Chatting with other players and developers is a great way to communicate and meet new friends who share your same gaming interests. And with that communication in mind, the Roblox gaming platform filters all chat messages to ensure that no inappropriate content or personal information is shared.
But even with those safeguards in place, Roblox gives you even more control. If you don't find the chat interesting or if it's preventing you from playing, you can always turn it off completely.
If you want to learn how to disable chat in Roblox, you've come to the right place. In this article, we are going to discuss what you need to do to turn it off. In addition, we will give an overview of the different privacy and security rules established by Roblox.
How to Disable Chat in Roblox on PC
If you're using a PC, follow the steps below to disable in-game chat:
- Open your browser and navigate to the Roblox website.
- Sign into your account.
- Tap the gear icon in the top right and select "Settings".
- Select "Confidentiality".
- Select "Nobody" from the drop-down menu under "Who can chat with me?" »
Keep in mind that this change only affects in-game chat. If you want to disable in-app chat, repeat these steps and select "Nobody" under "Who can chat with me in the app?" »
How to Disable Chat in Roblox on Mobile App
Many like to play Roblox games on a smaller screen. If you are one of them and want to disable chat using the mobile app, follow these instructions:
- Open the Roblox app.
- Tap the three dots in the lower right corner.
- Tap “Settings”.
- Tap "Privacy".
- Search for "Who can chat with me" and select "Nobody" from the drop-down menu.
If you want to make sure no one can chat with you even when you're not playing, repeat these steps and select "Nobody" under "Who can chat with me in the app?" »
How to Disable Chat in Roblox Studio
Roblox Studio is the Roblox game creation platform, available for Windows and Mac.
You can disable chat using Roblox studio by following the steps below:
- Open Roblox Studio.
- Select the plus icon next to "StarterGui" on the right side.
- Select “LocalScript”.
- Name the local script. We suggest using "Disable Chat".
- Type "game:GetService("StarterGui"):SetCoreGuiEnabled("Chat", false)" into the window.
After applying the code, you will not see the chat box and the chat option will not be available.
How to disable secure chat in Roblox
Since Roblox is kid-friendly and has a wide range of games for young audiences, it does everything to keep them safe. It allows parents to track their kids' activity, filter out profanity, inappropriate language, personal information, and more. One of the available options is Safe Chat.
Safe Chat allows players and developers to communicate through a moderated mode, with filters that prevent revealing personal information such as names, home addresses, etc. Users with this feature face harsher censorship and cannot use certain languages to communicate with others.
Depending on the age of the user, this option may be enabled automatically. So, if the user is under 13, the Safe Chat feature will automatically be enabled and there is no way to disable it.
You might be wondering if it is possible to just change the date of birth and remove the Safe Chat feature. If the registered account is under 13, Roblox will not allow you to edit it. However, if you got the date wrong by accident and are over 13, you can contact Roblox Customer Support. You will see an online form that you need to fill out and explain your problem in detail. Customer service will contact you as soon as possible to help you correct the error if possible.
On your 13th birthday, privacy settings will be updated automatically and Safe Chat will be disabled. If that doesn't happen, you'll need to contact Roblox Customer Support and sort it out.
How do I monitor my child's activity on Roblox?
As mentioned, Roblox has plenty of kid-friendly games and ensures kids are safe online while playing. If your kid likes to play online games, you can create an account in your name and track their Roblox activity.
To monitor their history, you will need to log in to the account. Here's what you can track:
· Chat – You can monitor this by tapping on the “Chat” window in the lower right corner of the web version or by tapping on the message bubble in the mobile app.
· Messages – In addition to viewing chats, you can also view your child's private message history. In the web version, tap the three lines in the upper left corner, then select "Messages". In the mobile app, tap the three dots in the lower right corner and tap "Messages".
· Friends – Roblox allows you to review your child's friends and followers. If you're using the web version, tap the three lines in the top left corner and select "Friends". In the mobile app, tap the three dots and select "Friends".
· Games – Lots of customization options let you choose which games are available for your child. You can always check what games they've played recently and make sure they're appropriate by selecting the "Home" button in both the web version and the mobile app.
· Creations and transactions can only be tracked using your browser.
Roblox cares about your safety
As a child-friendly service, Roblox focuses on protecting the privacy and security of its users. Chatting with other users is often helpful and fun, but Roblox limits chat options based on users' ages. This way, Roblox ensures that there is no inappropriate language or sharing of personal information.
If users are over 13, they can customize their chat options. If you're a parent and created an account for your child under 13, you can do it for them.
We hope this article helped you learn more about how to disable chat in Roblox. Along with that, we hope you understood when it is possible to change your age and adjust chat settings.
What chat settings have you customized in Roblox? Do you play games with chat enabled or disabled? Tell us in the comments section below.