Many teams and freelancers depend on Notion for collaboration, productivity, and task management. It is one of the best all-in-one workspace apps with lots of feature customization options.
One of the most useful aspects of Notion is that it allows users to embed various files and links, including spreadsheets. If your day-to-day tasks require reviewing Google Sheet documents, integrating them into Notion is extremely handy. You can do this on your computer as well as on the Notion mobile app.
However, there are some limitations to embedding a Google sheet in Notion. In this article, we will suggest an effective workaround for you to consider.
How to Embed Google Sheet in Notion from PC
For most users, you'll get the most out of Notion if you use the web version of this productivity app. The interface is user friendly and there are plenty of instructional videos to check out if you are a Notion newbie.
If your main goal is to embed a Google Sheet document, the first step is to make sure your Google Drive account is connected to Notion. Otherwise, having a spreadsheet available on the Notion workspace will not be possible.
The process of linking Google Drive and Notion is quite simple, and all you have to do is follow these steps:
- Log in to your Notion account.
- In the left menu, select "Settings and members".
- Now click on "My Connected Apps" and connect to Google Drive.
- Click outside the window and the changes will apply immediately.
You can connect to multiple Google Drive accounts if you wish. You also have the option to link to Evernote, Asana, and Trello if you use those apps.
Once you have connected Google Drive to Notion, the second and final step can be done in two different ways. We will explain both.
Method 1 – Use Designated Function
Having quick and easy access to the documents you use most often promotes efficiency. Therefore, Notion has made it easy to embed a Google sheet or any other Google Docs file. This is how it works:
- Log in to your Notion account and navigate to a page where you want to embed a Google Sheet file. Or start a new page by clicking "+ Add page" in the main menu.
- Type the forward slash "/" to see a drop-down menu of commands available in Notion.
- Scroll down to the "Integrate" section.
- Choose “Google Drive”. This is the second selection.
- You will have the option to choose between embedding a link to the Google Sheet document and downloading the file. If you select "Browse Google Drive", click on your Google Drive account.
- Choose the Google Sheet document and click "Select".
The file will immediately integrate into the Notion page. You will have a complete view of the document. But if you want to edit or see details that might not be visible, you will have to click on the embedded file.
It will open another tab in your browser and give you access to the Google Sheet document. Essentially, the Google Sheet integration is only for quick viewing, not editing.
Also, if you make changes to the Google Sheet document, they won't appear in the embedded file. You'll need to re-enter it to see the changes in Notion.
Method 2 – The workaround
While it's great that Notion provides quick and easy Google Sheets integration, it's fair to say that the functionality is still somewhat lacking.
If you need to work on the spreadsheet every day, you won't have immediate access to changes and other document features.
The good news is that there are things you can do if you want to use an embedded spreadsheet this way. It requires a few more steps than the first method, but the result is satisfactory. Here's what you need to do:
- Log in to your Notion account and press the “/” symbol on your keyboard.
- Scroll down to the "Embed" section in the drop-down menu.
- Select the first option named “Integrate”.
- A small window will appear on your Notion page. You can choose the "Embed link" or "Download" tab.
- If Google Drive is installed on your computer, you can download the Google Sheet file. If you want to use the link, copy the link from Google Sheets and paste it. Then click on the “Integrate link” button.
The Google sheet will appear on the Notion page. It may seem a bit oddly integrated at first. You'll notice your Google Account profile picture and the entire Google Sheets navigation bar, but not much else.
This is where you should use your cursor to expand the spreadsheet. You can move it in any direction on the Notion page to make sure it fits the way you want.
Also, you can directly edit and customize the spreadsheet and see the changes applied automatically in Google Drive. It's a better way to embed any Google Doc if your main goal is to edit it frequently.
How to Embed Google Sheet in Notion from iPhone
Some people prefer to use Notion on their smartphones. The mobile app makes it easy to stay on top of things if you're on the go.
If you are an iPhone user, make sure you always have the latest version of the app concept for maximum efficiency.
To embed Google Sheet document, you also need to have Google Sheets app on your iPhone too. Once that's done, here's how to embed a Google Sheet document in Notion on iOS devices:
- Open the Google Sheets app and open the spreadsheet you want to embed.
- Tap the menu button in the upper right corner.
- Select "Share and Export".
- Press "Copy link".
When you've copied the link to the Google Sheet document, follow these steps:
- Launch Notion on your iPhone.
- Add a new page by tapping the menu button in the top left corner. Or open an existing page from your workspace.
- Tap anywhere on the page and from the drop-down menu, select the "+" symbol. This will open another menu and you need to scroll down to the "Integrate" section.
- Select "Google Drive" from the list.
- Paste the Google Sheet document link and press "Embed Google Drive file".
You will immediately see the embedded Google Sheets on the Notion page. Keep in mind that this is the only way to embed Google Sheet files in Notion.
The workaround available on the PC does not work in the mobile app. To edit the Google Sheet document, you need to tap on the embedded file and edit it in the Google Sheet mobile app.
Changes you make in the Google Sheets app will not be reflected in the embedded document in Notion. You'll need to check it back in to make sure all changes are included.
How to Embed Google Sheet in Notion from Android Phone
Android users also have the option to embed spreadsheets in the Notion app. To get the latest version of Notion mobile app on Android, go to Google Play store and download it on your device.
Also make sure you have the Google Spreadsheets app installed on your smartphone. If you need a specific Google Sheet document in Notion for a quick view, here are the steps.
- Launch the Google Sheets app and open the document you want to add to Notion.
- Access the main menu in the upper right corner of the screen.
- From the drop-down list, select "Share and Export".
- Press "Copy link".
This is the first part of the process. To continue, here's what to do next:
- Open the Notion app and the page where you want to embed the Google Sheets file.
- Tap anywhere on the screen and when a menu appears, select the “+” symbol.
- Find the “Integrate” section and tap on “Google Drive”.
- Paste the Google Sheets link and press "Embed Google Drive File".
That's all there is to it. You will instantly see the embedded spreadsheet on the Notion page. Again, to edit the document, you'll need to tap the embedded link and make changes in the Google Sheets mobile app.
Also remember that you must first connect Google Drive to your Notion account, which is only possible through the web version of Notion.
Master the concept and Google Sheets
Your Notion workspace may be all you need. You can create databases, add audio and video files, and embed Tweets, PDFs, and Google Docs. When you need quick access to a specific spreadsheet, just click the Google Drive integration option in the list of commands on any Notion page.
This process is available on PC and mobile apps. However, to make changes to the file, you'll need to go to Google Sheets - you can't do this in Notion - and check the file back in.
PC users, however, have a workaround to try if they want to be able to make changes in Notion. Overall, integrating your Google Sheets files into Notion works pretty well and requires minimal effort.
Why is Google Sheets in Notion useful to you? Let us know in the comments section below.