Fun and innovative, Snapchat cameos are like meme versions of movie cameos. But sometimes they don't show up. If this happens to you, don't worry. We have what you need.
In this article, we'll show you how to update and reinstall the app, and help you fix any other cameo-related issues you may encounter.
Before you start blaming your device, make sure the problem is not app-related. The first thing to do if cameos are not showing up is to update your Snapchat app. Here are the direct download links for the App Store (iPhone and iPad) and the Google Play Store (Android phones and tablets).
Follow the links to download and install the update on your device.
Additionally, you can try clearing Snapchat's cache (data saved on your phone or tablet.) Here's how:
- Launch Snapchat on your device.
- Tap your profile icon, then select settings on the My Profile screen.
- Find and select the Clear cache option.
- Choose from Continue on Android devices, or Erase everything or iPhone and iPad.
For Android devices
If the update doesn't help, you can try uninstalling Snapchat from your Android device:
- Find Snapchat in the app menu and long press it.
- Then choose Uninstall and confirm.
- Use the Play Store link from the previous section to reinstall the latest version of Snapchat.
Do Snapchat cameos appear sometimes, but not other times? In this scenario, you need to restart Snapchat. Force stop it if it does not close normally:
- Long press the Snapchat icon.
- Select App Info.
- Then choose Force stop and confirm.
For iOS devices
You can also force quit Snapchat on iOS. Here are the instructions for the latest iOS devices:
- With Snapchat running on your device, return to your home screen.
- Swipe up (from the bottom) to the middle part of your screen.
- Find Snapchat in the app preview running. Swipe on it and it should force stop.
If you're using a slightly older iOS device, follow these steps instead:
- With Snapchat in the background, open your home screen menu.
- Double tap the Home button and see the preview of running apps.
- Find Snapchat and swipe up to close it.
You can also try reinstalling Snapchat on iOS. Follow the steps to do so:
- Start the Settings app.
- Choose the General tab.
- Next, select iPhone (or iPad) Storage.
- Next, locate Snapchat and tap Delete app next to it.
- Confirm that you want to remove the app.
Then you need to re-download the latest version of Snapchat using the appropriate link provided above.
If you have tried all these solutions and none of them worked, the problem may lie with your device. The first and easiest trick for any kind of app malfunction is to restart your device. You can use the restart or power off option.
The power off method counts as a soft reset – if you turn it back on after one minute. The hard reset option would be a factory reset of your device. Only use this as a last resort, as you will lose all your data. Do not reset your device before creating a backup or transferring important files to a computer or cloud storage service (such as Google Drive).
Here's how to reset an iOS device:
- Open the Settings app.
- Select the General tab.
- Then choose Reset.
- Next, tap on Reset All Settings.
- Enter your password if required.
- Confirm to reset everything to factory settings.
On Android devices, factory reset is different:
- Launch the Settings app.
- Open the Additional Settings or System menu.
- Next, select the Backup and reset option.
- Finally, select Erase all data (factory reset). Scroll down and tap Erase All Data (or Reset Tablet).
- Enter your PIN and confirm that you want everything reset to default settings.
Making Snapchat Cameos Again
We hope you can use this feature again after following our advice. If you still can't get the cameos to appear in Snapchat, contact the official support team.
Do you have a favorite cameo? Have you tried sharing the limelight in a cameo with your friends? Share your answers and related questions in the comments section below.