Facebook is, by default, configured to make all your information public. But what if you want to keep your profile private and have more control over what other Facebook users who aren't your friends can see on your profile? Is it possible to change the default settings of your account?
Unfortunately, there's no magic switch to make your profile completely private by default. However, if you know the right settings to change, you can effectively make your profile 100% private.
If you're wondering how to make your Facebook profile private, this article will walk you through the steps.
How to make a Facebook profile private
If you want to make your Facebook profile private through a browser, here's what you need to do:
- Open the browser on your computer and go to the Facebook page.
- Sign into your account.
- Look for the arrow icon at the top right of the screen.
- Press “Settings. »
- Look at the menu on the left.
- press " Private life. » This will open the " Private life " tab on the right.
- You can now change your privacy settings for various features. For example, choose who can see your posts, who can see your friends list, etc.
- Adjust the settings according to your needs. To do this, press the blue "Edit" button next to the function.
How to make your profile picture private on Facebook
When Facebook users view your profile, the first thing they see is your profile picture. To change who can see your profile picture, here's what you need to do:
- Log into your Facebook account.
- Tap your profile picture in the top right of the screen.
- Click on the " Pictures " under your profile picture.
- Select « Albums ».
- To choose “Profile pictures. »
- Click on your profile picture.
- Tap the three-dot menu on the right side of the image.
- To choose "Edit Audience In the drop-down menu.
- Adjust the settings. You can choose if you want only certain people to see your photo, only your friends, etc.
How to make your profile private on Facebook Mobile
Many people these days usually only use Facebook on their phone. Fortunately, the process for those who wish to make their profile private is quite simple. It's basically the same for both iPhone et Android devices. Just follow the steps below:
- Start the " Facebook " application on your phone.
- Tap the three-line menu. Depending on the phone, this will be at the top right of the screen or at the bottom right.
- Scroll to “Settings and privacy”.
- Press the "Settings" tongue.
- Under " Private life, " click on " Privacy settings. »
- Press “Check a few important settings. »
- Dance “Privacy control, " Choose “Who can see what you share. »
- Tap “Carry on. »
- Scroll to "Friends and Followers" and tap the tab next to the two options. To select " Friends. » This means that only your friends on Facebook will see your friends list.
- Tap " Following. »
- Click the buttons next to "Future Messages" et "Stories" and change to " Friends. »
- Tap " Following. »
How to make your future Facebook content private from strangers
What if you wanted to hide the content of your Facebook profile from those who are not your friends? How can you do this? Simple, just follow these steps carefully:
- Log in to Facebook on your browser.
- Click on the arrow icon at the top right of the screen.
- Select “Settings and privacy”.
- To choose “Settings. »
- Click on " Private life " in the right menu.
- Under "Your activity" you will see “Who can see your future messages? »
- Press the "Edit" side button.
- Click on "Public" and select " Friends. »
Maintain your privacy on Facebook
It's not a one-click thing, but making your Facebook profile private is relatively simple. Just follow the steps in this article and you won't have any problems. Do you have advice, experience or questions regarding the privacy of your Facebook profile? Leave a comment in the section below!