The Recycle Bin has been a part of the Windows desktop since Windows 95 launched over 20 years ago. For many users, the presence of the Recycle Bin on the desktop provides a quick way to view and restore deleted files, or send files to their destiny by emptying them.
But not all users want or need the Recycle Bin on their desktop, maybe because they have disabled its functionality in Windows, or because they prefer a clean desktop with few or no icons. . If you find yourself in the latter category of users, here's how to remove the Recycle Bin icon from the Windows 10 desktop.
Removing Recycle Bin from Windows 10 Desktop
- To get started, right-click on the desktop and choose Personalize their campaigns.
- Then select Topics: from the list of subsections on the left.
- Then click Desktop icon settings on the right side of the window.
- Another new window, titled Desktop icon settings, will appear. In the Desktop icons at the top of the window, you'll see checkboxes for all the familiar Windows system icons. In a typical Windows 10 installation, only Basket will be checked.
- Go ahead and uncheck the box next to Trash, then click Apply at the bottom of the window to hide the Recycle Bin from your Windows 10 desktop. You will see that the Recycle Bin icon disappears instantly.
Note that hiding the Recycle Bin icon does not disable or change the functionality of the Recycle Bin in Windows 10. The Recycle Bin will still exist in the background and recover your deleted files based on your size and duration preferences.
Go to trash
Now that you've removed it from your desktop, you're probably wondering how you can access it. Let's go now.
- To access or empty the Recycle Bin after hiding its icon on your desktop, launch a new File Explorer window, then type "Recycle Bin" in the File Explorer address bar. This will take you straight to the Recycle Bin and show you all the files in it.
Alternatively, you can reverse the above steps to temporarily restore the trash icon, then right-click it and choose Pin to start. This will create a Recycle Bin tile in your Windows 10 Start menu.
Desktop icon removal
As you have now seen, deleting the Recycle Bin from your Windows 10 desktop is quite simple.
Did you have any problems removing the trash? Do you know another solution? Share your thoughts below.