Apple Maps is a mapping app that comes with all of today's iPhones and iPads. As a competitor to Google Maps, you can rely on it to get your bearings. One of the most important features is the pin feature, which lets you drop a pin anywhere and come back to it later.
While pins are handy to come back to later, it's also important to know how to remove them. Here you will find out how to add and remove them. Read on for all the details.
Apple Maps: How to Drop or Delete a Pin on an iPhone
When you open Apple Maps, you'll see a blue pin pointing to your current location. It moves with you, which means you can't use it to mark areas you want to return to later. However, you can use the pins feature to drop a red pin anywhere your finger can touch.
The red pin is handy for sharing addresses and more. However, you can only deposit one at a time. Don't worry if you want multiple pins, because there are workarounds that we'll talk about later.
First, we will list the steps to drop a pin.
- Launch Apple Maps on your iPhone.
- Use your finger to drag the map to a location you want to pin.
- Long press the location.
- A red pin will appear and you can select "Change location".
- When you see the satellite image of the area, adjust until you have the pin precisely where you want it.
- Select "Done" to complete.
If you don't want to drag the map, you can replace step 2 by typing an address in the search bar. After that, you can pin the location as usual by following the remaining steps.
A helpful tip is that if you can't locate a location, zooming in will probably help. Sometimes additional precision is enough.
To delete a pin, follow these instructions:
- Open Apple Maps.
- Find your pin.
- Long press the pin.
- Select "Delete Marker".
You can get rid of the marked location instantly with just a few clicks. After that, you are free to add new pins wherever you want.
It is also possible to pin your current location. Here's how:
- Launch Apple Maps.
- On the app's home screen, long press the Maps icon.
- Choose “Mark my location”.
- You will find a red pin showing your current location.
This technique saves time because you don't have to swipe the map or type in addresses.
Apple Maps: How to drop or remove a pin on a Mac
Once you get the Apple Maps app for your Mac, you can search for directions just like you would on a mobile device. Pinning a location is also possible, although the steps differ slightly. Nonetheless, it's the same app, even if your platform of choice is different.
Just like on iPhone, only one pin can be active at any given time. You will need to remove a pin to place another.
- Open Apple Maps on your Mac.
- Control-click a location.
- Select "Drop Pin" from the options.
- For more specifics, click on the pin and select "Edit location".
- Wait for the satellite view to appear and adjust the pin so that it is in the desired location.
Unlike the iPhone version, you don't have to select "Done" when you finally get the marker in the perfect spot. Once placed, your pin is there until you get rid of it.
If you type the address of a location and it appears on Apple Maps, you can also pin it. This method can replace the second step above. After that, everything else remains the same.
To remove a Pin for Apple Maps on Mac, try this method:
- Launch Apple Maps.
- Look for the pin you dropped.
- Click on it.
- Select "Remove pin".
- The pin will disappear instantly.
If your iPhone and Mac are signed in to the same Apple ID, pins and other information are shared between the devices.
Bypass a Pin Limit
Since Apple Maps will only allow you to have one active pin no matter what, users may not want to delete the current pin for fear of forgetting. However, an easy fix is to save pinned locations to a favorites list.
Once you add a location to your favorites list, it stays there until you remove it. Therefore, it is possible to 'pin' multiple locations and come back to them later.
To add a pin to your favorite places list on iPhone, follow these steps:
- Go to the Apple Maps app.
- Select the pin you dropped earlier.
- Swipe up.
- Select “Add to favourites”.
Depending on your version of iOS, you will first need to name the location or in the Favorite Locations menu. iOS 11 and 12 will use the first option, while iOS 13 won't let you change the name until later.
Here's how to access the Favorite Locations menu on iPhone:
- Go to Apple Maps.
- In the search bar at the bottom, swipe up.
- Next to "Favorites", choose "See all".
- Find the location you want to show on Apple Maps.
- Once on the map, select the information icon to edit if necessary.
If you're on a Mac, the steps will be slightly different.
- Launch Apple Maps.
- Find your current PIN.
- Click on it.
- Select the "Favorites" button.
- The location will now be in your favorites list.
Of course, once you've saved enough locations to the list, you might want to revisit them. Here's how to access the list:
- Start Apple Maps on your Mac.
- Click on the magnifying glass in the search bar.
- The "Favorites" option will appear, marked with a heart icon.
- Click on this option.
There you can see all your recently saved locations. Once you click on it, you can see all the information and even start getting directions.
Can you have multiple Pins on Apple Maps?
Unfortunately, Apple Maps can only handle one pinned location at a time. However, you can add pinned sites to the favorites list. Once you do, you can access the front list to get directions to said location.
We will be back next time
With Apple Maps, you can keep your favorite locations in a list and return to them later. The pinning function may be limited, but the Favorites function still allows you to save places. Saving locations has never been more accessible in Apple Maps.
Do you think Apple Maps should allow multiple pins? What other features do you think the app should have? Let us know in the comments section below.