Although the world of Final Fantasy 14 is captivating, exploring it on foot can take too long. Fast travel is available through Aetherytes, but you'll need to visit Aetheryte areas in person first. The fastest way to do this is to ride a Chocobo. But how exactly do you get one?
In this entry, we are going to show you how to unlock the Chocobo mount in FFXIV. We will describe the requirements and the quests that lead to it.
How to Get the Chocobo in FFXIV
As stated earlier, the Chocobo does not appear automatically once you start the game. Instead, Final Fantasy 14 requires you to complete a few quests and complete certain activities to unlock the mount. Complete the following conditions and quests to fulfill the necessary requirements:
- Rise to level 20 with your character.
- Complete the "Lord of the Inferno" mission to unlock Minfilia Warde's "Hero in the Making". These quests should be marked with jagged outlines and not standard circles.
- Join a great company. Your options include 'The Immortal Flames', 'Order of the Twin Viper' and 'Maelstrom'. These businesses aren't created by players - they're run by NPCs who offer you extras and rewards in exchange for Seals. Additionally, you may need to complete the "The Company You Guard" questline before joining your Great Company.
- Once you've selected your large company, talk to its commander to cast "My Little Chocobo".
- Collect 200 Seals by participating in Duty Roulette, FATEs, Company Quests, and trading crafted items in Delivery Missions.
Once you've completed the 200 Seal collection, it's time to get your Chocobo. Check out the steps below to complete the process:
- After amassing 200 seals, return to your Great Company and find the Quartermaster.
- Tap on the “Hardware” section on the right side of your screen.
- Choose the "Chocobo Show" option.
- Head to your Chocobo Stablemaster.
- Redeem the show for a chocobo.
- Open the "Actions/Traits" section and equip yourself with the Chocobo Whistle.
- Place the item in the action bar for quick access.
- Click on the "Whistle" and your Chocobo should appear at your location.
How to Get Chocobo Armor in FFXIV
Chocobo armor is on your market list. However, it has a different name – Chocobo Barding. You can acquire a considerable number of types of bards. Here are some of the most popular:
- Abigail Barding – available through Trimmed Sacks in the Palace of the Dead
- Angelic Barding – purchased from Mog Station
- Barding of Light and Barding of Dark Mage – obtainable from NPC Jonathas, Old Gridania and three Certificates of Achievement
- Behemoth Barding – unlocked by purchasing FFXIV “A Real Reborn” Collector's Edition
- Blissful Barding – crafted by Heaven-on-High or Goldsmith
- Barde de Bozian – available chez Zadnor Lockbox
How to Make Chocobo Fight in FFXIV
One of the biggest benefits of using your Chocobo is that it can fight alongside you. Follow these steps to access this ability:
- Reach level 30 after unlocking your Chocobo through a Great Company.
- Head to Camp Tranquil in the southern part of South Shroud.
- Once there, you will find an NPC who should give you a normal quest (not part of the main questline). The mission will require you to visit another area and help an NPC in their stable.
- Go to the area where you will complete the mission.
- Gather Gysahl Beans and bring them to the NPC to complete the first part.
- Once the quest is completed, you will unlock the ability to summon the Chocobo for battle.
Keep in mind that you can only summon your Chocobo with Gysahl Beans. Apart from Camp Tranquil, you can also buy them in all major cities. Once your Chocobo spawns for combat, it cannot be ridden unless you dismiss it first.
Can you get the Chocobo after level 10 in FFXIV?
The Chocobo reaches its maximum level when it reaches level 10. To exceed the maximum level, you will need to unlock the skill for the Chocobo to gain experience for its current rank. The item you will need for this task is the Thavnairian Onion.
To determine if your Chocobo has maxed out its experience, go to the "Companion Details" window. The courier has reached its maximum rank if the colors change in the "Exp Value" and "Rank" windows.
Once you've established the Chocobo's level, you can now increase its rank:
- Reopen your "Companion Details" and "Chocobo Stable" windows.
- Choose "Thavnairian Onion" as the steed's reward. Do not press the "Power" option.
- The color of the sections should be normal again, allowing your Chocobo to continue gaining experience points.
Each level reached with this method requires a Thavnairian Onion. The maximum rank your Chocobo can reach is 20.
If your companion reaches the highest level while in the Personal Housing Chocobo Free Company or Stable, you'll need to take a different approach:
- Take the Chocobo out of the stable.
- Summon him again using your Gysahl Beans.
- Kill a unit to gain an experience point and to improve your mount correctly.
- Once the Chocobo ranks up through this experience, feed it your onion. This way you will allow your companion to unlock more experience for their new levels.
Don't Neglect Your Chocobo
Leveling up your FFXIV Chocobo can be one of the most beneficial strategies in the game. As your steed gains experience, it becomes a formidable asset. It becomes a trusted companion with multiple attack modes to aid you whenever needed.
What is the level of your FFXIV Chocobo? How long did it take you to reach level 10? Who is your favorite Chocobo bard? Let us know in the comments section below.