GrubHub is one of the few online delivery services that lets you pay in cash. It's just one of the reasons it's such a versatile and attractive option. If you're worried about providing your credit card information in an online application, don't worry.
Note that not all restaurants accept cash payments. Unfortunately, we were unable to find an official list of non-participating outlets at the time of writing.
This article explains the whole ordering process on GrubHub and how you can pay with cash and other payment methods.
Set up a GrubHub account
To order on GrubHub and pay cash, you must have an account. If you already have an account, skip to the next section of the article. For those who haven't signed up for GrubHub yet, the process is very simple.
You can use the GrubHub website, or the dedicated Android or iOS apps to create an account:
- Launch the website or app and select the Sign in option.
- Choose to create your account at the bottom of the screen.
- You can enter your credentials (email, name and password) or log in via Google or Facebook.
- Choose to create your account when you enter all the necessary information.
How to pay on GrubHub with cash
Cash is one of the many payment options available on GrubHub, which is a nice feature that some food delivery services don't offer.
- Launch the GrubHub app on iOS or Android, or visit the website in a browser.
- Log in to your account on the website or app.
- For the Android or iOS app, enter the appropriate address information or use Google Location. In browsers, you can use your postal code or your address. Postcode only shows local restaurants. The address lists more options, but that includes remote locations.
- Select the correct address from the pop-up list.
- When the list of restaurants appears, refine it if you wish, then select the correct restaurant. You can refine the search (distance, price, rating, etc.) using the button "sort" ou “Filter” option. You can also enter a term such as "pizza" or "subs" in the field " search bar " at the top. Pay attention to the pitches as some could be over half an hour away. Also, make sure they offer the option you need (delivery or pickup).
- After choosing a restaurant, its menu will open. Find the food you like and choose your available options.
- Once the customizations are complete, click "Add to Cart: $$$" (bottom) to add it to your basket.
- The menu reappears. Select additional menu items and customize them as well. When you're ready, tap or click " See the order " to review all items.
- To delete or edit an item, tap and hold it when using the mobile app or click it when using the website, then choose "Edit" ou " Wipe off. "
- When you have finished your order, press " Proceed to checkout " on the website or iPhone/Android mobile app.
- Enter/Confirm your " address " et " mobile number " on the website or app.
- Select “Check and place your order” on the site or "Review Order" on the iOS/Android app.
- Find the "Pay Cash" option, which should be at the bottom of your screen. Availability of the cash option is determined by the restaurant. Otherwise, choose an available payment method or cancel the order.
- Select “Place your delivery order: $$$” on mobile app or "Place your order" on the website.
If the cash payment option is available, you will see it on the screen. As mentioned earlier, it is not a guarantee that the restaurant you are ordering from will accept cash payment.
Why Most Restaurants Don't Take Cash
Even though some places still accept money through GrubHub, most of them don't. The reasoning behind this decision is quite simple. Paying in cash complicates things. The GrubHub courier should take cash from you and deliver it to the restaurant.
This adds more mileage to their commute, takes longer, and doesn't give the restaurant a guarantee that you will pay. It makes sense that most restaurants wouldn't agree to this, even though it's more convenient for the customer.
As mentioned, GrubHub is one of the few delivery services that accepts cash payments. Most competitors refuse outright (Instacart, Postmates, Uber Eats, DoorDash and many more).
Note that GrubHub also accepts many other payment options, including major credit and debit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, eGift, and Android Pay. This is a great alternative if the restaurant you're ordering from doesn't take cash.
You can always tip cash
The good news is that you can always tip your GrubHub courier in cash. In fact, these people mainly work for tips and they will appreciate whatever happens to them. Therefore, try to tip generously if you are satisfied with the service.
If you prefer, you can tip through the GrubHub app, but that doesn't make much sense if you're paying for the order in cash. Either way, everything about tipping is your personal choice, so we'll let you decide.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know which restaurants accept cash?
Unfortunately, GrubHub doesn't make it easy to see which payment methods the company accepts. The only official option is to load your cart and see what the payment methods are. But you can also check reviews. Although it's probably quicker to check the bag, you may see something that says the payment option.u003cbru003e
I don't see an option to pay cash, why not?
If the option does not appear for cash, the restaurant does not offer the option. Of course, you can always call the restaurant directly and see if they offer delivery services where you could pay cash. accept the risk and these days it's quite a risk worth taking for small businesses and Grubhub drivers.
Why can't the delivery person pay the restaurant and I reimburse them?
Apart from the fact that it puts the delivery driver at risk of having to pay for someone's order, it also forces them to carry cash which may not be safe either. Official Grubhub policy states that no driver can pay for a customer's order, and they certainly won't be refunded if they do. u003cbru003e
Cash is still king
Some people try to deny the simple fact that cash still reigns supreme. Sure, we now have Bitcoin and many other modern payment methods, but nothing can ever replace paper bills. The only thing better than silver is gold because its value is permanent.
Let's not get carried away though. Is there a reason you want to stick with cash? Do you find it more convenient? Should all online delivery services accept cash? Feel free to discuss these and other related topics in the comments section below.