No one likes being bullied on social media. This is where it helps to learn how to mute people on social media, rather than blocking them. You can weed out unwanted content without telling the offending user that they annoyed you.
The problem is, muting someone isn't always as simple as simply blocking them. Each social media network also has its own set of rules and methods for muting or blocking someone online, so it's all about learning what works best and where.
Here's how to mute someone on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
How to Mute Someone on Instagram
Instagram has introduced a mute button to quiet profiles, posts, and stories. While not everyone has access to this feed-based mute option yet — Instagram is still rolling it out to iOS and Android — it's coming to all users soon, so you can learn how to use it too. .
How to turn off Instagram posts
- On each post, you will see the ellipsis button (…), tap it.
- You are now presented with various options including Report, Embed, and Mute.
- Press Mute.
- Select either Ignore posts or “Ignore posts and story”. This option is also available through user profiles, again by pressing the ellipsis button.
How to Disable Instagram Stories
- To turn off Instagram user-generated stories, long-press the person's profile picture.
- This opens up the ability to mute the user and all those stories you never wanted to see in the first place.
Stories from other users will appear at the end of your feed where you can choose to watch them or unmute them if you wish. Keep in mind that users can see who views their Instagram stories. If someone notices that you haven't watched their content in a while, they may ask you about it.
How to mute someone on Facebook
Is your Facebook news feed full of oversharers, game invites, and angry rants? Luckily, there are several ways to silence these nuisances, and it's really quite easy to get started.
- Visit a profile or page and click Follow (on the Facebook website) or tap More (in the Facebook app).
- Select "Unfollow".
- You can also unfollow users in your News Feed by clicking on a post's three-dot menu and choosing "Hide Post." “Repeat for 30 days” or “Unfollow”.
You can also unfollow someone or snooze them for 30 days directly from your timeline. Because it can be difficult to remember everyone who annoys you, this option makes it easier to mute people as you scroll through your News Feed.
Simply tap the three-dot menu icon on their post and select one of the many options available. Select the option to confirm and the post along with the original poster will disappear from your timeline.
How to mass unfollow people and pages from your feed
To bulk manage your feed; locate the down arrow on the blue banner or tap the three line menu on mobile.
- On mobile, scroll down to Settings and privacy, then select Settings.
- On web and mobile, select 'News Feed Preferences'.
- Now select “Unfollow people to hide their posts”.
- Scroll down and tap the people and accounts you want to remove from your News Feed.
How to block photo albums from your feed
You can also block albums from entering your feed, whether they're baby photos, vacation snaps, or wedding season selfies.
- Click on the three-dot menu of the offending photo album
- Choose "Unfollow album"
- Here is
How to tell if you've been blocked on Facebook
If you think someone has blocked you on Facebook, there are three ways to find out for sure.
- Run a search for the user while logged in – if they don't appear in the search results, log out and search again. If they magically appear, it means you have been blocked.
- Look for a user comment or message. Anyone who has blocked you, or made their profile unreachable, will appear in bold black and you won't be able to click on their name.
- Remember that Facebook allows users to block people on Messenger and Facebook separately, so shoot a message. If a pop-up warns you that you can't reply or the user is unavailable, chances are you've also been blocked from Facebook's messaging platform.
How to Mute Someone on Facebook Messenger
As with its social network, Facebook makes it just as easy to silence annoying people on Messenger.
Disable Messenger conversations on desktop
- Open a message from your chatty friend
- Click the cog icon
- Choose whether you want to "Ignore Messages" or "Mute Conversation"
Disable Messenger conversations on mobile
- Press the "i" information button in a conversation
- Click "Ignore messages", which moves all messages to the message request inbox. You can also click Notifications | Mute talk
- Finally, determine how long your contact is muted – from 15 minutes to forever.
How to Mute Someone on Twitter
There are two methods to eradicate annoying Twitter users from your timeline. One method is to visit their profile and block them wholesale, the other is accessible from any of their tweets and lets you delete certain types of content instead – perfect for blocking annoying branded posts .
