YouTube is the second most popular browser in the world after Google. While millions of people enjoy watching videos and listening to music on the platform, others prefer to take it to the next level and download the music for offline enjoyment. If you belong to the second category and are wondering how to go about it, you have come to the right place.
Below we are going to cover several free websites to convert YouTube videos to MP3. We will also discuss a premium option, which is the official YouTube Music app. The free options may work best for those who are only looking to download a song or plan to do so occasionally. On the other hand, anyone looking for ways to download music from YouTube regularly should consider the premium option.
Let's go right inside.
4k video downloader
4k Video Downloader is a popular app that lets you save entire playlists and channels directly from YouTube. With over two million downloads, it is one of the most used options for downloading music from the video platform. You can download your favorite videos, watch later and other playlists all at once.
This free MP3 downloader allows you to download videos in MP3 format from other websites including Facebook and Vimeo. You can save files in MP3, M4A or OGG format without annoying ads getting in your way. This service is excellent for casual music downloading. It comes with a simple interface and it is very easy to use.
Here is how to download music from 4K Video Downloader:
- Download 4K YouTube Downloader from this link. The software works on all operating systems – Windows, Mac or Linux.
- Install the application on your computer.
- Launch YouTube on your browser.
- Find a music video or playlist you want to download.
- Copy its URL from the address bar.
- Open the 4K YouTube to MP3 Downloader app that you just installed on your computer.
- Select the "Paste link" option at the top left of the screen.
- The application will then retrieve the information from this URL.
- When downloading a playlist, the program will ask you if you want to download all or just one video. Select "Download All" if that's what you want to do.
- Wait for the audio to download.
- The files are now saved to your computer. You can transfer them to your phone or USB drive and enjoy them wherever you go.
MP3Skull is a free online YouTube video converter and downloader. The website offers fast conversions with no queues and lets you download videos up to two hours long. You don't need to register or download their software, nor will you see any ads or pop-ups while browsing. A nice feature is that you can convert videos which are not available or blocked in your country.
Besides the two-hour limit, the website requires that videos are not age-restricted, available on YouTube and not deleted, and not live-streamed. In case the conversion gets stuck, they recommend deleting your browser cache and starting over.
Follow the steps below to download music from YouTube using MP3Skull.
- Find the YouTube video you want to download.
- Copy its URL from the address bar.
- Paste it on the MP3Skull converter on this page.
- Click the "Convert" button to start the conversion.
- Wait for the file to be converted.
- Click the "Download" button to finish.
- Open the file with your favorite music player. Now you can enjoy the songs on your computer or transfer them to other devices.
Youtube to mp3
YouTube to MP3 is one of the most convenient solutions to download individual links from YouTube. The use of the software is completely free and no registration or installation is required. Unlike 4K Video Downloader software, it also offers you unlimited downloads.
Follow the steps below to convert and download YouTube video from this website:
- Open this link using your computer or mobile device.
- Paste the URL of the YouTube video you want to download into the box displayed on the main page.
- Click the "Go" button.
- Select the MP3 option for the file type and choose the quality. You can choose between 64 kbps and 320 kbps. The lower the compression level, the smaller the file will be, at the expense of quality. You naturally want to go for a higher quality (and therefore, number) unless you save space.
- Click "Convert".
- Wait for the conversion process to complete.
- Download the file by clicking the "Download" button.
- The file is now on your computer and you can play it on your favorite music player or transfer it to other devices.
Consulting: Users with limited storage space on their computers may appreciate the “Save to Dropbox” option which allows them to save the song using their Dropbox account and online storage.
YouTube Music app download for offline
We have great news for anyone who spends a good part of their day listening to music on YouTube. A special app called YouTube Music lets you download MP3s of your favorite videos.
You can use the application on your PC (Windows 10, Mac, Linux) or your Android and iOS smartphone. The software allows you to search for artists, albums and genres. When you select your favorite song or artist, the app launches a playlist of recommended channels. It also keeps track of your music and lets you quickly access it when you return to the app.
By signing up for YouTube Music Premium subscription, you can listen to these songs offline. If you're a student, you'll love their 50% student pricing, which means you only have to pay $4,99 per month for the service.
There are many advantages to using the premium version, including:
- No ads when playing songs or videos
- Play music in the background of your device
- Download music for offline listening
Follow the steps below to download music from YouTube using this app:
- Download the YouTube Music app from Google Play or App Store. To get the Desktop Player version, click here.
- If you haven't already, sign up for the premium account. You can do this through your browser by logging into your YouTube account and going to the premium page.
- Open the YouTube Music app on your computer or mobile device.
- Find the songs or video playlists you want to download offline.
- Play the song or playlist.
- Tap the menu (three vertical dots at the top of the screen) and tap "Download."
- You can now find the song when you go to your "Library", then "Downloads".
A note on legality
It is important to say a few words about the legality of music downloads. Basically, it depends on the ownership policy of the video.
You can most certainly upload videos that are your property or your personal YouTube videos. It is also allowed to download unencrypted public domain videos. You can always search for such videos by typing "public domain" or "unencrypted" videos.
However, you should not download copyrighted videos without the permission of the owner. Most of the websites mentioned state in their terms and services that you should not upload or make available any copyrighted material, material protected by trademark laws or subject to third party proprietary rights without permission of the rightful owner.
Google is authorized to take action against anyone who uploads a YouTube video using illegal tools or services without the permission of the owner.
Can I download Youtube on my iPhone or Android?
Yes, you can download YouTube songs to your mobile device. There are also different ways to do it. Most of the programs we have listed in the guide are accessible from mobile devices. However, YouTube to MP3 states that only Android users can convert videos with their smartphones.
Overall, downloading YouTube songs to mobile devices is most convenient (and safest) through the YouTube Music app. It's a premium app, but it's worth it for anyone who loves music on a daily basis and doesn't mind spending $9,99 a month.
Will I catch malware using third-party YouTube download sites?
A significant number of malware infections are the result of downloads from untrustworthy sources. Many websites are primarily designed to infect computers by offering "legitimate" download services. In short: yes, you can get malware using third party download sites. Not all websites are contagious, but you should be careful when visiting them and make sure you click on the right buttons.
We recommend that you update your antivirus (or get one if you're not already using it) before visiting such sites. To avoid getting scammed, use the websites we've recommended in this guide.
Take music with you wherever you go
Downloading music from YouTube can come in handy when you're hitting the road, running, or just saving login data. There's no reason for you to be left without your favorite beats all the time. Several websites can help put music in everyone's pocket, regardless of internet connection.
You should now be able to download YouTube songs and playlists for free or sign up for YouTube Music Premium for unlimited music downloads. Finally, when opting for free converter website services, beware of the legal aspects and do not download copyrighted content unless you have the owner's consent.
Which video converter site was your favorite? Are you considering subscribing to YouTube Premium? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.