Bitdefender is one of the best antiviruses on the market. For a reasonable price, users get comprehensive online threat prevention and defense, ransomware remediation, as well as a VPN.
But there comes a time when your antivirus system is a little too protective. For example, if you are trying to install legitimate software and Bitdefender prevents you from doing so, you may need to disable it for a while.
The Bitdefender Total Security interface has several modules that you can control, including disabling the online threat shield. Why you choose to disable Bitdefender is up to you, but here are all the steps to do so.
How to temporarily disable Bitdefender
If your Bitdefender is interfering with an application you want to install or use, you will need to temporarily disable it. Luckily, the Bitdefender Total Security app lets you do this effortlessly. Here's how it works:
- Launch the Bitdefender Total Security application from your desktop.
- On the left side of the main interface, choose the “Protection” section.
- Click "Open" in the "Antivirus" section.
- In the “Advanced” tab, select “Bitdefender Shield”.
- A pop-up window will appear. You will be prompted to select how long you want to keep the protection disabled. Select the duration and click "OK".
After the selected time has elapsed, Bitdefender will automatically activate the protection shield.
To disable additional features, you can return to the "Protection" section and disable the toggle buttons for:
- Ransomware Fix
You can also open the "Advanced Threat Defense" section and disable all features. When you want Bitdefender to start protecting your computer again, be sure to turn the toggles back on.
How to permanently disable Bitdefender
Bitdefender offers an option to disable the application permanently if needed. Naturally, this is not recommended, but if you try to test another antivirus, you may need to disable Bitdefender for much longer.
The process is the same as for temporarily disabling Bitdefender – but you'll need to choose a different option from the drop-down menu. Here's how it works precisely:
- Open the Bitdefender Total Security application on your computer.
- Select the "Protection" section on the left side of the interface.
- In the “Antivirus” section, click “Open”.
- Switch to the “Advanced” tab and click on “Bitdefender Shield”.
- A new window will appear. From the drop-down menu, select “Permanently”.
- Select "OK".
To re-enable Bitdefender, go to the “Protection” window again and in the “Antivirus” section, move the Bitdefender Shield toggle button.
How to disable Bitdefender VPN
When you buy Bitdefender Total Security, a VPN is part of the package. However, the service only offers 200MB per day, and if you want unlimited access, Bitdefender offers a separate subscription.
Therefore, it makes sense that users do not keep the VPN on all the time and often need to turn it off. Again, the Bitdefender Total Security interface offers an effortless solution:
- In the left pane, select “Privacy”.
- Select the “VPN” module and click on “Open VPN”.
- If the VPN is currently connected, click to disconnect it.
That's all there is to it. The next time you need to use a VPN, follow the same steps and connect.
How to disable Bitdefender Endpoint Security tools
Endpoint Security tools in your antivirus system are intended to integrate additional features and protections against threats caused by human error and sophisticated malicious attacks.
However, sometimes it is necessary to remove Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools or BEST. If the current installation is corrupt or the endpoints have issues due to previous installations, you will need to uninstall the BEST.
It is also necessary to use the uninstall tool to remove the security agent from the computer. Here's what that process looks like:
- Download this tool to your computer.
- Launch the command prompt on your computer.
- Navigate to the folder where you saved the uninstall package.
- Run this command:
BEST_uninstallTool.exe /bdparams /password= your_plain_text_password
Remember that you will need administrator rights on your computer to perform this task.
How to disable Bitdefender Safepay
Staying safe online when using banking tools and shopping is essential but not always easy. If you have a Bitdefender license, you can use the Safepay browser to perform these activities without worry.
It is a sealed environment designed to protect your information and keep it safe from hackers. However, the Safepay functionality can be a bit cumbersome, and not everyone wants to use designated browsers every time they want to check their bank account online.
The problem is that when the Safepay feature is enabled, each time you want to make a transaction, Bitdefender prompts you to use Safepay. The good news is that you can disable this feature and only use Safepay when you want. Here's how to achieve it:
- Open the Bitdefender Total Security interface.
- Go to the "Privacy" section on the left side.
- Under "Safepay", select "Settings".
- Switch to the "Settings" tab again.
- You will see three toggle switches. Make sure to disable "Safepay notifications" and "Automatically open Bitdefender Safepay".
By disabling these features, websites will not send you notifications to open certain pages with Safepay, and even the bookmarked site will not automatically launch in that browser.
How to disable automatic renewal in Bitdefender
Bitdefender offers several subscription plans to its users, all billed annually. You can get Bitdefender for one device or use it on five devices.
When you purchase the antivirus, Bitdefender offers an auto-renewal option to ensure users don't forget to extend their licenses. However, not everyone is sure to choose to renew Bitdefender subscription, so they prefer to turn off the auto-renewal feature.
Bitdefender has an online platform that simplifies subscription management. It's called Bitdefender Central, and here's how to use it.
If you purchased Bitdefender with the same email address you use to log in to Central, follow these steps:
- Access your Bitdefender Central Account.
- Select the "My Subscriptions" section on the left side of the window.
- Click on “My payments” at the very top of the page.
- Select "Show details" next to the subscription you want to edit.
- A new page will open, displaying your purchase history. Select "Manage your subscription renewal options".
- Click on “Stop automatic renewal”.
You will receive an automated email notifying you that the change was successful.
If you purchased Bitdefender with a different email address that you use to log in to Central, follow these steps:
- Access Bitdefender 2Checkout Account, an authorized provider for Bitdefender products.
- Select the "My Products" tab.
- Click "Stop automatic subscription renewal" on each active subscription.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking you to confirm the selection. Click on the “Stop Auto-Renewal” option.
- Choose or enter a reason to cancel auto-renewal.
- Select "Stop Auto-Renewal" again.
Notes: Even if you forget to turn off auto-renewal immediately, Bitdefender will send you a reminder that your subscription expires seven days before charging you again.
Manage your Bitdefender successfully
It's hard to imagine having an online experience without an effective antivirus system. Bitdefender does a great job of protecting your data, blocking spam, and keeping those phishing attacks at bay.
But when it's overprotective, you need to turn it off. Bitdefender has a user-friendly interface, divided into modules and sections, and simple management. You can use the built-in Safepay browser, but not every time.
The same applies to their VPN feature; Plus, while auto-renewal can be handy, you don't have to be charged for another subscription until it works for you.
Do you use Bitdefender? Is it easy to disable the shield and other features? Let us know in the comments section below.