Email has become essential to life online. Most people now have at least two email accounts (usually a primary and a secondary). Microsoft Outlook allows you to be logged in to multiple accounts simultaneously (up to 20 per device). If you have a lot of email accounts set up on your device, you may find that you check some more than others and want to remove some from the list.
Read on to learn how to do this through Outlook (for Windows or Mac) and the Outlook app (for iOS or Android).
Notes: After deleting an Outlook account, you can still access it by logging back in or logging in on another device.
How to Delete an Account from iPhone Outlook App
You can delete your account using the Outlook for iOS app by doing the following:
- Open the Outlook app.
- Go to "Settings" and select the account you want to delete.
- Tap "Delete Account" and then "Delete" to confirm.
How to delete an account from Android Outlook app
Follow these steps to remove it using the Outlook for Android app:
- Launch the Outlook application.
- Go to "Settings".
- Select the account you want to remove, then tap "Remove Account".
- Press "Delete" again to confirm.
How to Delete Account from Outlook on Windows 10 PC
Here's how to delete your Outlook account using Windows 10:
- Open Outlook and select "File", then "Info".
- Choose the “Account Settings” drop-down menu, then “Account Settings”.
- Select the account you want to delete, then click "Delete". A warning message will appear stating that all offline cached content for your account will be deleted. This will affect any content stored locally on your computer.
- Choose “OK” to confirm.
How to Delete Account from Outlook on Mac
By following the steps below, you can remove an account from Outlook on a Mac:
- Open Outlook.
- Click on "Outlook" in the top menu bar.
- Select "Preferences", then "Accounts".
- Click the account you want to remove, then click the minus (-) icon in the lower left corner.
- Click "Remove" on the pop-up warning message.
How do I permanently delete my Outlook email account?
Notes: This method will permanently close your Outlook account. Your data will be deleted from the server and cannot be recovered, nor will you have access to other Microsoft services like OneDrive and Skype through it.
Follow these steps to permanently delete your account:
1. Go to this link to close your account.
2. There you will be prompted to sign in. Do this with the account you want to delete.
3. Verify that the current Microsoft account is displayed, then choose "Next".
4. Go through the list, then check the boxes to agree that you have read the items.
5. Select the reason for account closure from the "Select a reason" drop-down list.
6. Choose “Mark account for closure”.
How to delete all Outlook profiles?
Suppose you are using Outlook as your primary email application. At some point, you may need to delete a corrupt profile. Sometimes you can fix a corrupted file by adding a new profile using a different name, or you can delete it via "Control Panel".
Here's how to delete Outlook profiles or Office 365 accounts using Windows 10:
1. Open “Control Panel” (find it in your start menu or search for it).
2. Choose "User Accounts", then "Mail".
3. Via the "Mail Setup" window, choose the "Show Profiles" option.
4. Select the profile you want to delete, then select "Delete".
5. Choose "Yes" to confirm in the pop-up window, then "OK".
How to remove a connected account from Outlook?
If you don't want another email account connected to Outlook.com, you can remove it from Outlook.com. You will only delete the connection and not the email account or messages. Follow these steps to delete an account connected through Outlook.com:
1. Log in to your Outlook.com Account.
2. Click on “Settings”, “View all Outlook settings”, then “Synchronize emails”.
3. Via "Manage your connected accounts", hover your cursor over the account you want to delete, press "Delete", then "Save".
Once the account is deleted from Outlook.com, you can delete emails from the connected account.
Maintenance of your Outlook accounts
As Microsoft's main email, calendar, and contacts program, Outlook comes in many guises. The Outlook app for iOS and Android, Outlook.com, and the Outlook desktop app are among them. They allow access to your account from any device, although they each work slightly differently.
One feature they all have in common is that you can delete an account from any device without affecting your data. However, deleting an account is quite different. Once your account is deleted, all data is permanently removed from the server and you will no longer have access to other Microsoft services through it.
How many email accounts do you have? If there is more than one, do they all receive the same attention? Tell us about it in the comments section below.