Instagram is a juggernaut of a social network and one of the most transparent players in the game. Plus, it has simple menus on both mobile and web platforms. Therefore, finding out if someone has logged into your account, deleting it, and resetting your password shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
How to see the last active users
Seeing the latest active connections is a walk in the park. Instagram lets you find all the essential login information in the app and on the official website. You won't have to jump through any hoops or request and download profile data to access this information.
In the following sections, how to see the last active users for mobile and web versions will be covered.
This section combines the Android and iPhone platforms, as the differences between the two versions of the application are negligible. Here's how to see the latest active uses on Instagram using the mobile app. Note that for the purposes of this tutorial, we used an iPhone.
- Launch the Instagram app on your device. If necessary, log in. Otherwise, you can proceed to the second step.
- Tap your profile icon in the bottom menu. This will take you to the main section of your profile page.
- After that, tap on the menu icon at the top of the screen. The side menu will appear, containing some of the essential settings tabs.
- Next, tap on the Settings entry at the top of the list.
- Once on the Settings screen, find and tap the Security entry in the menu.
- Next, tap the Login Activity entry on the Security screen.
When the login activity screen opens, Instagram will show you the list of locations from which you have logged into your account. The top entry in the list is your phone, which will have the Active Now tag.
From PC or Mac
The web version of Instagram also lets you see your login history. Here's how to find it. Note that the following steps are for PC and macOS users.
- Launch your browser and go to Instagram official website. You need to click on one of the two profile icons that you see in the upper right section of the browser window.
- Click the cog next to the Edit Profile button. It's near the top of the screen.
- A menu will appear. Select the Login Activity entry.
- Instagram will then show you a list containing all the login locations from which you (or someone else) logged into your account. The first result will have the Active Now tag below the location. It represents the device through which you logged in.
How to sign out of all other devices
Disconnecting devices you don't want on your profile is a simple process. It only takes a minute or two, and you can do it from the app and through the platform's official website.
Removing unwanted devices works the same on both versions of the mobile app. Here are the steps to follow:
- You must follow steps 1 through 7 of the section on viewing the last active uses. If everything checks out, you should now be on the login activity page.
- Choose an entry from the list that you want to delete. To do this, tap the three horizontal dots on the right.
- The application will then display the login information window. It will show you the approximate location of the device. You will see the city and country, as well as the time and date of the connection and the operating system of the device. Tap the Logout button at the bottom of the screen.
- Instagram will display the Disconnected message. It will inform you that the application has logged you (or someone else) out of the session in question.
Here is how to get rid of unwanted devices via the official website.
- Launch your favorite browser and go to Instagram official website. Log in if necessary. After that, follow steps 2-4 from the previous section “From a PC or Mac”. You should end up on the Sign-in activity page and see the list of locations and devices you've used to sign in.
- Next, you need to click on the down-pointing arrow next to the entry you want to delete. Instagram will show you the approximate location, time and date of login, and platform.
- Now click on the Logout button under the entry. Instagram should show Session disconnected message on the screen.
- Click OK to confirm. You should repeat the process for all list entries that you know or suspect someone else has created. Repeat this process as many times as necessary. Delete any entries that seem suspicious.
After performing the steps listed above, it's time to secure your account.
Change your password: mobile
In this section, we'll cover changing your password to a stronger one. First, we'll cover the mobile version of the app:
- Launch the app on your phone and go to your profile.
- Tap the three horizontal lines (menu) icon.
- Select the Settings icon at the bottom of the menu.
- Next, tap on the Security tab, followed by Password.
- Enter your current password in the top text box. After that enter the new one and then enter it again.
- Tap the tick icon to save changes.
Change your password: Office
Here's how to change your password via the website:
- Launch the browser and go to Instagram official website. Click on your profile.
- Then click on the Settings cog.
- Select the Change password entry from the context menu.
- Enter your old password and enter the new one in the required fields. Click the Change Password button.
Finally, you need to run the antivirus to check your device or devices. Run a deep scan to see if there are any viruses or other malware on the system. It is recommended to leave the antivirus active in the background for real-time protection.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we'll go over answers to other Instagram security questions you might have.
Does Instagram notify you of new connections?
Unfortunately, the answer to this is that Instagram doesn't always notify us when someone logs into our account. We have a full article on the subject here.
However, Instagram has a section in the privacy settings which lists any alerts or messages from the social media platform. As long as you have access to your account, go to your settings as we did above. Next, tap on “Security” and finally, tap on “Emails from Instagram”. If there are any unusual connections, they should be listed here.
Does Instagram offer two-factor authentication?
Yes. Go to privacy settings and enable the feature. Although Instagram won't email you if someone tries to log in, you will get a login passcode if someone tries to access your account.
Without the appropriate code, another user will not be able to access your account. Just make sure to keep your account information up to date, otherwise you may run into issues trying to access it.
What can I do if my account has been completely hacked?
If you can't access your account because someone changed your login information, you're completely out of luck. First, browse through the Reset Password selection (although this may seem futile). Instagram can send a reset to an email you have access to.
Then contact Instagram's support team for help. If you can't get verification to recover your account, you'll need help.
Make sure your account is secure
The methods described in this article should help you keep your Instagram intact or regain its sovereignty if compromised.
Did you find anything suspicious in your login list? Have you changed your password and activated your antivirus? Let us know in the comments section below.