Notion is a great productivity app that can be used by anyone who wants a little more organization. The app is handy for students, business workers, or anyone who needs visual structure in their daily lives.
Among the various features that come with Notion, there is an option for users to create their own galleries. It allows users to approach Notion as a sort of visual library. By doing so, you can keep all of your information in an image-based format, which may be easier for some users.
Notion Galleries allow users to design image-centric information that they can present aesthetically. Notion users around the world use the gallery database for many reasons, including creating mood boards, recipe boxes, visual business portfolios, and more.
Sometimes, however, these visual idea boards can spiral out of control. In this article, we'll see how to reduce the size of your gallery in Notion.
Read on to find out more.
How to make a gallery smaller in concept
The first thing you'll notice about using Notion is that it lets you create and organize pages in different ways. Creative freedom reigns supreme for users who want to organize every detail of their work or daily life in a clear and consistent way.
Your gallery displays all your added items as cards with images on them. When a map is selected, it takes the user to the Notion page for that specific map. To create a gallery in Notion, here's what you need to do:
- On Notion, open the page you want to use for your gallery.
- In the text box, type “/Gallery”.
- Choose either "Inline" or "Full Page", depending on whether you want the Gallery to have its own page or be part of an existing page.
- If all goes well, your Gallery Block should appear.
It is also important to note that Notion is available on all platforms and devices. However, editing may be slightly easier to do on a PC than on a smartphone or tablet.
Essentially, how your gallery looks depends on your personal preferences. Some users may prefer a smaller gallery to make their work visually pleasing and easier to access. To reduce the size of the cards in your gallery, you need to access the customization tools. Size your gallery according to your tastes with these steps:
- In the top right corner of your Gallery page, you will see an ellipsis icon (…). Click on it to display your menu options.
- Select “Properties”.
- The Properties menu will then present you with a list of settings you can adjust or change, including options for "Map Preview", "Adjust Image", and "Map Size", among others.
One way to minimize your gallery is to select the "Map preview" option. From there, you will be presented with three action plans:
- None – This option is for if you want no images to display in your gallery view.
- Page Cover – This option displays only the Page Cover as the main image in Gallery View.
- Page Content – This feature selects the first image in the body of your map for viewing.
In short, the “Card Preview” option allows users to get an idea of how their layout will look while providing the option for a more minimalistic approach.
Another way to reduce the size of your gallery is to go back to "Properties" and select the "Map size" option. If you are looking for a simple and elegant look, then this may be the way for you. To use this feature and successfully resize your image maps, here's what you need to do:
- Select "Map Size" from the Properties menu.
- You will then have three options: “Small”, “Medium” or “Large”.
- The default setting for your notion gallery is “Medium”. To make your gallery appear smaller, choose the "Small" option to reduce the size from the default setting.
Once you have chosen to reduce the size of your map, the next step is to resize the image in the maps to fit the visualization map. To do so, follow these steps:
- Head to the Properties menu and select "Adjust Image", located directly under "Map Size".
- Next to 'Adjust Image', you'll need to click the toggle to enable the ability to move your image around in the map.
- When the toggle is blue, it means the feature is enabled.
- You can then click and drag the image until you are happy with the result.
To give your gallery an even more minimalist appeal, you might consider disabling view tags on your gallery cards. Doing so frees up more space in your overall Gallery viewing experience and makes the page look leaner.
Disabling the display of tags is as easy as toggling a few buttons. To get started, return to your Properties menu. Under where it says "Adjust Image," you'll see a bunch of options with toggles next to them. These include "Name", "Creator", "Date Created", and "Tags".
By default, each of these properties is displayed below your image maps. To disable this feature so you only see the image, turn off all the toggles. If the toggles are no longer blue, it means you've successfully done it.
less is more
The choice to present work in an image-based format is becoming increasingly popular. Many marketing companies and businesses choose to ditch text for images to reach their audience in a different way. And it's not just companies that are getting into this image-centric trend.
The Notion app's Galleries feature is a great tool for displaying information in the form of images. Many people use this feature to create mood boards, business idea boards, image-based tutorials, and more.
The great thing about Notion is that it's all about creating a system that best suits the needs of the individual. By refining your gallery size, you'll be able to design a system that not only looks good, but also perhaps easier to navigate.
Do you use Notion? Have you tried organizing your gallery by minimizing it? We would love to hear about your experiences. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.