Mega Evolutions were added to Pokemon Go in August 2022. The feature has been part of the game for quite some time now. But its rules are still unclear to many players. If you're struggling to figure out how to collect Mega Energy while others are killing you in battles with their Mega Pokemon, we're here to even the odds.
In this guide, we will explain how to get different types of Mega Energy. Plus, we'll answer some of the most common questions related to mega evolution in the game, like who can evolve, how long it lasts, and why you should. Keep reading to make your Pokemon stronger than ever.
How to Get Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
To Mega Evolve a Pokémon, you need to collect Mega Energy. Note that each Pokemon species has its own Mega Energy, so having a strategy for collecting a specific type of Mega Energy is beneficial. Here are all the ways to earn Mega Energy:
- Defeat other Mega-Evolved Pokémon in Raid Battles.
- Complete different research tasks for each species of Pokémon.
- Take a walk with your Pokémon friend.
For the latter, you can earn Mega Candy if you already have a Mega-Evolved Pokémon in your Pokedex in your buddy's evolutionary line. For example, if you own a Mega-Evolved Blastoise, you can earn Mega Candy by walking Squirtle but not Venusaur.
How to Get Mega Energy Without Raids in Pokemon Go
The most efficient way to earn Mega Energy is by defeating Mega Evolved Pokémon in Raid Battles. Of course, this is also the most difficult method. Since you can't use a Mega-Evolved Pokémon in Raid Battles, combat is somewhat unbalanced. Luckily, there are other methods of gaining mega energy that don't require you to fight.
One of them walks with your buddy Pokemon. However, this method only works if you have already Mega-Evolved the same species of Pokémon. So to earn Mega Candy by walking with Bulbasaur, you must already have a Venusaur in your Pokedex.
If you haven't done a Pokemon Mega Evolution yet or if you want to collect Mega Energy for another Pokemon species, you can complete Research Tasks.
Tasks change regularly with new events, and not all tasks give you mega energy. Most of them will only net you Stardust, Poke Balls, Razz Berries, or other more common items. As of this writing, the following research tasks are active and will reward you with Mega Energy:
Pokemon Go How to get Venusaur mega energy?
Each Pokemon species has a different type of Mega Energy, so to evolve a Venusaur, you need to collect Venusaur Mega Energy. Keep in mind that Venusaur requires 200 Megaenergy for the first Mega Evolution, but only 40 for subsequent Mega Evolutions. Here's how to collect Venusaur's Mega Energy:
- If you've ever evolved a Venusaur, make a Bulbasaur your friend. You will get 5 Venusaur Mega Candy per kilometer traveled.
- Defeat Venusaur in Mega Raid Battles to get 35-90 Venusaur Mega Energy. However, there's no way to predict which Mega-Evolved Pokemon you'll be fighting before you start the battle.
- Catch 10 Grass Pokémon to receive 10 Mega Energy Venusaur. This task is active at the time of writing the article, so be sure to double-check the ongoing research tasks.
- Power up a Grass Pokémon five times to receive 10 Venusaur Energy. This task is active at the time of writing the article.
How to Get Slowbro Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
Slowbro takes 200 Slowbro Mega Energy to evolve into Mega Slowbro for the first time and 40 Slowbo Mega Energy for later evolutions. Here is how you can collect this specific type of Mega Energy:
- If you already have a Mega Slowbro saved in your Pokedex, make a Slowpoke your buddy. You will receive 5 Slowbro Mega Energy for every kilometer you ride.
- Defeat Mega Slowbro in Raid Battles. You can get 35-90 Slowbro Mega Energy for each battle, but you can't choose your opponent Pokémon.
- Look for research tasks during events. At the time of writing, none of the research tasks will net you Slowbro Mega Energy, but that may change with the release of a new event.
Pokemon Go How to get Lopunny mega energy?
To Mega Evolve a Lopunny into a Mega Lopunny for the first time, you need 200 Lopunny Mega Energy. That's a lot, but thankfully further evolutions only take 40 Lopunny Mega Energy. Here's how to collect more:
- If you already have a Mega Lopunny in your Pokedex, make a Lopunny your buddy to receive 5 Lopunny Mega Energy for every mile you run together.
