-related information.
How to Delete a Twitch Account from a Windows PC, Mac, or Chromebook
Unlike the deactivation feature, deleting your Twitch account cannot be done directly from your current Twitch page. You'll need a direct link to Twitch's account deletion feature to be able to do this. Once your account is deleted, all relevant information will be erased, including your existing subscriptions, followers, and videos. If you still want to continue, you can follow these steps:
- Log in to your Twitch Account.
- In your web browser's address bar, type https://www.twitch.tv/user/delete-account or click this link to go to the account deletion page.
- Type the name of the account you want to delete.
- Optionally, you can also enter the reason why you want to delete your account.
- Click the Delete Account button.
- You will be asked to enter your password in a confirmation window.
- Click on Verify.
- You will be redirected to your home page, with a message that your Twitch account has been deleted. Navigate away or refresh this page to finalize the process.
- Your account should now be deleted.
How to Delete Twitch Account from iPhone
Unlike most Twitch features, the account deletion option isn't really available on the mobile version of the app. If you want to delete your account on an iPhone, you'll still need to go to the account deletion page on a web browser. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open your Twitch app and sign in.
- Open your mobile browser and type https://www.twitch.tv/user/delete-account or tap this link.
- Proceed with deleting the account as instructed in the Windows, Mac or Chromebook instructions given above.
How to Delete Twitch Account from Android Device
Twitch is a platform independent application. As such, deleting your account on an Android device will be the same process as on an iPhone. The mobile app itself does not have the direct functionality, and so you will need to go to the delete account link. Refer to the instructions given on the iPhone part above.
How to Delete a Twitch Account from a Firestick
If you use an Amazon Firestick to watch Twitch videos, deleting your account while using the device will be similar to deleting on a computer. As mentioned, Twitch is not a platform specific app and there is no direct removal link on the Twitch page itself. If you want to do this on a Firestick, follow these steps:
- On your Firestick homepage, click the Search icon at the top left of the screen.
- Type your current web browser. If you don't have one installed, you can download one of the following:
1. Silk for Amazon.
2. Firefox for Fire TV
You can also use other browsers, but you will need the ability to download from unknown sources.
- On your web browser, go to your Twitch Account page and log in.
- Type https://www.twitch.tv/user/delete-account on your web browser. From there, the procedure is exactly the same as on a Windows PC, Mac or Chromebook. Please refer to the instructions given above.
How to Delete Twitch Account from Roku Device
As with the other devices mentioned in this article, deleting your Twitch account on a Roku will need to be done on a web browser. Unlike other platforms, however, this isn't as easy to do on a Roku as the device's web browsing capabilities aren't as advanced as its contemporaries. You're really better off using your phone to do this.
If you still want to accomplish this on your Roku, you can do so by doing the following:
- On your Roku homepage, choose Search from the menu.
- Type X Web Browser or POPRISM Web Browser.
- Install these apps as instructed.
- Open the browser application you have chosen. From there, log into your Twitch account.
- Follow the instructions given on the Windows PC, Mac or Chromebook above.
How to Delete a Twitch Account from an Apple TV
For some reason, Apple hasn't developed a web browser suitable for the Apple TV yet, and doesn't seem to be in a rush to do so. As deleting your Twitch account must be done on the specific account deletion webpage, it cannot be done on your Apple TV because no web browser is available.
You can browse the web on your Apple TV using AirPlay, but that means you'll be using an iPhone or Mac to do so. If you already own these devices, there is no point in adding another layer of complexity by performing the account deletion process on the Apple TV. Technically, you can install a browser on your Apple TV by modifying lines of code in the OS, but it's too complicated and not really worth the effort.
How to deactivate your Twitch account
If instead of permanently deleting your Twitch account, you only want to deactivate it for a certain period of time, then this process is easier than account deletion. The process to do this is as follows:
Deactivate your Twitch account on a desktop computer
- Open and log into your Twitch account.
- Click your profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, choose and click Settings.
- Scroll down until you see the "Deactivate your Twitch account" tab.
- Click on the Deactivate account page link.
- Type the name of the account you want to disable. Optionally, you can also enter the reason why you want to deactivate your account.
- Click Deactivate Account.
- In the pop-up window that appears, enter your password and click Verify.
- You will then receive a message indicating that your account has been deactivated.
Deactivate your Twitch account on a mobile device
Similar to account deletion, the account deactivation feature is not available on the mobile app itself. To deactivate your Twitch account on a mobile device, open your mobile web browser application and then follow the instructions given above for Deactivating your Twitch account on a desktop computer.
When you deactivate your account, Twitch will still keep records of your private information, as well as your subscriber list, followers, and any videos you may have on your account. This means that if you change your mind and want your old account back, you can do so by reactivating it.
How to reactivate your Twitch account
If you want to reactivate your account, you can do so by doing the following on a web browser:
- Open Tic.
- In the login window, enter your disabled username and password.
- A message will appear telling you that the current account is disabled. Click Reactivate.
- You will receive another message informing you that the account has been reactivated. Click Continue to go to the Twitch home page.
Important things to remember before deleting or deactivating your account
Before deleting or deactivating your account, it's important to keep a few things in mind before proceeding:
- If you have other accounts, whether on social media or gaming services, consider disconnecting them before deleting or deactivating your account. This makes it easier for you to connect these accounts to another channel if you want to create a new one.
- If you only deactivate your account, any subscriptions that are not renewed while your account is offline will need to be manually renewed. Automatic subscriptions do not apply when your account is deactivated. Go to the Twitch subscription page to see all of your expired subscriptions and reactivate them. If you deleted your account, all of your subscription records will also be deleted.
- If you deleted your Twitch account but have since changed your mind, you can still recover your channel by reactivating it as described above. This can only be done if the deletion request was made within 90 days of your reactivation request. Once this period has elapsed, the deletion is final and irreversible.
- If you only deactivated your account, all Bits balance, channel tracking, subscribers and relevant channel information will be fully restored upon reactivation.
- Keep in mind that Twitch periodically recycles accounts and usernames after a certain period of time has passed without any activity. If you deactivated your account, you have 12 months before Twitch recovers the account. All account information will be deleted and the username will once again be publicly available. This 12-month refresher period also applies to accounts that have not been deactivated but have shown no signs of activity. To avoid this, simply log into your account and the countdown will reset.
- It is possible to create multiple Twitch accounts if you wish. This option is available to any user with a verified email account. This option is disabled by default but can be enabled by doing the following:
- Click your profile icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Choose and click Settings from the menu.
- In the tabs, click on Settings and privacy.
- Under Contact, turn on the toggle for "Enable additional account creation."
Knowing how to delete a Twitch account is handy information to have, especially if you're just trying out the service. It's always a good idea to remove personal data from sites you really don't intend to use. Since signing up for a Twitch account is free, you can always do it again if you ever change your mind.
Have you ever faced any issues while deleting your Twitch account? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.