Users are increasingly aware of their privacy exposure on WhatsApp. You appear online to a group of contacts by simply opening a message, and this can give people the false impression that you are available for a chat whenever you use the app. But a little trick that can help you is turning off your online status in WhatsApp.
If you are looking for ways to hide your online status on WhatsApp, you have come to the right place. This article will offer you everything you need to know about this trick whether you are accessing WhatsApp on PC, iPhone or Android user.
How to Hide Your Online Status in WhatsApp on iPhone
WhatsApp's "Last Seen" status allows users to see what time other people were online on the app and if they are currently using the platform. As convenient as this may be for some users, for others it's a major privacy issue. Turning off your online status is the logical first step to protecting your privacy.
However, note that after disabling your "Last Seen" status, you won't be able to see your contacts' online status either.
If you are an iPhone user and want to hide your online status on the app, follow the steps below.
- Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone.
- Tap the "Settings" button in the bottom menu.
- Go to the “Account” section.
- Tap the "Privacy" button in the list of options.
- A new list of options will appear where you can change who can see your personal information. Tap "Last Seen" to change your online status settings.
- Hide your “Last Seen” status by tapping on “Nobody”. You can select "My Contacts" if you want only your contacts to see your status or "Everyone" to have everyone see your "Last Seen" status.
How to Hide Your Online Status in WhatsApp on Android Device
People often want to hide their online status to keep some privacy for themselves. If you prefer to text WhatsApp incognito, you can do that on your Android device. Just follow the steps below.
- Launch WhatsApp on your Android device.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select "Settings" and navigate to the "Account" section.
- Go to “Privacy”.
- Tap "Last Seen" and select "Nobody" if you want to completely hide your online status. Tap "My Contacts" if you only want your contacts to see your online status.
How to Hide Your Online Status in WhatsApp from PC
If you use WhatsApp on your PC, you're probably on the web-based WhatsApp version. This version does not allow changing the online status via the settings page as with the smartphone.
Instead, you need to install plugins for your browser. Assuming you're using Chrome, there are two plugins you can use. Just follow the steps below.
- Go to Google Chrome Online Store and search for the “WAIncognito” extension.
- Install the extension to use WhatsApp without appearing online.
- Tap the extension to change the settings. You can check the box next to the "Do not send last seen updates" option to hide your online status.
You can also install a plugin called WA Web Plus. Simply add the plugin to your Chrome, access the WhatsApp web as usual, and follow the steps below:
- With the WhatsApp web open, tap on the WA Web Plus plugin.
- Check the box next to "Hide online" to hide your online status from your contacts.
- If the changes do not apply immediately, simply reload the WhatsApp web application.
Can I chat while appearing offline in WhatsApp?
Yes! There are two handy tricks you can use to read and reply to messages on WhatsApp while staying offline. The first is the most direct and consists of replying to a message via the notification panel:
· For iPhone users, simply swipe the message from your notification panel to the left, select the view option and reply.
· For Android, tap the message in your notification panel, select the "Reply" button and send the message.
· If you accidentally deleted the message preview, you can scroll down from the top of your screen to view unread notifications, hold the chat in question, and press the "Reply" button.
The second method of replying to a message while appearing offline involves airplane mode. You turn on airplane mode and it lets you read a message without appearing online. This way, your last recorded online time on WhatsApp is the one before you turned on Airplane mode. It's a pretty cool feature, except it prevents you from receiving new messages while it's enabled.
Here are the detailed steps on how to perform this “trick”:
1. Put your device in airplane mode.
2. Launch WhatsApp and open the chat you want to send a new message to.
3. Enter the message and press the "Send" button.
4. Turn airplane mode off. The recipient will receive your message without you appearing online.
Now you know two methods that help you chat without appearing online. Feel free to use the quick reply option when you know the person will keep texting you more if they think you're online. If there's a single text you need answered but want to avoid being seen online, you can always turn on Airplane Mode.
Can I see others while my status is hidden in WhatsApp?
In WhatsApp settings, you can change your online status to make it visible to everyone, only your contacts or no one. If you set the status to 'No one', no one will be able to see your 'Last seen' status, but you also won't be able to see other people's online status.
If you choose the "My contacts" setting, you will be able to see when your contacts are online, and they will also be able to see when you are.
Can I hide my status for specific contacts in WhatsApp?
You can hide your status updates for certain contacts by following the steps below:
For iPhone users:
1. Launch WhatsApp on your iPhone and go to the "Settings" page.
2. Go to "Account", then "Privacy".
3. Go to the “Status” section and tap on “My contacts except…”
4. Check the circled box next to the contact(s) whose status updates you want to hide.
5. Tap "Done" when finished.
For Android users:
1. Launch WhatsApp on your phone and go to the three-dot menu at the top right of the screen.
2. Tap "Settings" from the drop-down menu.
3. Go to "Account".
4. Go to "Privacy", then "Status".
5. Select the “My contacts except…” option.
6. Tap the circle area next to the contacts you want to hide your status updates from.
7. Tap the green circle at the bottom right to confirm.
Be careful, these steps will only hide your status updates from specific contacts. They won't hide your "Last Seen" status.
You can hide your "Last Seen" status for "Anyone", "My Contacts", or "Nobody". There is currently no feature to hide the online status of specific contacts only.
If you want to block a specific contact from seeing your online status, you'll need to block them in your account. After that, the person won't be able to see your "Last Seen" status, or other personal information like your profile picture, stories, or anything else associated with your account.
Here's how to block a contact:
1. Launch WhatsApp on your phone.
2. Tap the chat with a person you want to block.
3. Tap that person's name at the top of the screen and select "Block".
4. Select "Block" in the prompt to finish.
WhatsApp chat disappeared incognito
Hiding your online status has many benefits. You won't feel as obligated to reply to a message as soon as you read it. Meanwhile, scrolling through the app late at night when you just want to relax doesn't make you easy prey for constant messages from your contacts, and your overall privacy levels are higher. This article has shared everything there is to know when it comes to hiding your online status on WhatsApp. I hope you can use some of the things you learned.
What are the main reasons why you want to hide your online status on WhatsApp? Share your opinion in the comments below.