Dark Mode is a cool feature supported by most modern devices. By reducing eye strain, you can spend more time working or enjoying online content. That said, a considerable number of apps don't yet support dark mode across the board.
One of these apps is TikTok. While it still doesn't fully support dark mode on every system, it's slowly getting there. If you're wondering how to make this dark mode work on TikTok, the next sections will provide all the information you need.
How to Enable TikTok Dark Mode on Android
As of this writing, October 2022, TikTok has yet to release the in-app dark mode for Android devices. Even if you scour the Internet for it, you will not get any information about the existence of such a feature.
However, there are indications that a number of beta testers have gotten dark mode on their Androids. While that might be true, if you install the app from Google Play, you won't find any dark mode options. Not at all.
Since TikTok recently released dark mode support for the latest version of iOS, we hope Android gets its own soon. Obviously, patience is the name of the game here.
How to Enable TikTok Dark Mode on an iPhone
Unlike Android, TikTok has added dark mode support for iPhone and iPad devices. You can either use the in-app switch to turn dark mode on or off, or do so using your iPhone's system settings. To know how to do all this, follow the steps below.
Notes: Before proceeding, make sure you have updated your iOS to version 13. Then check if you have the latest update for TikTok as well. You can find it on the App Store.
- Open the TikTok app on your iPhone.
- Then tap Me. It's the tab at the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap the More button in the upper right corner. It's the one that looks like three horizontal dots.
- In the Content & Activity section, tap Dark mode.
- You will now see the options to use light or dark mode. Faucet Dark.
As soon as you tap Dark, the app's interface immediately switches to dark mode, and that's it.
If you want TikTok to follow system settings for dark and light mode, tap Use device settings instead of tapping Dark Mode in Step 5. It's the one just below the Light and Dark options. Once you enable it, TikTok's interface will alternate between the two modes depending on how your phone looks.
Now that you've configured the TikTok app to follow your system settings, it's time to enable dark mode on your phone.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap Display & Brightness.
- In the Appearance section at the top of the screen, you will notice Light and Dark options. Tap Dark to turn it on.
Once done, your entire phone appearance will switch to dark mode. If this process seems tedious, there is also a more convenient way to switch between modes:
- Swipe down from the top right corner of the screen to open the Control Center menu.
- Press and hold the brightness control to open its dedicated menu. Here you will see the appearance mode button in the lower left corner. Press it. If you are currently in light mode, it will switch to dark mode and vice versa.
Even handier than that is adding the dark mode switch to the control center. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open Settings.
- Scroll down to the Control Center option and tap on it.
- Tap Customize controls.
- In the More commands section, tap dark mode. Tap and hold the three-line icon on the right to arrange the position of the dark mode switch in the control center.
The next time you open Control Center, you'll see the Dark Mode switch inside. Simply press it to switch between modes.
To make full use of the Use Device Settings option in TikTok, make sure to enable automatic switching between light and dark themes on your iPhone. To do this, instead of tapping Dark in the Appearance section of iPhone, tap Automatic Now. It's just below the Light and Dark options.
The Automatic function offers two options:
- Sunset to Sunrise will automatically switch between light and dark modes based on your current location and relevant time zone.
- You can also choose custom times to activate each of the two modes by tapping Custom Schedule. With this option, you will have to separately enter the times at which you wish to activate each of the modes. For example, you can set the light mode to trigger at 6:00 a.m. and the dark mode at 22:00 p.m.
How to Enable TikTok Dark Mode on Windows PC, Mac, or Chromebook
Currently, only the TikTok iOS app has a built-in dark mode. Unfortunately, the situation with desktop and laptop computers is more similar to the Android scenario. As there is no dedicated TikTok app for computers, there is no way to control its appearance like on iOS. Where does it exist?
Luckily, there's a third-party app that can help. Accessing TikTok from a computer is like opening it in a browser. And that's where the Turn Off the Lights expansion comes in, which solves the dark mode problem for you.
What's great about this extension is that it works with most internet browsers that you can find on modern computers. You can use it with Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Opera, Brave, etc.
To install the Turn Off the Lights extension, follow these steps:
- Open the "Turn off the Lights" Download Center in your favorite browser.
- Scroll down the page to get the download links for each browser supported by this extension.
- Click on the one that suits your browser.
- Depending on the browser you are using, the link will either direct you to the dedicated download page or initiate the download of the installation file. And depending on your browser's security settings, you may need to manually approve the file download.
Once the extension is installed, it will appear in your browser's extensions menu. The icon looks like a small gray light bulb. But before you can use it, you'll need to set it up.
- Right-click the Turn off lights extension icon in your browser.
- Click on Options.
- The extension's options page will now open in a new tab in your browser.
- Click Night Mode in the left menu.
- In the Night Mode section, check the box next to the Show night switch button… option.
Now, whenever you open a page in your browser, you'll see the Night Mode switch appear in the lower left corner of the page. Simply click it to switch between Night and Day mode. Of course, it also works with TikTok.
Apart from the switching function, there are also many other options that you can use in the Night Mode menu.
- The Background Color, Text Color, and Hyperlink Color options allow you to further customize the appearance of the website when activating night mode.
- You can also use the extension's lamp icon as a shortcut to activate dark mode.
- If you find the switch annoying, you can make it disappear after a number of seconds that you set.
- If you don't want to use dark mode with specific websites, you can add them to a blacklist. Conversely, you can use the whitelist option to set only certain websites that should use dark mode.
- Also, there is an option to set the time period you want to see the switch. For example, you probably don't need the night mode switch during the day. Of course, it would be convenient if he appeared in the evening.
- You can make the night mode switch transparent, reducing its impact on the content you're reading or watching.
- You might not like having the switch button at all. If so, you can activate a shortcut that activates night mode after a long press of the mouse button on the page.
- Finally, you can play around with the position of the Night Mode switch. There are four options to choose from: top left, top right, bottom right, and bottom left. If none of these suit you, you can also choose a custom position for the switch.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is some additional information about TikTok and dark mode.
When is dark mode coming to Android?
Unfortunately, we don't have an answer to that yet. As we've seen with other popular apps, Dark Mode functionality can sometimes take years to become part of the app's interface. The best thing to do is to periodically check your TikTok app settings to see if the feature is there.
Of course, always keep your app up to date. When the feature finally rolls out to Android users, it will come with a new update. An outdated application will not have the new features.
Does dark mode change the look of my videos?
No. Changing your dark mode settings will not affect the look of your TikTok videos or For You page. Dark mode only affects the appearance of your profile and settings.
Go dark with TikTok
Hope this article helped you learn how to enable dark mode on TikTok. Except for Android devices, there is a solution for every other system you might be using. With this mode, you can safely enjoy all the interesting content without worrying about straining your eyes in the dark.
Have you managed to activate dark mode on TikTok? Do you watch more TikTok during the day or at night? Please share your experiences in the comments section below.