Capes are commonly used as a symbol of superiority in comics, movies, and multiplication. This garment is admired by superheroes and magicians (although villains, Dracula, and other nasty creatures can also wear it). Minecraft allows players to wear different capes. Whether your goal is to cosplay Zorro or get a rare item, we're here to show you how to do it.
How to get a cape in Minecraft
Minecraft players can get capes both for money and for free. In this section, we will share three different methods to acquire one.
Migrate your account
Recently, the developers of Minecraft released a notice for Java Edition players. All Mojang accounts should be migrated to Microsoft accounts. This requirement is related to security reasons and is mandatory, although the exact date of the end of the migration period is still unknown. If a player fails to move the account, they will no longer be able to play the Java Edition. Luckily, this process does not change the game. Additionally, each player receives a free cape for their efforts. Here's how to move your Mojang account to Microsoft:
- Run Minecraft Launcher or sign in to Minecraft.net with your Mojang account.
- You should see an invitation to migrate. Click on it.
- Create a new Microsoft account or sign in with an existing account.
- Create an Xbox.com account. You don't need to own an Xbox to do this.
- Confirm the migration of your Mojang account.
- When you restart the game, a new cape should appear in your inventory.
Buy Minecraft Skins
The account migration requirement is only for Minecraft Java Edition. So you can't get free cape if you play Minecraft Bedrock Edition. However, you can buy or download a free skin with a cape. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Visit Minecraft Market or any other site you prefer and search for the skin you like. Download it to your device.
- Log in to Minecraft.net and click on "Preferences", located in the upper left corner of your screen.
- You should now see your current Minecraft skin. Click on "Choose file", located to the right of it.
- Select your .png skin file and upload it.
- The name of your new skin should appear to the right of the "Choose File" button. Click the "Download" button next to it.
- The website will refresh and your character will appear wearing the new skin. When you launch the game, the character will be wearing a cape (or any other skin you downloaded.)
Although players can get a free cape in Minecraft Java Edition, this version of the game is quite limited when it comes to skin selection. You can get different capes using mods, but other players will only see them if they have the same mod. If you want to get a cape for personal reasons rather than showing off, it's worth it. Here are some of the best mods that let you wear a cape in Minecraft Java:
- Advanced cloak mod. Minecraft Forge is required for installation. To set a cape, press the "C" key and enter the URL of the desired cape. Any URL will work as long as it ends in “.png”. You can also add custom capes.
- Mod Optifin. The main focus of this mod is game optimization and FPS boost. Players can also add a cape to their skin. Other players won't see it, but this option is great for streaming.
Java vs. Bedrock Editions
Minecraft Java and Bedrock editions differ significantly. When it comes to capes, each has its pros and cons. While more cape skins are available online for the Bedrock Edition, Java allows for more cape customization options. More mods are available for Java, and they are generally easier to install. Additionally, as mentioned in previous sections, Java Edition players can now receive a free cape for migrating their Mojang account to a Microsoft account. The physics are also different. Surprisingly, an older Java edition released in 2011 offers more realistic cloak physics. The cloak can move freely in all directions, while in Bedrock it can only move up and down. In other words, if a cape is really important to you, Minecraft Java Edition is a better option.
Can I craft a cape in Minecraft?
Yes. Many online sites allow players to create a custom cape and download it for free. One such site is Minecraftcapes.net. With the cape editor tool, you can create a cape with any design in minutes. Follow the instructions below:
1. Click on the large red rectangle to choose a color.
2. Left-click anywhere on the cape model to color that area. You can also hold the left click while moving your mouse to color the desired area faster.
3. Right-click to clear the required area.
4. Mix colors and draw patterns as you like. When done, click "Download".
5. Upload your custom cape to Minecraft.net to apply the skin.
Some mods, like Optifine for Minecraft Java Edition, also have a cape editor.
Is there a method I can use to get a free cape?
Although you can buy a pre-made cape skin, all the methods of obtaining a cape in Minecraft described in the previous sections are free. Java Edition players can get a free cape to migrate their Mojang account. Java and Bedrock Edition players can create custom cape designs and download them for free from Minecraft.net. Most mods also don't require players to pay anything to use them. In other words, a cloak in Minecraft isn't some sort of lavish piece available only to nobles.
Dress to impress
As you can see, getting a cape in Minecraft is quite simple. The best thing is that just like with construction, you can use your imagination to the fullest when creating your outfit. Get a free cape to migrate your Mojang account, or create a unique design yourself and shine. Hopefully future game updates will improve the cape graphics in Bedrock Edition for an even better user experience.
What's your favorite Minecraft skin market? Share your experiences in the comments section below.