By default, Facebook Messenger users receive a notification each time their sent message has been read. This is a rather useful feature that lets you know that the recipient has been notified. However, sometimes read receipts work against you.
If you're wondering how to turn off read receipts in the Facebook Messenger app, we're here to help. This article explains how to keep your read messages secret on Android, iPhone and PC. Plus, we'll answer common questions related to the topic, such as whether you'll still know if someone reads your message if you turn off receipts.
How to Disable Messenger Read Receipts on iPhone App
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to disable read receipts in Facebook Messenger app on iPhone. However, there is a way to hide your online status. This will turn off the green light that appears next to your name each time you log into your account, indicating that you are available for chat. Here's how:
- Launch the Messenger app.
- Tap your profile icon in the top left.
- Tap "Active Status".
- Move the toggle next to "Show when active" to the "Off" position.
- Confirm by pressing “Disable”.
If you are still wondering how to read that received message without telling the sender, we have a solution. Follow the steps below:
- Head to your phone's Settings app.
- Move the switch next to "Airplane Mode" to the "On" position. It should turn green.
- Launch the Messenger application and open the necessary conversation.
- After reading the message, close the app and make sure to drag it out of your app drawer.
- Disable airplane mode.
Since airplane mode disables the network connection, the sender will not be notified when their message is read. You can also use dedicated third-party apps to "unsee" Facebook messages.
How to Disable Messenger Read Receipts on Android App
If you're wondering how to turn off read receipts in the Facebook Messenger Android app, we've got bad news — there's no easy way to do it. Facebook does not allow users to choose whether they want to send read receipts to message senders. Fortunately, we found a way around it. Follow the instructions below:
- Swipe from the top of your phone screen to the middle to access the Quick Settings menu.
- Tap the airplane icon to activate airplane mode.
- Head to Messenger and open the conversation containing the unread message.
- After reading the message, close the Messenger app.
- Tap the square icon in the lower right corner of your screen to view all apps running in the background. If you see Messenger in the list, swipe it.
- Swipe from the top to the middle of your screen and tap the airplane icon again to turn Airplane Mode off.
Airplane mode disables the network connection so that the sender of the message does not receive the read message receipt.
How to Disable Messenger Read Receipts on PC
Facebook users cannot turn off read message receipts. However, if you have a Windows laptop, we have a way to overcome this limitation. Follow the instructions below:
- Download the Messenger Desktop app. A standard browser version of Messenger will not do.
- Log into your Facebook account through the app.
- Click the Start button in the lower right and type "Flight Mode".
- Open the Flight Mode menu and move the toggle button to turn it on.
- Launch the Messenger Desktop app and open the conversation containing the unread message.
- After reading the message, close the application.
- Go to the Flight Mode menu again and turn the mode off.
Enabling airplane mode works because it disables the network connection, just like airplane mode for smartphones. If you don't want to lose internet connection or don't have airplane mode, you can use third-party apps like Facebook Invisible. Here's how to use it:
- Install the application on your PC. Once you do, the app logo icon will appear next to your browser's address bar.
- Click the app logo icon.
- Check the box next to "Block the chat 'seen' feature." »
That's it; any read message receipt in the chosen Facebook chat will be disabled.
If I turn off read receipts, will I still see when other people read my messages?
When you turn off send receipts, in apps like WhatsApp, you also stop receiving receipts that other users are reading your messages. In other words, it's a double-ended feature. However, the Messenger app does not allow users to disable read receipts.
Enabling airplane mode or using third-party "invisible message" apps does not affect Facebook functionality. You'll still see when someone reads your messages, unless they use the same tricks to hide read receipts.
If I turn off my active status, will I still see when others are online?
Although Facebook doesn't let you turn off your read receipts, you can turn off your online status indicator. After that, other Facebook users will have no way of knowing when you are logged into the app. You'll still be able to see when others are online, unless they've disabled the feature as well.
keep it secret
Now that you know how to bypass Facebook Messenger's read receipt feature, you can avoid embarrassing situations and the guilt of not immediately responding to messages. If you use third-party apps not to read messages, make sure to read reviews before installing and don't download anything from sketchy websites. Hopefully Facebook will allow users to disable read receipts in the future.
What feature do you really miss in the Facebook Messenger app? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.