- Defeat a Mega Lopunny in a Raid Battle to get 35-90 Lopunny Mega Energy. You can't choose which Pokemon to fight, so you may end up gaining another type of Mega Energy.
- Check regularly for new research tasks. They are updated with each new event. At the time of writing, there are no tasks that grant you Lopunny Mega Energy, but that may change.
How to Get Abomasnow Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
Mega Abomasnow is the Mega-Evolved version of Abomasnow, a dual-type Grass/Ice Pokemon from Generation IV. If you want to add it to your Pokedex, you need to earn 200 Abomasnow Mega Energy. The following Mega Evolutions require 40 Abomasnow Mega Energy. Here is how to get Abomasnow Mega Energy:
- This method only works if you already have a Mega Abomasnow in your Pokedex. Make Abomasnow your friend and you will receive 5 Mega Abomasnow Energy per kilometer traveled together.
- Fight Mega Abomasnow in Raid Battles. If you win, you can get 35-90 Abomasnow Mega Candy. Keep in mind that you don't know in advance which mega Pokemon you'll be battling.
- Watch for updates on research tasks. They change with each published event, about once a month. At the time of writing, none of the research tasks can net you Abomasnow Mega Candy, but that may change with the new update.
How to Get Altaria Mega Energy in Pokemon Go
Mega Altaria is the mega-evolved form of Swablu, a Dragon/Flying-type Pokémon. To add it to your collection, you will need to obtain 200 Altaria Mega Energy. Subsequent Mega Evolutions cost less, only 40 Altaria Mega Energy. There are three methods to collect Altaria Mega Energy:
- Defeat Mega Altaria in a Raid Battle. You can't know in advance which Mega Pokemon you'll have to battle, but you can earn 35-90 Altaria Mega Candy if you're lucky.
- If you've mega-evolved Altaria before, make Swablu your friend. You will receive 5 Altaria Mega Energy for every kilometer traveled.
- Be sure to check for New Research Tasks whenever Niantic introduces an event. None of the tasks can net you Altaria Mega Energy as of this writing, but that may change in the new event.
How much Mega Energy do I need to evolve a Pokemon?
Mega-evolving a Pokémon is not a simple task. You must earn 200 Mega Energy of a matching type to Mega Evolve a Pokémon for the first time. However, subsequent Mega Evolutions only require 40 Megaenergy.
Beedrill and Pigeot are cheaper to Mega Evolve, costing 100 Mega Energy the first time and 20 Mega Energy for subsequent Mega Evolutions.
How many Pokemon can I evolve at once?
You can only have one Mega Pokémon at a time.
How long does mega evolution last in Pokemon Go?
The mega evolution does not last forever. You can only have one Mega Pokémon at a time, and the buff lasts eight hours. Thereafter, your Pokémon will return to its usual final form.
Note that you have a limit of 2 Megaenergy of each type, so don't waste it by storing it and not using it.
What are the benefits of having a Mega Pokémon?
Mega Pokemon get a temporary battle power boost, which is useful in Gym battles, Team GO Rocket battles, PvP battles with friends, and raids. However, you cannot leave a Mega Pokemon as a gym defender and cannot use it in PvP battles against users outside of your friend list.
When you use a Mega Pokémon in Raids, all members of your team will receive an attack boost.
Additionally, a Mega Evolved Pokémon in your Pokedex allows you to collect Mega Energy by walking with a Pokémon friend of the same species.
Finally, some Mega-Evolved Pokémon receive additional benefits due to the type change. For example, Charizard is a Fire/Flying Pokemon, but Mega Charizard is a Fire/Dragon Pokemon.
Now that you know how to get Mega Energy, all you need is time and patience to collect enough. Raid battles are the most efficient way to get mega energy, so your success solely depends on your skills and strategy. Stay Active: Battle with other Mega Pokemon, walk with your buddy, and never miss event updates to become unbeatable.
What is your favorite Mega Pokemon and why? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.