The time-saving convenience offered by Instacart makes it one of the most successful food delivery services available. However, not all companies are perfect and there may be times when there are issues with an order.
Are you an Instacart customer who paid for a less than satisfactory delivery? If so, you're probably wondering how to get reimbursed.
Instacart has a refund policy if you have any difficulty with your order. This article will show you the steps to follow to get a refund.
How to get a refund for an order
There may be a number of legitimate reasons why you want your money refunded. Luckily, Instacart is ready to refund you right away if you're unhappy with your order. Once you have made a request, the process of issuing your refund will begin immediately, but it is subject to certain conditions such as:
- Your order contained damaged or damaged items that were unusable.
- Items that were charged to you are missing from your final receipt.
- The buyer made poor replacements that you didn't ask for.
- Your order arrived late or much earlier than expected.
One requirement is that your refund request must be made within seven days of your delivery or pickup. If you meet these terms, you can use the Instacart app or the Instacart website to do so. The app can be found in the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
Follow these steps to request a refund through the Instacart app:
- Download the app if you haven't already and launch it.
- Tap "Your Orders" at the top left of the screen.
- Choose "Get Help" for the order you wish to be refunded.
- Select the problem(s) you encountered with your order.
- Check to see if you were charged for the item(s) with the problem.
- Indicate the item(s) concerned.
- Tap "Refund".
To request a refund for your order from the Instacart website:
- Sign into your account.
- Go to "Your orders" (3 horizontal lines at the top left).
- Click "Report a problem" on the order that has been affected.
- Choose if you want to adjust your tip and bill.
- Select "Report a problem" and state the problem with your order.
- Specify if you were charged for the items you want to be refunded.
- Choose the relevant items.
- Click on “Refund” and then on “All done”.
Instacart will send a confirmation email regarding your refund request. Although Instacart processes your request immediately, the refund is not credited to your Instacart account. Instead, the funds are sent to your bank or credit card.
It may take 5-10 business days for your financial institution to deposit the money into your account. If you haven't received your refund after 10 business days, contact Instacart Customer Service.
Same day refund of an order
Depending on the issue, you may be eligible for a same-day refund. A refund must also be requested within 24 hours of delivery of your order.
Instacart generates a digital receipt for every transaction, and you can quickly check if you received a refund the same day from that receipt. You can check this transaction from your mobile app or the website.
To open the digital receipt from the app:
- Select "Orders" (in the lower right corner).
- Tap the command you want to see in the list of commands.
- Choose “Received”.
To open the digital receipt from the website:
- Go to “Your orders” (top left).
- Select "Show Order Details" on the entry you want to view.
- Tap "View Receipt" at the top of the page.
The bottom of the receipt will show your charge for the order. If you received the refund, you'll see it at the bottom, with a deduction from the total bill.
You can confirm the refund by checking your payment method listed. Look for the previous charge to be replaced with the new Instacart total reflecting your refund.
You may need to contact Instacart customer service directly rather than using the app or website in some situations. This includes:
- If you received someone else's order.
- Your refund is missing (and 10 business days have passed).
- There was a problem with the delivery driver.
- You want to completely delete your Instacart account.
To contact the company directly, call their customer service number. You can also live chat by selecting "Get Help" at the bottom of any Help Center article.
How to cancel an Instacart subscription and get a refund for the remaining time
You might have tried the Instacart Express subscription and decided it's not for you. You can cancel your Instacart subscription in a few simple steps. The conditions for obtaining a refund for the remaining time will follow the cancellation instructions below.
Once you cancel Instacart Express, your membership ends immediately. Here is how to cancel subscription from Instacart app:
- Sign into your account.
- Select “Express Membership” from the menu at the top left of the screen.
- Tap "Cancel Membership" at the bottom of the page.
- Choose "Continue" and indicate the reason for your cancellation.
- Confirm by clicking "Cancel".
You can still keep your free account with Instacart if you choose to do so. However, you must call Instacart customer service to permanently close your account. Once the account is closed, you can delete the app from your device.
Here's how to cancel your subscription on the Instacart website:
- Log in to your Instacart account.
- Tap "Account" or your name in the upper right corner.
- Select "Change my plan".
- Choose "End Subscription".
- Click on the “Continue to Cancel” option.
The website will display your membership end date on the “Express” page. However, you have the option of receiving a reminder three days before your membership renews. If you change your mind about canceling, you can continue your plan instead.
How to get a refund for the remaining time
You can get a refund for your Instacart Express subscription if it is canceled within 15 days of subscription payment. The service will refund you the full fee (monthly or yearly) if you have not placed any orders.
Unfortunately, no membership refunds are granted after 15 days of registration. In this case, you will receive free deliveries until the end of the billing period and must decline your membership renewal at that time.
Make sure to cancel your subscription in advance if you are nearing the end of your Instacart Express subscription and have decided not to renew it. If the subscription automatically renews in error, you will need to request a refund within 15 days or wait until the end of the billing cycle.
Old fashioned shopping
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Instacart and other food delivery companies have become the new normal way to shop for groceries in countless households. Their “contactless” delivery option offered people a health safety measure.
As the world begins to “reopen,” shoppers are beginning to flock to stores to shop the old-fashioned way again. However, since Instacart prioritizes providing good customer service, it remains a convenient shopping option with loyal customers.
Have you ordered groceries from Instacart or other food delivery services? Did you have any problems? How were they resolved? Let us know in the comments section below.