Sony does not support VPN apps on its platform, so you cannot download a VPN app from the PlayStation Store to set up a connection. However, the good news is that there are a few easy ways around this. Today, we are going to introduce you to these workarounds.
In this article, we'll show you the easiest ways to set up a VPN on a PS4 using our favorite VPN.
Set up a VPN through your Wi-Fi router
The easiest way to use a VPN with your PS4 is through your router. When setting up a VPN on your router, all traffic going through your router (including your PS4 traffic) will automatically be encrypted.
VPN connections are supported on most modern routers. You just need to enter your account details in the router settings. The exact steps depend on the router manufacturer, but the process will be essentially similar to this:
- Go to ExpressVPN to create a VPN account and subscription.
- Log into your router and find the settings menu.
- Locate the VPN page where you will need to enter the following information provided when setting up your ExpressVPN account:
- The service name
- Server address
- Your account name/email address and password
- A pre-shared key for encryption
Now when you connect your PS4 to the internet, it will use the VPN connection. This new connection works for all your connected devices.
Set up a VPN through your computer
If your router does not allow VPN connections, this option is for you. It's also best to use this method if you'd rather not have all of your devices using the VPN. With these steps, you would essentially turn your computer into a virtual router.
Before you begin, however, you'll need an internet-connected computer and an additional Ethernet cable to connect to your console.
It might sound a little tricky, but it's relatively simple. Here's how to configure this through Windows:
- Visit ExpressVPN to create a VPN account and subscription.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Launch the application and click on “Register”.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to register and log in.
- Choose a subscription plan, choose the country of your connection and press the power button to connect.
- Plug your Ethernet cable into your computer and your PS4.
- Go to "Control Panel", "Network and Internet", then "Network and Sharing Center".
- On the left, click "Change adapter settings".
- On your VPN connection, right-click, then choose “Properties”.
- On the "Sharing" tab, make sure "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" is selected.
- Select "Home network connection" then from the drop-down menu, then choose your Internet connection. This should be a “Wi-Fi” connection if your computer has an Ethernet port.
- Now on your PS4, select "Settings", "Network Settings", "Set up Internet Connection".
- Choose "Use a LAN cable", then select the "Easy connection" method.
- When prompted, select "Do not use a proxy server".
- If you wish, you can now test your internet connection to confirm that your PS4 is connected to the internet through your VPN.
Follow the same steps to use a VPN through macOS:
- Plug your Ethernet cable into the back of your PS4 and your Mac.
- Go to "System Preferences", "Sharing" and choose "Internet Sharing".
- In the “Share your connection from” drop-down menu, select “Wi-Fi”.
- Make sure the "Ethernet" option is checked via the "To computers using" list.
- Check the box to the left of “Internet Sharing”.
- In your browser, visit the ExpressVPN website to create a VPN account and subscription.
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app.
- Open the app and select "Register".
- Follow the prompts to register and log in.
- Select a subscription plan. Choose the location you want to connect to and press the power button to connect.
- Test your internet connection to confirm that your PS4 has successfully connected to the internet through your ExpressVPN.
How to Use a VPN on a PS4 with a Windows PC
To use a VPN on your PS4 through a Windows PC, you can set up a virtual hotspot on your computer and connect to it. Essentially, your computer will share the VPN connection with your PS4.
You will need an Ethernet cable and your computer needs an Ethernet port and a Wi-Fi card to make all the connections. This method is not as technical as it may seem. Here's how to set it up quickly:
- Connect your PS4 console and your computer via an Ethernet cable.
- Go to "Control Panel", "Network and Sharing Center", then choose "Change adapter settings".
- Right-click on your VPN, then choose “Properties”.
- Under 'Sharing', make sure 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection' is selected.
- Download and install ExpressVPN.
- Click "Register", then follow the instructions to set up a subscription.
- Choose the country and press the power button to connect.
- From your PS4, test your internet connection to confirm that you have successfully connected through your ExpressVPN account.
How to Use a VPN on a PS4 with a Mac
To use a VPN on your console with your macOS, you can set up a virtual router. This method will share your computer's VPN connection with your PS4 console.
To set this up you will need an Ethernet cable and your Mac needs an Ethernet port and a Wi-Fi card to make all the connections. Here's how to set it up:
- Download and install the ExpressVPN app on your Mac.
- Click on "Login" to create an account and choose your subscription.
- Connect your Mac and PS4 via Ethernet cable.
- Go to "System Preferences", "Sharing", then in the list on the left, choose "Internet Sharing".
- Select "Wi-Fi" from the "Share your connection" drop-down menu.
- Make sure "Ethernet" is checked via the "To computers using" list.
- To the left of "Internet Sharing", check the box to enable Internet connection sharing. If prompted, confirm the choice. A green icon will appear if successful.
- Open the ExpressVPN app to connect to a server in the country of your choice.
- On your PS4, go to "Settings", "Network Settings", then "Set up Internet Connection".
- Select "Use a LAN cable", then the "Easy connection method".
- When prompted, click "Do not use a proxy server".
- Test your PS4 internet connection to confirm that it is connected to the internet through your ExpressVPN account.
Will my ping be affected when using a VPN?
Your ping will not be affected by using VPN. One of the purposes of a VPN in gaming is to reduce lag by providing fast connections to a network of servers around the world.
Play your PlayStation from anywhere in the world
Using a VPN on your PS4 will trick it into thinking you're accessing it from somewhere else in the world. It's great for reducing gaming lag, accessing new PlayStation games, or geo-restricted streaming content.
Since Sony does not support VPN apps or their sideloading, you can configure your router to use a VPN connection by manually entering your VPN account details. Alternatively, you can configure your computer as a virtual router.
What method did you use to connect a VPN to your console? Let us know in the comments section below.