FGO has several types of currencies that players use to upgrade their minions (playable characters). A rare resource they can get are rare prisms, given sparingly or using characters that players don't need in their current roster.
This article will provide you with all the information you need about Rare Prisms, how to get them, and how to use them.
What does the rare prism do in FGO?
Rare Prisms are a unique form of currency produced in rare circumstances due to a general lack of in-game resources that craft them. Rare prisms are used to unlock more cosmetic content, such as alternate heroic spirit portraits in the exchange shop for event-unique quests or crafting essences. Event-based purchases are limited to once per account.
Rare Prisms also have a more practical side:
- You can use a rare prism to get 20 friend points once a month. You can then use Friend Points to purchase various bonuses, summon lower-ranked heroes, or provide crafting essences, status cards, experience cards, and certain command codes.
- You can purchase Chaldean Visionary Flames for three rare Prisms. Visionary Flames increase a minion's max bond level by 1, up to a max of 15 (from the starting 10). This is one of the most recommended items as it is hard to find outside of certain events.
- Purchasing a Remover Code for a Rare Prism when you need to remove an Order Code from an Order Card that you want to reuse. You can purchase three Code Removers per month.
- You can purchase crystallized knowledge for five rare prisms each month. Crystallized Knowledge is the only way to upgrade a skill from level 9 to level 10.
- Every month you can buy Status Up cards with three rare prisms, one for HP and one for ATK. This is one of the only ways to get higher status cards in the game.
- Perhaps the best use of Rare Prisms is the unique unlock of Mana Prism Crafting Essence. Using Rare Prisms is the only way to get these items, and they stay permanently fixed in your account, providing small but stacking passive bonuses. All four choices should take priority, especially the QP generation provided by the 'Mona Lisa' craft essence.
How to get the rare prism through a quest?
Rare Prisms have been used as daily login rewards for a few events in the past, specifically the 17 million and 20 million download commemoration quests. They took place in late June 2022 and early May 2022 respectively. During the events, players could obtain a rare prism simply by logging into the game for a certain number of days.
Other quests include the 2022 New Year's Campaign (early January 2022), for which players also received a rare Prism for logging in on January 1st.
Unfortunately, events that award rare prisms are rare. This means that they should not be considered a stable or reliable source of rare prisms. Having a few Rare Event Prisms can be considered an achievement in itself for following the game for so long.
If you want the best chance of finding a rare prism during an event, keep logging into the game regularly to keep track of upcoming events. You never know which one will award rare prisms or other useful currencies or resources.
How to buy a rare prism in a store
There is no direct way to purchase rare prisms from the in-game store. What you can do, however, is burn a high rarity minion (four or five stars) to collect rare prisms, mana prisms and QPs. This is generally an unfavorable trade, especially considering how long it usually takes to summon a single 5-star minion and how powerful it is when leveled up (for which you need a total of five copies) .
Since you don't need more than five, getting the 6th copy of any 4-star or 5-star minion essentially gets the equivalent amounts of rare prisms. Here's how to burn the extra copies of Servants:
- Select "Da Vinci's Workshop", the fourth item in the navigation menu.
- Press "Burn". It has an icon that looks like a disintegrating card.
- Select the 4-star or 5-star non-event minion you want to engrave. Four-star minions received as event rewards do not provide rare prisms when burned.
- If the minion you want to engrave is locked, select the unlock button from the mini-menu on the left side.
- Four-star minions burn for one rare prism per NP level, up to five. Five-star minions will burn for three rare prisms per NP level, up to fifteen. However, good luck getting a five-star NP5 minion in the first place. It's a valuable resource that's far more valuable than anything you could buy with rare prisms.
How to use a rare prism
Rare prisms are also used in Da Vinci's workshop:
- Open "Da Vinci's Workshop" by tapping on the fourth item in the navigation menu.
- Select the “Rare Prism Exchange”. This should be the fourth item available, with an icon representing a sparkling gem (not to be confused with the "Mana Prism Exchange", for which there are no sparkles around the gem).
- Select the item you wish to purchase from the limited or refillable portions of the store.
- Confirm purchase choice.
Can you buy rare prisms with silver?
You cannot buy rare prisms directly with silver. However, you can purchase Saint Quartz with fiat currency, allowing you to cast additional summons. These summons can be four or five star minions, which you can then use to engrave rare prisms at Da Vinci's Workshop.
Keep in mind, however, that the rate at which you receive higher rank minions and the usefulness of these characters far outweighs the need to obtain a few rare prisms from a potentially massive monetary investment you could do.
We generally advise against relying on the luck-based gacha system to immediately provide you with the exact item you need. Keep playing and accumulate daily rewards from quests and missions to slowly get all the items and upgrades you need to progress. After all, the game doesn't have a PvP mode, so there's really no pressure to be the best in the world.
Rare prisms might be too rare
Considering the rarity of the Rare Prism, count yourself lucky if you manage to get some on a free account. Higher amounts are usually reserved for players spending considerable funds on this freemium game. Whether you plan to become a whale is up to you (and your bank statements).
Why will you use Rare Prisms? Let us know in the comment section below.