You came across some canned food in DayZ and wanted to get its energy. Although you tried to figure out how to open the box, it turned out to be more difficult than expected.
There are several ways to go about it, but it depends on the type of box and the instrument you use to open it. If you're feeling a little malnourished and need the energy locked away in those little cans, you've come to the right place.
Read on to learn more about the multiple ways to open cans in DayZ on Xbox One, PS4, and PC.
How to Open Cans in DayZ
Both new and old player issues are noticeable when it comes to finding food. After all, Chernarus is remarkable for both its size and its starvation. To avoid starvation, the first thing to know about your diet is to differentiate cans into two categories: those that come with rings and those that don't.
If the box has a pull ring, you open it with your bare hands. See these steps to open a ringed box:
- Open your inventory.
- Select the box to put it in your hands.
- Press the left mouse button on PC, RT (Right Trigger) on Xbox and R2 on PS4. The box will open once the animation is complete.
Although it may seem necessary, it is not necessary to hold the button down. Here are some of the cans that you can open without any tools.
- Canned pork
- Canned tuna
- Canned lunches
- Canned food for dogs and cats
Draw-free tab boxes
For cans that don't have rings, you can use a can opener. The following boxes require a tool to open:
- Canned Sardines
- Canned baked beans
- Canned peaches
- Canned spaghetti
- canned bacon
Although you can't fix them once they break, the advantage of using a working can opener is that you won't spill any of the canned food. To use one, see these instructions for opening boxes:
- Open the inventory.
- Take the canned food to place it on the ground.
- Hold a can opener in your hands.
- Press the action button. It's LMB on PC, R2 on PS4 and RT on Xbox.
- It is necessary to hold down the action button until the animation is complete.
- Press the action button to pick up the box.
If a recently opened can disappears from inventory, it is because the can is inside a “Protector Case”. To retrieve the bobbin, simply select your protective case. In general, don't forget to check your inventory because you may already have some food at the start of your games.
If recovery alone doesn't seem like enough, check out the following survival tips to make better use of your food and energy.
How to Move Efficiently to Find More Preserves
Since Food and Water in DayZ is all about Energy, here are some additional survival tips to improve your Food and Energy intake:
- Dry foods: Do not eat burnt or rotten foods as this will make you sick. Although dried food may seem inedible, unlike rotten and burnt food, dried food is edible.
- “Food stations”: discover the boats stranded on the coast. Sometimes they have food items, such as canned food and beverages, dry bags, hooks, raincoats, etc. Greenhouses and polytunnels can also hold canned foods, beverages and more.
- Fruits and mushrooms: You can also find pears, apples and plums under fruit trees. As for the mushrooms, they are all edible, and you can find them everywhere, especially after the rain.
Can you open cans without a can opener?
Some boxes do not require any tools to open them. As for those that need a tool to be opened, you can open them using instruments other than a can opener.
Although there is an overflow factor when you don't use a can opener, it might be worth it if you don't have a can opener. Therefore, the main advantage of can openers over other instruments is that they open cans relatively quickly without any spillage.
If you don't have a can opener, you can opt for sharp tools, such as a screwdriver, knife, axe, bayonet, etc. Regardless of the instrument, if it is sharp, the instructions for opening one may remain the same as previously mentioned.
Canned foods save the day
It's important to collect and make good use of every food you find as long as it isn't rotten or burnt. In ruthless Chernarus, food and drink are the new wine and gold. Therefore, for foods that you cannot take with you, do not drop them. Instead, eat them on the spot to turn them into energy. If you can't open the cans, hold them and look for a sharp tool to get to your meal. When it comes to surviving Chernarus, every little bit counts.
What is your favorite alternative tool to the "can opener" for opening cans? How crucial was canned food to your survival? Let us know in the comment section below.