It may have taken Facebook a little while to join the GIF party. Even now, the company makes it quite difficult to use and download your favorite GIFs. Facebook added a GIF option in 2022 and is still available for some versions of the social media site. For others, there are plenty of options to create and upload your own custom or popular GIFs directly to Facebook.
These short clips of images repeat over and over and are often used to enhance a point you're trying to make. When communication gets lost in text, a GIF (Graphic Interchange Format) helps you relay your mood in written communications.
In this article, we'll explain the Facebook GIF relationship and give you all the information you need to be a GIF pro.
How to Make a GIF on Facebook
At one time, Facebook had its own GIF maker. Depending on the version of Facebook you are currently using, you can follow the first option or use another app to create your GIFs.
If that doesn't work for you, or you want more customization options, use Giphy. This well-known GIF maker allows you to create unique and interesting GIFs to share with all your friends on the social media platform.
On the website, you can choose to upload your own video or use one of the trending videos to create the GIF you need.
When you're done, click the Facebook icon to share your GIF on Facebook.
Luckily for those who really want to get creative, Facebook has introduced a Boomerang feature. This short video clip will play continuously, loop over and over. To this video, you can add GIFs, stickers, text and even emojis to fully customize it almost however you want.
- From your News Feed, tap the photo to access the camera icon in the upper right corner. Toggle the switch from photo à Boomerang.
2. Tap the Sticker icon at the top, then tap GIF to add your GIF to your video. You can also swipe left to access more filters or add text and effects.
3. Choose the GIF you want to add to your video and use your finger to long press on the image and drag it to where you want it to appear in your recording. Once you have perfected your Boomerang video tap Next and follow the on-screen instructions to publish it.
How to Add a GIF Facebook Profile Picture
Once you've created a GIF, you can make it your profile picture. You can also turn any online GIF into a profile picture.
- To turn a static profile photo into a moving photo, go to your profile and click Edit in the lower right corner of your existing profile picture.
- From there you can either take a New profile video, to record a new clip or select Profile Video. The latter will open your camera roll and your list of videos will appear.
- Select your video, trim it if necessary and select save.
Facebook's foray into the world of GIFs is likely due to the success of GIFs on Facebook-owned WhatsApp. WhatsApp has added the ability to send GIFs saved to your phone or via the built-in GIF search engine to individual friends and groups of people.
The feature lets you edit GIFs on your phone with captions, stickers, and drawings, time clip durations, and convert your six-second videos to GIFs on the fly. Live Photos — iPhone photos that capture a few seconds of video before the image is taken — can also be sent as GIFs.
How to Add a GIF to a Post
Whether you just created a GIF or already have one in mind, you can add these original images to your Facebook status.
- Press the What's on your mind, box as you normally would and scroll to GIF.
2. Use the Search function to find specific content or scroll through available options. Once you've chosen your GIF, tap it.
3. Type your status and post. If you created a custom GIF, you'll need to take a different approach. Create your GIF, copy it, then paste it into your message. Facebook's algorithm will automatically detect the GIF and download it in the correct format.
How to Add a GIF to a Comment
GIFs make comments more fun. Whether you're trolling someone into a heated debate or sending a happy birthday wish, they just make the comments better. To add a GIF to a comment, just tap the "GIF" icon, search or scroll until you find the one you like, and tap it. Post your comment.
How to Send a GIF in Messenger
Sending a GIF in Messenger is like posting one in a comment.
- Press the GIF and find the GIF you want to share. Once you find it, tap on it and it will be sent automatically.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I create a GIF on Facebook?
At one time, there was an option using Facebook's built-in camera feature to design your GIFs with the Facebook app. Unfortunately, the company has phased out this option after recent updates.
Prior to these updates, you could tap the camera icon and then scroll down to the option for a GIF. From there, you can create a GIF and post it as a status. If you're somehow still using an older version of Facebook, you should see the option in the app.
I made a GIF but Facebook won't allow me to upload it, why?
You will often have difficulty downloading GIFs created on third-party software. For example, GIPHY is generally well accepted, but others are not. If you created the perfect GIF and it won't download, it's probably because of the creator software you used.
When possible, try to use GIPHY instead of other apps when your intention is to upload the file to Facebook. Of course, sometimes an outdated app can lead to issues as well as a glitch. It's a good idea to wait a bit or update your app if you're having trouble downloading a GIF.