If you've been playing Minecraft for a while and looking to change it up a bit, chances are you've considered using a mod loader like Fabric. Although this modding toolchain is growing in popularity, installation instructions for these mods are still relatively hard to find.
If you find yourself in this situation, you have come to the right place. In this article, we take a look at how to install Fabric mods with TLauncher and Forge on your Mac or Windows PC.
How to Install Cloth Mods with Forge
If you're looking to install Fabric mods with Forge, we have some bad news for you. Unfortunately, Fabric and Forge are two different and incompatible APIs. Additionally, the mods for the two platforms also conflict, making it impossible to install Fabric mods with Forge.
It is also essential to remember that you cannot install both mod loaders at the same time. If you're using Forge and trying to load mods for Fabric, they won't work.
If you're having trouble deciding which one to install, it's helpful to figure out which one best suits your needs. Forge is specifically designed for use with Minecraft and is not compatible with other Java-based games. If you want to play other Java games, Fabric might be a better option because it loads mods for Minecraft and other games. And while you can only use Fabric for modding purposes, it is compatible with all versions of Minecraft.
How to Install Fabric Mods in TLauncher
If you have the latest version of TLauncher and want to incorporate Fabric mods to change your game, here's how:
- Choose the version of the Fabric installer you want to use https://fabricmc.net/use/.
- Download the JAR/Universal installer.
- Once downloaded, run the installer.
- In the installation window that opens, make sure the "Client" tab is selected.
- Choose the version of the game you want from the "Minecraft Version" drop-down menu. And the loader version in the applicable menu.
- In the 'Install Location' bar, enter the following: 'C:UsersyourusernameAppDataRoaming.minecraft'.
Where it says "your username," enter your device username instead.
- Check the “Create a profile” box.
- Click on “Install”.
- Once the installation is complete, open TLauncher.
- Navigate down the screen. Click on the drop-down menu and select "Fabric-Loader" from the options.
Fabric installation is complete and you can start playing your game.
It's important to note that most mods will also require the Framework API to work, so you'll need to download that and add the file to the "Mods" folder in your Minecraft directory (C:UsersyourusernameAppDataRoaming.minecraft).
Then you will need to download the mods you want to use. There are various places where you can find mods, one of the most reputable sources being CurseForge. Here is how to install mods on TLauncher:
- Navigate to your Minecraft directory (C:UsersyourusernameAppDataRoaming.minecraft) and open the "Mods" folder. If you don't have one, create one now.
- Download the JAR file of the mods you want and save it in the "Mods" folder.
- Open TLauncher and start the game using your Fabric profile.
How to Install Fabric Mods on Mac
If you want to sideload Fabric mods on your Mac, you need to install Fabric first. Here are the steps to follow:
- Download the Fabric installer from https://fabricmc.net/use/.
- Once downloaded, open the Fabric installer and make sure the "Client" tab is selected at the top.
- Select the Minecraft version and Loader version you want to install from the corresponding drop-down menus. (We suggest sticking to the latest version of the loader.)
- Make sure your install location is set correctly. It should look like this: ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft.
- Make sure the "Create profile" box is selected.
- Click on the “Install” button, and once the installation is complete, click on “OK”.
- Open your Minecraft launcher. Your new Fabric profile should be automatically selected. You can now click on “Play”.
Now that Fabric is installed, you can start installing the various mods you want to use. Here's how to go about it:
- Download the mods you want to use from a platform like CurseForge.
- Once the mods are downloaded, navigate to your Minecraft installation folder (it should look like this: ~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft) and locate the “Mods” folder.
- If you don't have a "Mods" folder, create one by clicking "New Folder" at the top of the window, then name it "Mods."
- Open this “Mods” folder. Save downloaded JAR files for your mods in this folder.
- You can now open your Minecraft launcher and start playing using your Fabric profile.
How to Install Fabric Mods on Windows
Installing Fabric mods on your Windows PC is relatively straightforward, although you will need to install Fabric before you can use the mods:
- Download the Fabric mod loader installer from https://fabricmc.net/use/.
- Run the installer file on your computer. When the installation window opens, make sure the "Client" tab is selected.
- Choose the Minecraft version you want to use, then choose the Loader version from the applicable menu.
- Verify that "Installation Location" is set correctly. It should look like this on a Windows PC: C:/Users/(username)/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft.
- Make sure you have checked the "Create a profile" box.
- Click on "Install" and then on "OK".
- Open your Minecraft launcher and your Fabric profile should already be selected. Click "Play" to start your game.
Now that Fabric is installed, it's time to install the Fabric mods:
- Browse the web (we suggest sites like CurseForge) and find the mods you want and download them.
- Locate your Minecraft installation folder on your PC. It should look something like this: C:/Users/(username)/AppData/Roaming/.minecraft. From there, open the “Mods” folder.
- If you don't have a "Mods" folder, create one now.
- Copy the JAR files of your downloaded mods to this folder.
- Once done, open your Minecraft launcher. Start the game in your Fabric profile.|
Cloth mods installed!
Installing Fabric mods on different platforms and clients can seem a bit overwhelming at first, especially if installing mods isn't something you've done before. By following the steps in this guide, you should find the task a little easier. Soon you will be installing mods like a pro.
All you have to do now is figure out which mods you want to add for an exciting new gaming experience.
Have you installed any Fabric mods on TLauncher or Forge on a Mac or Windows PC? Did you use a set of instructions similar to those provided in this guide? Let us know by leaving us a note in the comments section below.