Discord lets you decorate your posts with emojis, gifs, and images, but some people are confused about how they can use Markdown's formatting features to achieve more unique effects. Using keyboard commands on your computer or mobile device can change how viewers and readers see the content you post.
This incredibly useful feature allows users to add all kinds of formatting to posts, including bold, italics, code formatting, and spoiler tags.
Spoiler tags are useful for alerting others that you're about to leak information about something someone isn't ready for. Once this tag is added, another user will only see a gray or black area on the content.
Let's see how to add spoiler tags to messages in Discord.
How to Create a Spoiler Tag in Discord – Desktop
The developers at Discord heard the cries of the people and made it incredibly simple to add spoiler tags that block any content the writer chooses to type in.
There are several ways to add a spoiler tag in Discord. Take a look at the two below and use the easiest method for you.
Mark as spoiler
Thanks to Discord's latest addition, adding spoiler tags is easier than ever. Here's what to do:
- Type your message in the Discord chat box.
- Use your mouse (or double click on the text) to highlight your message.
- Click the eye icon in the small pop-up window.
- Verify that your text now has both vertical bars.
- Hit Enter on your computer keyboard to send the message with a spoiler tag.
After sending the message, everyone in the chat can see it. But, the spoiler tag will gray out the text until your friends click on it to reveal the content.
Another option for adding spoiler tags to your Discord messages is to use markdown codes. We like this option because your fingers should never leave the keyboard. Here's how to add spoiler tags to a post using markdown codes:
- Type two vertical bars before your text (the Shift + Backslash key).
- Type your text (it is not necessary to add a space between the bars and the text).
- Type two vertical bars again at the end of your text.
- Hit Enter on your keyboard to send the message with a spoiler tag.
These bars will ensure that your post is hidden in a spoiler tag, forcing others to click to reveal the information.
When you place the spoiler between two sets of double pipes, the words that are part of the spoiler phrase will only be seen by other Discord users who click on the phrase to expand it and read what it says. Those who want to keep the spoiler a secret can simply refrain from clicking on the spoiler phrase.
You can also hide attachments as spoilers. When downloading the attachment, Discord gives you the option to "Mark as spoiler". However, this only works on the desktop version of Discord.
How to Add Spoiler Tags on Discord Mobile
We are not always in front of our computer when we interact with others on Discord. Fortunately, the mobile version has many of the same features as the desktop version. However, the methods vary slightly depending on whether you're using iOS or Android, so we'll cover both in this section.
How to Add Spoiler Tags on Android
Android users will have a little more difficulty adding spoiler tags than iOS users. But, nevertheless, it is possible to hide your messages before sending them on Android devices. Here's how:
Notes: You can find the two vertical bars on any Android keyboard by tapping the number symbol in the left corner. Keep pressing this key until you find the two vertical bars. We use Gboard for reference.
- Open the Discord mobile app and tap on the chat box where you send your messages. Tap the chat box so that your phone's keyboard appears. Type the two vertical bars like we did on a desktop.
- Type the text you want to send to the chat. Then add two more vertical bars.
- Click the send icon to the right of the text box.
From now on, everyone who sees your message will have to tap it to reveal its content.
How to Add a Spoiler Tag on iOS
Apple users have two options for adding spoiler tags. You can use markdown to send a hidden message or you can use Discord's chat menu. Let's review both.
To add a spoiler tag using Discord Markdown, follow these steps:
- Tap on the chat box and open your iPhone keyboard. In the lower left corner, tap the a B C key. Then press the 123 key.
- Locate the vertical bar on your keyboard. Then enter it twice.
- Type your message, then type two more vertical bars. Finally, tap the send arrow to send your message to the chat.
While this method may be easier for some, there is an even easier way to send messages with spoiler tags in Discord. Here's how:
- Open the Discord chat and type your message (vertical bars don't need to be added).
- Highlight the text by double tapping on it (or you can long press on the text). Drag the slider to cover any parts of the message you want to hide. Then press Mark as spoiler in the context menu.
- Finally, hit the send arrow to send your spoiler to everyone in the chat.
How to Disable Spoiler Tags
Users and administrators have the power to control spoilers (to a certain extent). Whatever your preference, let's talk about what you can do to disable spoilers.
Rather than directing us to the server you want to moderate, we'll head to your user settings to access the spoiler tag menu. Here's what to do:
- Open Discord and tap the Settings cog next to your username in the bottom left corner.
- Click on Text and images in the left menu.
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page to reveal spoiler tag options.
You can select one of three options in this menu. Here's what each option does:
- On click – This hides all spoilers for you in every channel (even the ones you don't moderate).
- On the servers I moderate – This will disable spoiler tags on your servers (i.e. servers you own or moderate).
- toujours – This disables spoiler tags for your account. You will never see a spoiler tag.
As you can see, it's pretty easy to disable spoiler tags if they're annoying you. Just be careful, you may see something you are not prepared for.
Add text effects with Markdown
Now that you know how to create a spoiler tag in Discord, check out these other Markdown tags available on the Discord platform to help you format your text:
Italic: *phrase* or _phrase_
bold italic: ***expression***
Underline italics: _*expression**
Highlight the bold: _**expression**_
Underline Bold Italics: _***expression***_
Also, if you don't want to use Markdown effects but want to use symbols in your text, place a backslash at the beginning of the sentence. This way you can use asterisks and other Markdown symbols without adding effects. However, this backslash feature does not work in messages with edits or underscores.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I hide a spoiler again?
Yes. But you can't ignore what you've already seen. To hide a spoiler after clicking on it, you will need to leave the channel and return. Unfortunately, clicking on a spoiler after revealing it won't work. Click on another server or channel in one of the menus on the left, then return to the channel. Upon entering the chat, you will see that the spoiler is hidden again.
Can I disable spoiler tags for other users?
No. You can only disable spoilers for your own account. Even admins and moderators can't disable spoilers for everyone.
Do you have any other helpful Discord tips? Please share them in the comments below!