Whether you're a student or use your computer for work, you've probably used Microsoft Office suite programs like Word or PowerPoint. It is one of the most popular software suites and is used by 1,5 billion people worldwide.
Office 365 debuted in 2001 as a cloud-based, subscription-based version of the popular Microsoft Office productivity suite. Office 365 includes the same core programs as traditional versions of Office, plus additional programs and services depending on your subscription.
Several subscription options are available for Office 365, including versions for personal use, multi-user households, students, businesses, organizations, and educational institutions. This article explains how to install Office 365 on different devices, regardless of which version you're using.
Before installing Office 365, you will need to choose your subscription plan and create an account on the official website.
How to Install Office 365 on a Chromebook
Unfortunately, you can't download Office apps from the Chrome Web Store. The easiest approach to installing Microsoft Office on a Chromebook is to download the Office apps for Android and Chromebooks. For this you will need the Google Play Store.
- Open the Play Store.
- In the search bar, find the desired Office program.
- Click on “Install”.
- Open the app with the Chrome launcher.
- Sign in to your Office 365 subscription account.
How to Install Office 365 on a Windows PC
Before installing Office 365 on your Windows PC, you should check the system requirements and which version is compatible with the Windows system you are using.
- Go to the official Microsoft Office website and sign in.
- Select "Install Office 365 apps".
- Select the apps you need.
- Click "Download".
- Once the download is complete, an installer will instantly launch and begin installing Microsoft Office 365 applications. Follow the installation instructions.
- The first time you open an app, you sign in to activate the product. Signing in will also save your work to OneDrive.
How to Install Office 365 on a Mac
The steps for installing Office on a Mac are almost the same as for Windows. You should also check the system requirements before you start.
- Log on to the official Microsoft Office website.
- Choose "Install Office 365 apps".
- Select the apps you want to download.
- Click the "Download" button.
- Once the download is complete, open “Finder”.
- Go to "Downloads" and click on "Microsoft Office installer.pkg".
- Follow the installation instructions.
- Once the installation is complete, open the Launchpad.
- Select the Microsoft Word icon.
- A "What's New" window will appear. Select "Get Started" to activate the product.
How to Install Office 365 on an iPhone
Office applications are not limited to a computer. Using the Office 365 package on the go lets you check or fix something quickly. To install Office 365 on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the App Store.
- Tap the Office app you want to download.
- Press "Get".
- Once the application installation is complete, press "Open".
- You will see a window with information. Proceed to the third screen.
- Press "Connection".
- Enter your information and press "Next" to finalize your connection and use the applications.
How to Install Office 365 on an Android Device
The installation process may vary depending on your device and version of Android, but the basic steps are as follows:
- Open Google Play Store.
- Search for "Microsoft Office 365".
- Tap "Install".
- Once the installation is complete, press "Open".
- Tap "Allow" on the pop-ups.
- Press "Start".
- Select "Connect your account" and log in.
Downloading the full Microsoft Office suite will give you access to essential programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on your Android device. To install other Office 365 apps, you need to search for them individually in the Google Play Store and repeat the steps listed above.
Is Office 365 different from Microsoft 365?
Microsoft 365 should not be confused with Microsoft Dynamics 365 or Office 365. Microsoft 365 is a service pack that contains Office 365 along with other business tools. The first was created to provide businesses with access to all the fundamental tools needed to administer their core IT infrastructure and protect their business.
Can I use Office 365 with previous versions of Office?
Many existing Office users who now use a permanently licensed, on-premises version of Office can use Office 365 and enjoy all the benefits that cloud connectivity offers. Office 365 works best with the latest version of Office and Office 2016. It also works with Office 2013 and Office 2011 for Mac. Older versions of Office, such as Office 2010 and Office 2007, may also work with Office 365, with limited support.
Is Office 365 secure?
Yes. Cloud-hosted Office 365 users can benefit from Microsoft's massive security efforts, including built-in antivirus, anti-spam, and anti-malware as standard. Office 365 data is stored in Microsoft's global data centers, where specialized threat management teams predict, detect and neutralize unwanted access 24 hours a day, 24 days a week. All messages are checked using Exchange Online Protection (EOP) and emails are protected by SSL/TLS at rest and in transit.
Do I need to be online to use Office 365?
You'll need an internet connection to access Office 365, but you don't need to stay signed in to work. All Office 365 plans require internet connectivity to be installed and enabled first.
Remember that if you need to access documents stored in the cloud, you will need to connect to the internet to download files and work offline. Access to Office 365 cloud services such as email, real-time document co-authoring, and conferencing will also be restricted.
How much does Office 365 cost?
Office 365 comes in a variety of packages to meet the needs of any business or individual. Package prices vary depending on your needs.
Other factors that influence the price of Office 365 include the number of users per plan, email options, and whether you want sophisticated analytics.
Use Office 365 with ease
Installing Office 365 is relatively simple as long as you have a subscription. Keep in mind that the steps may vary slightly, especially for the many different Android devices. Additionally, there are online versions of some Office features that allow users to share their files and edit them simultaneously.
Do you have an Office 365 subscription? Do you prefer offline or online versions? On which devices do you use Office 365 the most? Let us know in the comment section below!