GMOD (short for Garry's Mod) is a modification of Half-Life 2 where you can create videos, images and manipulate various objects in the game. When running your GMOD server, you must decide who will be in charge of the role of administrator. But how exactly do you make someone an admin in this game?
In this entry, we will explain how you can assign the admin role to other players in GMOD. With this knowledge, you will be able to grant other users previously unreachable privileges.
How to make someone an admin with GMOD ULX
ULX is an admin mod that gives you more control over the players on your GMOD server. It offers server administrators AMXX-style support, allowing multiple administrators to access the same server at different levels.
There are three methods to make someone an administrator with GMOD ULX. Each asks you to enter a command.
The first command you can enter is “ulx adduser 'user>superadmin'. This command will need to be run from your server console. You will also need to make sure you have a stable connection to the server. Also, if you are not the owner, i.e. you rent the server to third parties, you will need to use a different method.
The second method does not require a connection to your server. Here's what it looks like:
- Start the game.
- Launch the console by pressing the appropriate button. This is usually the tilde symbol (“~”) on your keyboard.
- Enter the following command: “ulx adduserid superadmin”.
As you can see, you will need to know your Steam ID to apply this method. You must also use an appropriate format, such as STEAM_0:1:654321. If you can't remember your Steam ID, follow these steps to reveal it:
- Open Steam and press the "View" button in the upper left part of the screen.
- Select "Settings", followed by "Interface".
- Check the box "Show web address bar when available".
- Click the "OK" button to save the settings.
- Select your username and the platform should reveal your ID.
- Go to your username and choose "Profile".
- Tap the "Edit Profile" button on the right side of the screen.
- Remove all text from your "Custom URL" section.
- Select "Save" and your username should now be displayed in your URL.
If you've already created a custom URL, you'll need to take a few extra steps to access your login:
The first two techniques are the easiest ways to make someone an administrator with ULX. However, there is a third, more complicated method that requires you to edit the GMOD file. Here is what it consists of:
- Stop the server.
- Navigate to the users.txt file. It should be located in the settings subfolder of your main GMOD folder.
- In the file, locate the "superadmin" section.
- Replace the Steam ID and the "garry" part with the new admin's username and ID. Delete the "//" symbols in front of your name.
- Restart the server and log in.
A list of administrative commands
GMOD ULX comes with a wide range of controls that make it easier to manage players and allow you to control disruptive servers. Since there are many commands, we will only list the most common ones that administrators use on their servers and functions.
- ulx armor - set a player's armor level
- ulx blind - blind a target
- ulx cloak - cloak a target
- ulx hp - set a player's health
- ulx god - grant god mode to a target
- ulx slap - slap a player with certain damage
- ulx addgroup - create a group with optional inheritance
- ulx groupallow – allow group access
- ulx removeuser - permanently ban a user from group access
- ulx ban – ban a player for a given number of minutes
- ulx asay - Send a message to logged in administrators
- ulx mute - mute targets to prevent them from chatting
Can I become an administrator in solo mode?
Granting yourself the administrator role in solo mode is possible via ULX. The easiest way to do this is to use your web console:
1. Login to your game panel and select your server.
2. Open your command line manager to get your RCON password.
3. Return to the control panel and launch your web console.
4. Enter the RCON password in the box at the bottom of the screen.
5. Execute this command: “ulx adduserid steamID super admin”. Be sure to replace the "steamID" part with your Steam ID.
6. You should now see a message indicating that you have obtained the rank of administrator.
Can I assign an administrator to my LAN game?
Unfortunately, you cannot assign an administrator in your LAN games. An assignment can only be made on local multiplayer servers or dedicated servers.
Easy access to higher privileges
Administrators play a central role in GMOD, controlling the environment of their servers by sanctioning unwanted behavior. Assigning this role is also relatively simple – all you have to do is open the console and enter a short line. Within seconds, you'll be activating your admin privileges or those of another player to ensure a smooth experience for all users.
Do you like being the administrator of your server? Have you considered delegating this responsibility to another player? If so, which method do you prefer? Tell us in the comments section below.