YouTube makes it easy to download videos. Just log in to YouTube, select a video from your library and press the "Download" button. But one of the keys to a successful YouTube video is good editing. So how exactly do you edit a video to make it look more professional and get views?
If you're wondering what makes a good video edit, you've come to the right page. This article introduces how to edit YouTube videos on multiple devices. We'll provide basic instructions and suggest third-party apps for professional video editing for iPhone, Android, Windows, Mac, and Chromebook users.
How to Edit YouTube Video on iPhone
iPhone users can do a lot more with their videos than just uploading them to YouTube. The YouTube app for iOS devices allows them to trim videos and add filters for more enhanced aesthetics.
Here's how to use the basic features of the YouTube app on an iPhone.
Add Filters to YouTube Videos on iPhone
Do you want to adjust the colors of your video or add a specific filter? Then follow the steps below.
- Launch the YouTube app and select the "Camera" icon at the top.
- Upload a video from your gallery and select the "Filter" icon at the bottom.
- You will see a list of available filters. Tap the one you want to preview.
- Press "Next" after selecting a filter.
- Add a video title and set location and privacy settings.
- Press "Download".
Edit Posted YouTube Video on iPhone
Have you ever uploaded a video to YouTube and realized you need to fix the title or description? You can do this by logging into YouTube using a browser (not the app!).
- Select your profile picture at the top right of the screen.
- Go to “Your channel”, then “Your videos”.
- Select the three-dot menu next to the video you want to edit.
- Select "Edit" and make the necessary changes.
- Finally, press “Save”.
Add Music to YouTube Video
Does your video need background music? If so, you can add it through the iMovie app. Use the link provided to download the app if you haven't already. Once the application is launched, follow the steps below:
- Select “Create a project”, then “Movie”.
- Select a video from the library.
- Tap the plus sign and select the song you want to use.
- Continue uploading the video to YouTube.
Note that due to copyright policy, you may only use music for which you have the rights or permission to use. You can choose from iMovie and YouTube's royalty-free music program, or familiarize yourself with music licensing.
Third-Party Video Editing Apps for iPhone
If you are looking for advanced video editing options, you may consider downloading a third-party app. Here's our pick of the best for iPhone users.
This app lets you select a video from your library and choose a theme, design, and music for it. You can add overlays, filters, transitions, and visuals. It also comes with basic functions like trimming, splitting, rotating and cropping video. The app is free to download but offers in-app purchases.
KineMaster is one of the best video editing apps for smartphones currently in the market. It allows you to create awesome YouTube videos by adding layers, stickers, rich filters, audio effects and much more. It even supports 4K video editing. You can use the free version, but your videos will contain the KineMaster watermark. You will need to subscribe to remove the watermark.
How to Edit YouTube Video on Android
YouTube makes it effortless to upload a video from your Android gallery to YouTube. But how to edit one? We will explain this below.
Edit YouTube Videos Using YouTube App on Android
- Log in to your YouTube account and tap the little icon showing your profile.
- Scroll through your videos and tap the three vertical dots next to the video you want to edit.
- Edit the video as you wish. Edit the description, title or add effects.
- Save your changes by tapping the forward arrow icon.
- Wait for the changes to take effect.
Use third-party apps
To add enhanced features to your YouTube videos, you can use third-party apps. Here's our pick of the three best YouTube video editing apps for Android.
Vlogit is a professional video editing app that lets you rotate, crop, add video effects, animated texts, filters and overlays to YouTube videos. The user-friendly interface makes it easy to navigate the application and make necessary changes. It's a free app to download, and you can do it here.
Kinemaster Pro Video Editor is one of the best applications for editing YouTube videos. You can add layers such as picture-in-picture effects, adjust color and brightness, crop or adjust video speed. The app also allows you to upload a video directly to YouTube after editing is complete.
Adobe Premiere Rush
If you like creating automatic clips with soundtracks and images or dragging and dropping clips, you can do it with Adobe Premiere Rush. This app also lets you adjust video and audio speed, combine clips, add soundtracks, crop, add color filters and much more.
How to Edit YouTube Video on Windows PC
If you're using a Windows PC, chances are you already have Windows Movie Maker installed on your device. It is probably the best application to use for editing YouTube videos. Here's how to use it:
- Import the video into Windows Movie Maker by clicking "Add Videos or Photos".
- Use the preview area to preview the video. Delete or cut out the parts you don't need by locating the seed frame you want to delete in the storyboard and clicking "Split". Do the same for the end frame and click on “Split” again.
- Right-click the split video clip you want to delete and click "Delete".
- Add transitions from the "Animations" section at the top of the screen.
- Add visual effects, filters, and overlays in the "Visual Effects" section.
- Mute the clip by double-clicking the video clip and entering the "Edit" panel. Once you're there, select the "Video Volume" button and mute the sound.
Feel free to explore other options that let you add a title, import new audio files, record narration, and more.
If you like professional video editing for YouTube, you can consider DaVinci Resolve 17 or Adobe Premiere Pro. These apps come with robust features that let you edit transcripts, generate captions, color label, create professional movies, merges, and more.
How to Edit YouTube Video on Mac
Looking for easy tools to edit YouTube video on Mac? If so, iMovie may be your go-to solution. If you are a Mac user, you probably already have the app installed on your device. Here is an overview of its use:
- Select the video on your Mac and add it to iMovie.
- Once you add a video to iMovie, it will create an event in the app.
- Enhance video by adding text, credits, transitions and other tools.
- Export the video to YouTube by clicking the "Share" button.
Third-Party Video Editing Apps for Mac
If you are looking for a better way to edit YouTube videos on Mac, you can use third-party apps. Filmora is a great choice for beginners. It offers 300+ video effects for different video themes and allows you to add credits, layers, overlays and other effects.
Adobe Premier Pro is also a great option if you already have some YouTube video editing experience. They also have a Premier Rush version for beginners which will make it easier to understand the basics.
Finally, Final Cut Pro is the best application for complex YouTube video editing jobs. It comes at a price, however, but if you're into serious editing, you might want to consider this software.
How to Edit a YouTube Video on a Chromebook
You can use high-quality video editing software to edit your YouTube videos on Chromebook. Here is a brief overview of the best ones along with their functions.
The best application for Linux OS is kdenlive. This open source video editor allows you to manage multiple videos at once, edit any video format, add layers, titles, rotate video, add frames, templates, etc. There are many effects and transitions so you can experiment until you find the effect you want.
WeVideo is an easy-to-use video editing platform that's packed with editing tools and requires no downloads. Add sound effects, emojis or animated text to video with just one click and play with themes and transitions to add a professional touch to your videos. Learn more about WeVideo by visiting the official website.
Editing YouTube videos made easy
Editing a YouTube video can be a difficult task. If you are an iPhone or Android user, you can use the app for basic functions. However, adding layers, playing with colors and transitions, cropping the video, and other advanced techniques require the help of a third-party application. In this article, we have provided you with enough resources to edit YouTube videos on all devices.
Which video editing app from this article did you find the best? What kind of video editing tools do you need for your videos? Share your experiences in the comments below.