Playing with other people in Sea of Thieves is essential. You want your crew to be as strong as possible, allowing you to embark on the most demanding journeys. Teaming up with your friends might be the preferred style, but you might want to spice things up by joining random users from around the world.
In this entry, we'll tell you everything you need to know about joining random crews in Sea of Thieves, including sending and accepting invites from other players. So grab your best pirate gear and brush up on your sea shanties because it's time for more adventures on the high seas.
How to join a random crew in Sea of Thieves
To play with random people, you will need to join an open crew. These are automatically put together and can include your friends or random users. This is how it works:
- Launch the game and go to the ship selection screen.
- Opt for the Galleon and you'll come to a menu that lets you manually invite other people into the game.
- Since you want to play with random users, launch your game without inviting your friends. The game will pair you with three other sailors from around the world.
If you played Sea of Thieves alone, you can automatically access the sloop in the ship selection screen. However, boarding a small sloop is a solo adventure. For group adventures, you want to select the large galleon for an online quest. If you choose the former, you'll instantly board on your own and arrive at a tavern where you'll begin your journey. Nevertheless, your world will still be inhabited by many users.
How do I send and accept invitations in Sea of Thieves?
Since Sea of Thieves uses Steam's Xbox Live functionality, sending and accepting invites from other users is slightly different than expected. For example, you cannot select your friends from the Steam friends list and invite them. Likewise, you will not receive invitations in the same way.
However, there are several ways to send and receive a player-to-player invite with your Steam platform. First you need to make sure you are signed in to the correct account. Once you've done that, follow the steps below to get started:
Verification of registration
Verify that your account is registered with the Xbox Console Companion app and the Windows Store. Otherwise, invitations will not work.
1. Launch the game with Steam.
2. Enter your profile credentials during the process.
3. Link your account to Steam.
You should now be able to join other users without any problems.
First method – Invitations via the lobby
Let's first see how you can invite them from the lobby.
1. From your main menu, choose the preferred mode and enter the lobby.
2. Look for the "Invite Friends" button on the lower left of your screen. Click the button or press "1" on your keyboard.
3. You will now see a list of your friends, allowing you to invite them as you normally would.
Method Two – Invites via Windows Game Bar
You can also use the Windows Game Bar from the lobby by doing the following:
1. Press the "Windows" button and "G" or your "Guide" on the controller to access your game bar.
2. Once you have accessed the game bar, right click on the player you want to invite in the “Xbox Social” menu.
3. Choose the "Invite to Play" option from the list.
Invites are also available through your Xbox Console Companion app and Windows Game Bar.
Method Three – In-Game Invitations
Sending an in-game invite is another way to join other Sea of Thieves players:
1. While playing, press the "Esc" button to activate the pause menu.
2. Go through the options and choose "My crew".
3. Go to the "Invite Friends" option at the bottom left of your screen. Click the button or press "1" on your keyboard.
4. The game will take you to your friends list, where you can send them invitations.
5. As with the previous method, you can also use the game bar overlay and right-click on the profiles you want to invite.
Accepting invitations can also be done in several ways:
1. When you're in-game, you should see all of your invites in a pop-up within your session. Accept the message to proceed to the game.
2. Outside of the game, you will be able to accept invites using the Xbox Game Bar.
Another great thing about Sea of Thieves is that it allows you to enter another user's match through your friends list without an invite. You can do this with your Windows Game Bar whether or not the other user is in-game or in the lobby. However, their profile should be tagged as a friend. Here's what you need to do to join a session without an invitation:
1. Start your Windows Game Bar.
2. Head to the “Xbox Social” menu.
3. Right-click on the profile and choose the “Join Game” option from the list. Doing this outside of the game will now launch Sea of Thieves.
4. You will receive a message informing you of the other player's game.
5. Press the "Yes" button and you will be redirected to their session.
Business is always welcome
While Sea of Thieves solo voyages can be a tremendous source of fun, the experience can be much more satisfying with random people. It is much easier to undertake even the most difficult quests, and you can communicate with users from all over the world. So, team up with other sailors and get ready for hours of exciting travels.
Do you prefer playing with strangers or friends in Sea of Thieves? How often do you play solo? Let us know in the comments section below.