If you want to make certain words stand out from the rest of your text, one option is to underline the desired word. Photoshop lets you choose from countless options for colors, borders, opacity, and more, and has plenty of text-outline alternatives, depending on which version you're using.
If you want to learn how to make your text stand out, you've come to the right place. This article will explain how to outline text in Photoshop and provide detailed step-by-step guides on the best methods.
How to Draw Text in Photoshop Elements
If you're using Photoshop Elements and want to make your text stand out, follow the steps below:
- Launch Photoshop Elements and open an existing document if you have one, or create a new one.
- Type the text you want to highlight. Make sure you can see it clearly by zooming in or increasing the size.
- Copy the layer (Ctrl + J).
- Rename layers to know which one you are working on. We recommend that you work on the copied version and leave the original untouched. If you make a mistake, you can always go back to the original and start over.
- Go to “Layer”.
- Press "Layer Style".
- Open "Style Settings".
- Select “Stroke”. Customize the settings, including color, size, and opacity, and hit "OK."
There is also another method you can use:
- Select the text you want to highlight by holding down the Ctrl key on Windows or the Command key on a Mac, then click on the layer thumbnail.
- Create a new layer.
- Go to “Select”.
- Tap "Edit", then select "Develop". Here you can customize selected borders.
- Select the paint bucket, choose the color and click anywhere between the text and the borders.
- Deselect the text.
- Turn off the text layer.
How to Trace Text in Photoshop for Print
When preparing your file for printing, you need to convert text to outlines. This way you ensure that the changes you have made to your font are preserved and the position of the text is saved.
The process is simple and only requires a few steps:
- Right-click on the text layer.
- Tap "Convert to Shape".
- Save your file.
Can You Easily Outline Text in Photoshop on an iPad
Unfortunately, it's not possible to trace text in Photoshop if you're using an iPad. You can customize your text by changing its font, color, opacity, etc., but you cannot describe it.
How to Draw Text in Photoshop CS6
If you're using Photoshop CS6 and want to make your text stand out, follow the steps below:
- Launch Photoshop and type the text you want to highlight or open an existing document.
- Go to the layers section, right click on the text layer and select "Blending Options".
- Check the box next to "AVC".
- Customize the size, position, blending mode, opacity, and outline color.
- When you are done, press “OK”.
How to Draw Text in Photoshop CS3
Text layout in Photoshop CS3 is simple and can be done in a few steps. Follow the instructions below to describe your text:
- Launch Photoshop and type in the text you want to highlight or upload an existing document.
- Hold down the Ctrl or Command key on your keyboard and select the text layer.
- Press "Select", then "Edit" and select "Develop".
- Expand your text to the size of the outlines you want. The larger you enlarge the text, the larger the outline. You will notice that the dotted lines around your text have grown. The space between the font and the dotted lines will be the outline.
- Make sure the text layer is selected and press the bottom right button to add a new one.
- Select the paint bucket tool on the left.
- Choose your outline color.
- Click anywhere on the text to apply the color and deselect the text.
- Select "Layer 1" and drag it below the text layer.
Make your text stand out
Whether you're creating a logo, business card, art design, or just want to make your text stand out, it's possible to do it in Photoshop in just a few steps. Although the process may be different depending on the version you are using, writing text is not difficult and can have many advantages.
We hope this guide has helped you learn how to outline text in Photoshop and make it stand out.
Do you often make your text stand out by describing it? What method do you use for this? Tell us in the comments section below.