How to deactivate accounts on Twitter
- Visit the user's profile page and click on the three-dot menu button next to their name.
- This reveals options, including Mute.
- Click Mute and confirm the action.
How to mute a tweet
- On an individual tweet, click the arrow at the top right of the tweet
- This allows you to select "Mute @username" and another option: "I don't like this Tweet"
- Selecting this option acts like a dislike button, telling Twitter's algorithms to block similar posts in the future
How to See Muted Twitter Accounts
- To see all the accounts you've silenced, go to "Settings & Privacy" and click "Privacy & Security"
- Scroll down to the Security section and select "Ignored Accounts"
- Here you can also reactivate people via their profile
How to disable certain words, phrases and hashtags
If you want to ban certain words from your timeline, visit "Settings & Privacy" — or, on mobile, go to your Notifications tab and tap the gear icon — and click "Mute Words." Now add the words you never want to see again.
How to Mute Someone on WhatsApp
Tired of WhatsApp group chats and private messages ringing at all hours of the day? There is a way to silence them, you can thank us later.
- To silence them, scroll to any message or group chat, then long press on the message.
- Once selected, you will see a blocked speaker at the top of the screen. Click on the speaker.
- You now have the option to turn off notifications for eight hours, a week, or a year.
- Make your choice, then press OK
You can also mute notifications from a message, just click on the three-dot menu at the top of the screen and select "Silence Notifications." »
How to Mute Someone on Snapchat
Snapchat's version of mute is called "Do Not Disturb," which blocks notifications from any user or chat group you choose to mute.
How to Mute Snapchat Timeline
- Go to your feed, then long-press your friend's Bitmoji or profile picture
- When the pop-up window appears, click on Settings
- Then click Do Not Disturb. The option will change to "Enable Notifications" to signify success.
How to Mute a Snapchat Message
- Click on your friend's messages and press the three-line menu button
- Now toggle the Do Not Disturb switch to On
How to Disable Snapchat Stories from Your Feed
- Click on your friend's messages and press the three-line menu button
- Select Silent Story
How to block specific users from seeing your Snapchat stories
- Click the gear icon on your profile page and scroll down to the section called "Who can"
- Then click on “View my story”
- Choose Custom and decide who can see your Snapchat stories
how to block someone on youtube
The YouTube community has a bad reputation. Luckily, the Enable/Disable YouTube Comments Extension for Chrome protects you from the inane and often offensive babble that defines the comments section of almost every video.
This popular add-on automatically hides all comments on YouTube videos, replacing them with the Show Comments option. Best of all, it doesn't follow you around and blends seamlessly into the YouTube design.
How to Mute People on Quora
Quora – the Internet's Q&A section – is a source of knowledge. But if you're tired of hearing know-it-all users, it's easy to mute them.
- Click on the person's name next to their photo
- Once on their profile, by pressing the ellipsis button (…) you can choose to mute, block or report this user
- Select the appropriate option and voila
You can also remove stories from your thread by clicking the "X" in the right corner of the Q&A box. This hides the story and provides more control over what you see, allowing you to unfollow who asks and who answers, while showing fewer related links.
Frequently Asked Questions
We've covered a lot of information in this article, but you may still have questions. In this section you will find more information on how to make social media more enjoyable.
How will I know if someone is unfollowing me?
Instagram users have it easy, your profile page will show who is actively following you, so if the person of interest isn't on this list, you know you haven't been followed. However, you will not know that you have been muted.
Facebook makes things a little more difficult. Click to open your Facebook profile, then click "Followers". This option will only appear if your account is Public. Scroll through the list of those who follow you and compare it to the list of your friends.
Will anyone know it was muted?
All of these sites have some sort of mute option, but none of them let the user know they've been muted, and for good reason. Certain behaviors in the app can make someone think they've been muted (for example, you no longer comment or react to their posts), but there's really no way to confirm without ask you.