If you regularly use Microsoft Paint as your basic graphic design tool, you might want to create a transparent background.
Perhaps you want to refine your work by guiding the viewer's point of view to a certain part of an image. Or maybe you want to layer a certain image over another without any unwanted background mess.
Whatever your reason, understanding how to implement the transparency tool in MS Paint can improve the overall quality of your work.
Fortunately, the process is relatively simple.
In this article, we will give you a step-by-step guide on how to successfully enable transparency tool on MS Paint from your desktop. Moreover, we will provide you with advice on any problems you may encounter while doing so.
MS Paint transparent background: Windows 10
If you are editing a particular image using MS Paint, you may want to create a transparent background for a more enhanced overall effect. Here's how to do it with Windows 10:
- Open the image you want to use in "Paint" on your computer.
- Next, click “Select” on the left side of the bar at the top of your page.
- Select the "Transparent Selection" option from the available list.
- Once you've done that, choose "Freeform Selection" from the "Select" button.
- Trace around the area you want to keep by holding down the left mouse button and dragging.
- Right-click the rectangle that appears around the traced area and select "Cut."
- Open a new page in Paint and press Ctrl – V to paste your image.
- The image will now have a transparent background.
There is also another way to create a transparent background on your image using MS Paint. This method is as follows:
- On the right side of MS Paint, you will notice a tab called "Layers". Click on it.
- Select "Duplicate Layer".
- When you have selected the original image, choose the “Magic Wand” tool located on the left panel.
- Using the "Magic Wand", select the area of the image that you want to make transparent.
- When finished, press the “Delete” button on your keyboard and save your work by pressing “File” then “Save As”.
MS Paint Transparent Background: Windows 7
Windows 7 is another popular operating system created by Microsoft. He is often praised for his speed, intuition and easy overall navigation system. This version of Windows, of course, also comes with its version of MS Paint.
To create a transparent background using Windows 7, just follow these steps:
- Open the image you want to edit in MS Paint.
- From the toolbar at the top of your page, select "Color 2". From there, you will need to choose the background color for your image.
- Next, click on the “Eyedropper” tool in the toolbar, then click on the background of the image. This will set your background to the color you chose in "Color 2".
- You will then need to click "Select" and then "Transparent Selection" from the drop-down menu.
- Select either "Rectangular Selection" or "Freeform Selection", then trace around the part of the image you want to get rid of while holding down your left mouse button.
- Right-click and select "Cut" to skip the part of your image you want to cut out. Then select "Copy" on the part of the image you want to save.
- Open a new window in Paint and "Paste" your copied image.
- It will now appear with a transparent background.
MS Paint transparent background not working
If you have followed all the steps to create a transparent background but for some reason the feature still does not work. For example, you might find that some parts of the area you selected do not become transparent.
Most often, the problem is caused by missing one of the steps when using the "Transparent Selection" tool. For example, you may have forgotten to check this box before clicking "Rectangular Selection" or "Freeform Selection".
Fear not, because we have an easy way to fix this problem. Just follow these steps, making sure you don't miss anything:
- Open the image you want to edit in MS Paint, then right-click on the image and select "Open With".
- From the toolbar, choose "Color 2" and select a background color for your image.
- Next, click on the “Eyedropper” tool in the toolbar.
- Select the image background. You will now be able to separate your image from the background.
- Go to the "Select" menu on the toolbar and click "Transparent Selection" from the available options. Make sure the box next to this feature is checked.
- At this point, you can choose "Rectangular Selection" or "Freeform Selection".
- Now choose the part of the image you want to separate by clicking your left mouse button.
- Right-click the image and choose "Cut" or "Copy."
- Open a new Paint file and right-click to "Paste" the chosen image.
- The background should now be transparent.
If you have followed these steps and are still having trouble creating a transparent background, you may want to implement image conversion software. An example of such a system is Microsoft's Image Converter which can help you fine-tune any issues you may be having with transparency on MS Paint.
MS Paint Text: Transparent Background
A transparent text background is often used on MS Paint to enhance a design effect. The feature can add depth to your project and is a handy knowledge to have.
Here's how to do it:
- In your toolbar on the left side of your window, select the text icon (it has a capital A).
- After selecting this icon, you will notice a bunch of new icons on your page. Select the "Transparent background" icon.
- Then use your mouse to draw a text box where you want your writing to appear. Take your time with this because once this is set you won't be able to resize it without starting from scratch.
- Choose the font, size, and color you want to use from the toolbar, then type your text.
- Once you're happy, click outside the text box to set your changes.
- You will then notice that the text background is now transparent.
How to select a background in MS Paint?
If you want to select a different background for your project, just follow these steps:
1. Open MS Paint, then open the image you want to edit.
2. From the toolbar on the left side, select "Color 2".
3. Next, click on the “Eyedropper” tool.
4. Once done, left click on your image background and select the color you want to use.
How to add an image for a background to MS Paint?
If you want to insert a separate image as a background, you need to do the following:
1. Head to Paint and select "Open" from the top bar.
2. Then choose "stickers" from the drop-down menu.
3. Navigate to the folder icon located in the sidebar and click "Add Stickers".
4. Find the image you want to use.
5. Select "Open" to paste the image onto the canvas.
Be more transparent
Adding a transparent background to an image in MS Paint can help improve the overall design of your project. Knowing how to use this tool can be a crucial part of your graphics editing journey, especially if you are a beginner.
Many people who are just starting out in a graphic design career may choose to use MS Paint to familiarize themselves with the editing process before moving on to more advanced software.
Do you use MS Paint for your projects? Did you find it easy to create a transparent background? Let us know your experiences in the comments section below.