Unlike similar graphics editing apps, Figma recognized the desire of users to export their designs in PDF format and be able to share them with other team members, artists or clients. In 2022, Figma introduced its own PDF export which allows quick and easy conversion of designs to PDF.
If you want to know how to export to PDF in Figma, you've come to the right place. This article will discuss the various ways to do so in the desktop and mobile app.
How to Export to PDF in Figma on PC
You can use several methods to export to PDF in Figma, depending on the effect you want to achieve.
The first is to do it via the Properties tab:
- Choose the layers you want to export. If you want to export them all, be sure to deselect them.
- Go to the Properties panel.
- Choose "PDF" under "Export".
- Export the file under a preferred name.
Doing this will create a separate PDF file for each layer you exported.
If you want to export all frames into a single PDF file, you can do so through the File menu. In this case, each frame will be a separate page in the PDF, in the same order as in Figma. Follow the steps below to use this method:
- When you're done with your design, tap the Figma logo in the upper left corner to open the File menu.
- Press "Export frames to PDF".
When you want to move images around or customize the quality before exporting, we recommend installing an extension called TinyImage Compression:
- Open Figma and go to the Browse tab.
- Tap on “Community”.
- Type “TinyImage Compressor” in the search bar and select “Plugins”.
- Tap "Install".
- Once you've installed it, select the frames you want to export and make sure "PDF" is selected in the Properties tab on the right.
- Press "Plugins" and select "TinyImage Compressor" or right-click anywhere on the canvas and press "Plugins".
- Customize the file quality, thereby changing the file size and press "Create PDF".
- Customize the position of the frames by dragging and dropping. You can also assign a password to the PDF file.
- Tap "Export Frames to Merged PDF".
Your PDF file will be exported to the preferred destination. The extension is not free, but you get 15 free trials. After that, you can decide if the extension is worth it.
If you only want to export a few elements of your canvas to PDF, or if your canvas is cluttered, you can use another method.
The process is easier for Mac users because they have Preview tools, which allows them to work with PDFs without installing other programs:
- Select the layers you want to export.
- On the Properties tab, make sure "PDF" is selected under "Export."
- Tap "Export [number] layers." »
Can I export to PDF in Figma on an iPhone?
Figma has a mobile version called "Figma Mirror". This app lets you see your designs on a real device and track changes. Just log in with the same username and password to access the designs you have open on your desktop.
While it's a great way to track your progress, Figma Mirror doesn't let you change the design through your phone. This means that there is no way to export the design to PDF using your iPhone. If you want to export the file as a PDF, you'll need to do so through the desktop app and then send it to your phone.
Can I export to PDF in Figma on an Android device?
Again, it's not possible to export to PDF directly from your phone. "Figma Mirror" is the mobile version of Figma. The app lets you view the designs on your phone while working on them in the desktop app. Whenever you make changes to your designs, you can see the changes happening on your Android device.
Exporting to PDF in Figma is no conundrum
If you want to print your Figma designs or share them with others, learning how to export them to PDF is essential. At the moment, it is only possible to do this on a PC, and you can choose a method depending on what you want to achieve.
How do I export to PDF in Figma? Are you using any of the methods mentioned above? Tell us in the comments section below.