Nowadays, casting or mirroring various devices to a smart TV has become relatively common. However, with the increase in the number of manufacturers comes compatibility issues that tend to crop up.
An example of this would be Amazon's Firestick, which doesn't easily sync with other devices right out of the box. This article shows you how to mirror Android, iOS, Mac, Windows and Chromebook to a Firestick and stream from these devices.
Create initial wireless settings first
Before you begin, make sure your Amazon Firestick is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the device you want to mirror. To check the network name, do the following:
- From the home page, navigate to Parameters in the top menu.
- Now scroll down and select Network.
- A list of available Wi-Fi connections will be displayed. The one marked as connected should be the same as the device you are trying to mirror to Firestick. If not, connect your Firestick or other gadget to the same network.
Once you have completed the above steps, follow the instructions below depending on the device you want to mirror Chrome from.
How to Mirror Android to an Amazon Firestick
Using an Android device to mirror or cast to a Firestick is a relatively simple process, especially now that Amazon has loosened its restrictions on Chromecast for its products. To do so, follow these steps:
- On your Fire TV remote, hold the Home until the menu appears, then select Parameters.
- Now, within the Parameters menu that opens, select Display and sounds.
- Then choose Enable display mirroring.
- A screen appears showing the status of the wireless mirror and the device receiving the mirror display. Leave your Fire TV on this screen to allow your device to connect to it. Remember the name of the Fire TV Stick.
- Then on your Android phone, swipe down from top to view the Jeter icon. If you don't see the icon, switch to your phone screen Parameters option and search Wireless and Bluetooth connections ou Wireless projection. It should be located there, most devices have it enabled by default in the drop-down menu.
- A Searching for devices… message will appear.
- Find the name of your Fire TV and tap it.
- Your Fire TV should mirror your phone screen after a few seconds. If you want to cast videos from your Android to Fire TV, tapping Cast should do that automatically.
How to Mirror Windows 10 to an Amazon Firestick
Windows 10, the latest version of the Windows operating system, has Miracast enabled by default. This is important because it is what will connect you to Fire TV. The steps are quite similar to casting using an Android when it comes to Fire TV settings, with a few differences from connecting to a PC.
- Go to Show mirroring screen as shown above on your Firestick, remember the name of your Fire TV.
- Then click on the Notifications in Windows 10, it's the rightmost icon on your Taskbar.
- Then click Develop.
- Now click on Project then choose your preferred projection type, you can change it anytime according to your needs.
- Click on Connect to a wireless display.
- Next, click on the name of your Fire TV to start mirroring. If you can't find the name of your TV, click Find other device types and look for it there. If you still can't find your Fire TV, check if you're connected to the same network.
- You should start mirroring your PC screen now.
How to Mirror iPhone to Amazon Firestick
Using the Firestick on iOS devices like the iPhone isn't as easy as using an Android, but it can still be done with a few extra steps. The Firestick and iOS won't connect out of the box like Android can. For that, proceed as following :
- On your Fire TV, go to Search icon, it's the option in the leftmost area of the menu.
- Then search for “Air Filter.«
- Installer Air filter, this is a free application that will allow your iPhone to connect to your Firestick TV. If you want to know more about the app before installing it, go to the Airscreen Web Page.
- Once installed, open Air filter, if you are using the application for the first time, it displays a small pop-up tutorial. Click on the How to use button if you want to see the tutorial, if not, select Start now.
- In the menu, access the settings by clicking on the gear icon, make sure that the AirPlay the option is enabled.
- Return to the first menu, then navigate to Start, then click the Boot icon.
- On your iPhone, swipe down to open the main settings icons and tap Screen mirror.
- Find the name of your Fire TV, then tap it.
- Your device should now be mirrored to your Fire TV.
How to Mirror a Mac to an Amazon Firestick
Unsurprisingly, iPhone and Mac share similar steps when connecting to a Fire TV device. AirScreen is still the primary app needed to stream to the Firestick. Follow the steps below to achieve this:
- If you haven't done so yet, download and install Airscreen as instructed in the steps above.
- Check the Airplay options in your Fire TV settings.
- Go to Help menu.
- Choose the MacOS icon and click on it.
- Then select AirPlay.
- Click on your AirPlay on your Mac Dock. If the icon is not there, you can activate it by opening the Apple menu, clicking on Displays and Signage, then choosing the Arrangement tongue. Make sure both Mirror screens et Show mirroring checkbox options on the menu bar when available are checked.
- Choose the name of your Fire TV from the AirPlay menu on your Mac.
- press Okay on your Fire Remote.
- Your screen should now be mirrored.
How to Mirror a Chromebook to an Amazon Firestick
Streaming anything using a Chromebook is very different from using other devices, whether Android, iOS, Mac, or PC. This is because the Chromebook is locked to Chrome OS.
The Chromebook was designed to work without any additional apps or at least none that aren't endorsed by Google. This means that streaming to a Chromebook can only be done using a default HDMI cable. There are ways around this, but it's not guaranteed to work.
A workaround would be to activate the Chromebook's Google Play Store. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click the Quick Settings panel at the bottom right of your Chromebook screen.
- Click the gear icon to open Parameters.
- Now open the Google Play Store.
From there, you can search for casting apps to connect to your Firestick. Some of the most popular apps are AllCast, Cast TV, and Cast Videos. Download and install them on your Chromebook and follow the instructions according to each application.
As said, these are not surefire ways to cast. Since different manufacturers have different device settings, your particular Chromebook model may or may not support casting.
Waiting for integration
Until all streaming devices follow a single protocol, it will always be difficult to get them to work with each other. Although Amazon Firestick now allows Chromecast on its products, it's still not fully integrated and requires a few extra steps to get them to mirror properly. For now, the only thing we can do is wait for the various manufacturers to agree on a standard.
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding using the Amazon Firestick to stream to your particular device:
Why is my mirrored stream to Firestick choppy?
Due to previous disagreements between Google and Amazon, the Chromecast and Firestick were designed to work on different streaming protocols. This means compatibility issues between Chrome and the Firestick are to be expected. If you're experiencing choppy streaming, it might just be because of this incompatibility.
You may also experience lag due to slow internet speeds or lack of bandwidth. Check if other devices are using your internet connection. It could be an ISP problem and you're not the only one experiencing slow connection speeds.
My Fire TV Stick isn't showing up, what's going on?
If you can't see your Fire TV on your other device's streaming choices, or vice versa, the two devices might not be sharing the same network. Your Fire TV and the device you want to stream from must have the same Wi-Fi name. Check the Wi-Fi settings of your Firestick and your gadget to make sure they are on the same home network.
What software is useful to help with device mirroring?
As mentioned above, Miracast is enabled by default on PC and Android. This streaming protocol is usually the only thing you need to be able to stream using these two devices. If you can't get them to work, the Google apps listed above, namely AllCast, Cast TV, and Cast Videos, may work for you.
For Apple iOS and macOS, the AirScreen app available from the Fire TV menu does mirroring quite well on its own.
Mirroring to a Fire TV Stick
Depending on your device, mirroring your screen to an Amazon Firestick will vary slightly, but ease of use is almost guaranteed.
Did you successfully mirror your screen? Are you having any issues performing the relevant steps? Let us know below.