Creating collages is a fun and practical way to give your memories more substance than a single photo ever can. However, it can be a bit of a chore to do this in traditional photo editing software. The next time you want to make a collage, make it easy for yourself by creating it right on your iPad.
There are plenty of great apps out there that can help you turn your iPad into a collage beast. In this article, we'll take a look at some of the most popular options for creating a photo collage on an iPad.
Make a photo collage with Google Photos
As most people know, Google offers a wide variety of apps. What interests us right now is Google Photos. With it, we can easily create photo collage on iPad.
- Open the Google Photos app and sign in if you haven't already.
- Now press Library > Utilities.
- Then press Collage, it is under Create a new.
- Select the photos you want to add to it.
- When you are finished, press Create.
Make a collage with PicCollage
It is a very easy to use application with an intuitive interface. It's free in the App Store and boasts an impressive 4,8 rating at the time of writing. It has many great features to put your creative side to work, such as stickers, maps, and a large library of grid templates. Let's start.
- Add your photos — First, you're going to want to add your photos to PicCollage. Once you have downloaded and launched the app on your device, tap the photo and select the photos you want to add. You can also add photos from your device's gallery or from Facebook and Instagram. Just tap the photos you want to include, then tap the checkmark in the top right of the screen when you're done.
- Select your grid — The grid is the template where you will organize your photos. This is an important step as different grids will result in different design aesthetics. Once you've selected your photos, take your time and scroll through the grid options. The right layout will provide structure to your composition, much like a comic strip uses grids to tell a visual story. PicCollage will generate the appropriate grids based on the photos you select.
- Or Freestyle — PicCollage also lets you start from a blank workspace instead of using pre-made grids. This is a great option to make your collage truly unique. To do this, you need to press the Freestyle option from the app's home screen. You will see a menu immediately; press the photo and select the photos you want in your collage. The photos will be randomly arranged on the workspace.
- Make it yours – Once you have selected the right grid for your collage or placed it in the Freestyle feature, the real fun begins. The app offers a very robust feature set to customize your collage. Resize your grid, change the background or add stickers to make your collage stand out. Once you are satisfied, press the Completed bottom right button. You can then save the collage to your device or upload it directly to various social media.
Make a collage with Diptic
If you don't mind using a paid app, Diptique is another great option for making collages. This is another very popular app with an extremely intuitive design. The process is very similar to the previous one, except for a different order of operations.
- In Diptic, you will start by selecting the grid of your choice from a predefined selection. Diptic offers a massive library of page layouts organized by categories.
- Once you have selected your layout, you will be prompted to select your photos. Tap anywhere in the layout to access your phone's image gallery. You can add photos one by one or select Multi at the top of the screen to add more than one at a time.
- Once you've selected your photos, you can customize the layout and move on to embellishments. Diptic offers more features than PicCollage, such as aspect ratio adjustment and image editing.
Most of the basic functions such as adding text and formatting borders are also available in Diptic. If you're looking for a little more functionality, Diptic offers excellent value for money at $2,99 on the App Store.
Go out and make some collages
As you can see, you don't need a fine art degree to make a great collage. There are plenty of apps that will help you instantly and easily compose beautiful collages that have all the hallmarks of professional design. The featured apps offer a variety of intuitive features that will satisfy most users. PicCollage is a no-frills free option and a very simple approach. If you need a little more flexibility and don't mind paying for it, you might not need to look further than Diptic.
There are many other good apps besides PicCollage and Diptic if these don't meet your needs. Explore your options and let us know which is right for you.