With the ability to interact with and manipulate most objects, Gmod still reigns supreme among sandbox games. You are free to do whatever you want, even build a car yourself. However, this requires some knowledge of the game.
Fortunately, Gmod already contains all the tools needed to build a car. Here you will learn everything you need to create a functional vehicle that you can drive. There are also several ways to do this, which we will discuss below. But first :
Gmod: How to make a car
Cars in Gmod usually have these parts:
These parts can all be found in the Spawn menu, accessible by pressing Q on your keyboard. With the help of your physical gun, you can DIY vehicles simply by combining parts.
Here are the basic steps to make a car in Gmod:
You will need to be in a Gmod session for this to work. It can be any of your sessions.
- The first thing you need to do is press Q and open your Spawn menu.
- Appears in an object that will work well as the chassis of the vehicle.
- Go to the “Tools” section and then head to “Build”.
- In this section you can find “Wheel”.
- Choose wheels you like.
- Repeat steps three through five for the thrusters.
- Open the Spawn menu and navigate to the "Vehicles" tab.
- Look for a suitable chair.
Once you have all the pieces, you can start combining them. Keep in mind that objects are now stationary. You must use your physical gun before they can move.
Now that all the objects are in the world, it's time to combine them. Your Physics Gun will help you do the heavy lifting.
- Equip your physical pistol.
- Left-click on your chassis.
- Place your chassis somewhere in the air, so that the parts easily attach to it.
- Left-click on the wheels and attach them to your car's frame.
- Left-click on your chassis again and hold it down.
- Release your click and free the chassis from airborne suspension.
- Left-click on the thrusters you spawned in.
- Attach them to the vehicle.
- Also fix the chair.
Now you need to adjust your wheels and thrusters. This will allow you to drive safely and steadily. Without manual settings, you cannot accelerate at all.
Tuning wheels and propellers
- Approach your wheel and press C on the keyboard to bring up the context menu.
- Adjust the torque, force limits and friction of each wheel.
- Keep the strength limit at zero so it stays there.
- Go to the Keyboard section in the wheel context menu.
- Attach your wheels to the keys you like.
- Now go to your thrusters and open the context menu.
- Adjust thruster strength to something reasonable.
Although you can bind any of these functions to the keys of your choice, we have some recommendations for you.
Spur wheels can be linked to:
- Nine for forward spin
- Six for the back spin
Left wheels can be linked to:
- Seven for forward spin
- Four for the back spin
You can easily maneuver the rotation of the wheels with the four fingers of your right hand using these controls. However, if you find something more comfortable and intuitive, opt for this scheme instead.
As for thrusters, here are some suggestions.
- Right arrow to move forward
- Left arrow for reverse
- Up arrow to move forward
- Down arrow for reverse
After these adjustments, you can start driving your car.
Gmod: How to turn a car without thrusters
This vehicle is more of a curiosity, as it uses the help of rubber bands to move around. If you want a car that you can control manually, it's best to stick with the one mentioned above.
- Appears in three metal bars, two of them shorter than the other.
- Activate the motor tool and set the forward number to four and the reverse number to six.
- Have the torque around 800, the friction at one, and the force limit and time zero.
- Make sure you are not using NoCollide and Toggle.
- Weld the two shorter ones to the main bar and make them perpendicular to the main bar.
- Attach the wheels to the ends of the side bars.
- Make sure the wheels are all turning the right way.
- Activate the rubber band tool and set the constant to 420 and the damping to zero.
- Also, the relative damping must be 0,010 and width one.
- Aim for the end of a sidebar just before where the wheel is attached and click.
- Aim for the main bar near the starting point of the perpendicular lines and click.
- Do the same for the other side, only slightly shortening this elastic line.
- Unfreeze the car and watch it spin around forever.
- If you want to sit on it, you can freeze it and place a chair on the frame.
This car is quite fun to watch driving itself. However, beyond being a curiosity, it has no other uses.
Gmod: How to make a spinning car
A car's thrusters can help your vehicle accelerate, but you can also place two more on the side of the vehicle to influence its direction. This is how it works:
- Create a car by following the steps above, but instead of placing two thrusters in the back, place four on each side.
- Link the thrusters with the appropriate keys and give them the appropriate settings.
- Once done, you can start driving your car.
You can bind thrusters to WASD keys. This allows you to drive the car in all four directions, which the first car in this article cannot do.
Gmod: How to make a car with Wiremod
Wiremod is a Gmod addon that allows you to wire all types of electronics together in Gmod. You can use it to improve the basic design of the car, for example by adding spinning wheels. With Wiremod, creating complicated gear becomes possible.
- Make a car chassis and preferably add a chair.
- Generate an advanced pod controller and attach it to the car.
- Right-click the controller, then right-click the chair again to link them.
- Generate a subtraction gate arithmetic and attach it to the frame.
- Attach a few wheels to the vehicle frame.
- Adjust the wheels and rotate them in the same direction.
- Bring the wire tool.
- Wire A from the Subtraction Gate to the Advanced Pod Controller.
- Left click on the controller and select the output as W.
- Also connect Cable B to the Advanced Pod Controller.
- Repeat step nine but create output S.
- Wire the wheels to the subtraction gate.
- Add a thruster to each side of the front of the vehicle.
- Connect the thrusters to the advanced pod controller and link the D and A keys to the right and left sides respectively.
- Once done, you can drive the car in all four directions.
let's go for a ride
Cars are just one of the easiest machines you can build in Gmod, as the game has unlimited potential. Addons like Wiremod exponentially increase the complexity of your creations.
Have you ever made a car in Gmod? Which addons do you prefer? Let us know in the comments section below.