Google Maps is one of the most popular GPS navigation tools on the market today. You can easily find points of interest, restaurants and map routes suitable for your needs with just a few clicks. But what if you want to map a location that isn't already pinned? You will need to get the GPS coordinates of this location to stay on track.
If you need the exact coordinates of a specific location on a map, Google Maps is the most efficient and accurate way to get them. You can also use Google Maps to find a place based on its GPS coordinates.
GPS coordinates uniquely point to a location on a map, and you can use the coordinates to set a meeting place or make sure your directions are correct.
In this article, we will show you exactly how to get GPS coordinates in Google Maps.
How to Get GPS Coordinates in Google Maps on iPhone
Most users take advantage of Google Maps while on the go. Since users' phones are often connected to the Internet, it is easy to configure your GPS from your device. To get the GPS coordinates of a location on a map, follow these steps:
- Open the Google Maps app.
- Tap and hold on an unmarked spot on the map. You can use your finger to zoom in on the map and avoid other pins.
- A red pin will appear on the tapped point. Tap the red pin.
- Swipe up from the bottom of Google Maps to view the longitude and latitude of the location you selected.
- You can save these coordinates to your clipboard by tapping on them. Then you can send them to anyone by pasting them into a messaging app.
- You can also quickly share the location by swiping right from the menu at the top. Press on Share.
As you can see, it is very easy to get GPS coordinates from random location in Google Maps.
How to Get GPS Coordinates in Google Maps on Android Device
Android devices are renowned for their ease of use, and Google Maps is no different. If you're using an Android, follow these steps instead:
- Open Google Maps.
- Navigate to the place whose coordinates you want to find. You can scroll and zoom with your fingers.
- Tap and hold on an unpinned location on the map.
- A red pin will appear on the spot.
- You will see the decimal coordinates in the search bar.
- You can tap the search bar to copy these coordinates to your clipboard.
How to Get GPS Coordinates in Google Maps on PC
If you're using a PC, there's no dedicated desktop app for Google Maps. However, you can easily access it through any browser:
- Open your browser. Any browser will do.
- Type maps.google.com in the URL bar.
- Navigate to the place whose coordinates you want using your mouse. Use the mouse wheel to zoom in or zoom out.
- Right click on the place you need. From the menu, select "What's here?" »
- A small map will appear at the bottom with location details. GPS coordinates will be listed as part of the information.
Google Maps makes it very easy to get GPS coordinates anywhere in the world.
Here are some additional answers to your most frequently asked questions.
Can I also get latitude and longitude from Google Maps?
Pins represent all locations on Google Maps. These pins can be ones you created by tapping on the map or searching for a location. There are also pre-existing pins such as landmarks, recommended restaurants, or nearby hotels. When you select a pin on the map, the latitude and longitude information is listed in the menu.
Data is displayed in full degree, minute, second (DMS) form, with abbreviated decimal degree form below. You can then send this information to someone else to provide them with the correct instructions.
How accurate are the GPS coordinates received from Google Maps?
Google receives images from multiple sources and stitches them together to form Google Maps. According to Google itself, they claim to have an accuracy of at least 15 meters. Considering that 15 meters may be a lot, scientific research has been done to verify and adjust these claims. They concluded that the lag could vary between 1,5 meters and nine meters, depending on the area studied.
Generally speaking, you can count that a given point can be several meters away. Cities will have more images available, and Google will update their maps of urban centers more frequently than in the countryside. However, tall buildings and signal interference can cause GPS locations to swing more in denser areas. Google Maps will be accurate enough to let people meet or provide directions for everyday use. If you need a specific location of your house, for example, to settle a border dispute with your neighbor, you should contact your local surveyor instead.
What is a Plus Code in Google Maps?
A plus code serves the same purpose as latitude and longitude. This can help others pinpoint an exact location (like the entrance to a building). You may notice that some locations in Google Maps only show the plus code and not the GPS coordinates.
This code can be shared with another person to help them find an exact location.
Location, location, location
You can use Google Maps in many situations, like getting to your dinner on time. The GPS coordinates will allow you not to get lost. However, Google does not offer 100% accuracy, as it is impossible to do. But for everyday use, Google Maps is an incredibly useful tool.
Why do you use Google Maps? Do you have a set of favorite GPS coordinates? Let us know in the comments section below.