Scanning a Venmo QR code is simple – just point your camera at the code and click. But what happens when someone emails or text you the code? How do you scan a code already on your phone as an image?
If you want to know the answers to these questions, you've come to the right place. In this article, we take a look at how to scan a Venmo QR image you received in a text message or email and make payment.
How to scan a Venmo QR code that has been texted as an image
When using a Venmo QR code, most occasions require you to scan a code printed on a menu or vendor card. Or, if you're with a friend or family member and need to pay them, you can scan the code directly on their phone.
But what if you have to pay someone and they're not with you? Venmo makes it simple for users by allowing them to text or email a QR code for payment. What Venmo doesn't do is provide a tool that lets you scan a QR code stored as an image. Luckily, there is a workaround, but you'll need to use a third-party app, such as Google Lens. If someone texts you a Venmo QR code, here are the steps to scan it using an iPhone:
- Make sure the Google app is installed on your phone.
- Launch the Google app.
- On the "Home" screen, tap the "Google Lens" icon. You can find this icon next to the "Search" bar, which looks like a small multicolored camera.
- In the Google Lens screen, tap the photo library icon (this icon looks like a photo with two mountains) in the upper right corner.
- Browse your photo collection to find the image of the QR code. Select this photo.
Google Lens will read the scan results. It will then provide you with a link at the bottom of the screen. If you tap on this link, you will be redirected to the payment information of the Venmo user you need to pay. You can now pay them:
- Add the amount you wish to pay.
- Provide a description of the purpose of the payment.
- Tap "Pay" at the bottom right of the screen.
- Your Venmo balance and a default backup account will appear. Choose the one from which you want to make the payment.
- Confirm the payment.
If you have an Android device, follow these instructions to scan and pay the Venmo QR code from an image received by SMS:
- Make sure the Google app is installed on your phone, then launch it.
- On the Google "Home" screen, tap the small multicolored camera icon for "Google Lens." You can find this icon next to the “Search” bar.
- In the Google Lens screen, your photo gallery will load at the bottom of the screen.
- Scroll through your photos to find the QR code image. Tap this photo.
Google Lens will scan the QR code. The link to the user's Venmo profile will appear on your screen. Tap this link to launch Venmo and open to the payment screen for that particular user. You can now make your payment:
- Enter the amount to pay.
- Describe what the payment is for.
- Tap "Pay" at the bottom of the screen.
- The option to pay from your Venmo balance or a default backup account will appear. Make your selection.
- Confirm the payment.
How to Scan a Venmo QR Code Emailed as an Image
Just as Venmo allows users to text an image of their personal QR code for payment, it also allows it to be sent as an email attachment. Once you have downloaded this attachment from your email, you can use Google Lens to scan the QR code. This then allows you to easily pay the user. If you're using an iPhone, here's how to scan the emailed QR code and then make the payment:
- Save the attachment with the Venmo QR code to your phone's photo gallery.
- Launch the Google web browser.
- On the screen that opens, tap the icon with the colored camera icon on the far right of the search bar.
- This opens Google Lens. Tap the "Gallery" icon at the top right of the screen.
- Scroll through your images to find the QR code photo you downloaded from the email. Tap the picture.
Google Lens will then read the QR code and leave a link at the bottom of your screen. Tap this link to launch your Venmo app and take you directly to the user's profile. You can then make your payment.
- Enter the amount you wish to pay.
- Give the payment a name.
- Press "Pay".
- Choose to pay from your Venmo balance or from a charged default account.
- Confirm your payment.
If you are using an Android device, here are the steps to follow:
- Open your email and save the QR code image attachment. This image should be saved to your gallery's "Downloads" folder.
- Launch the Google web browser application.
- Tap the colorful camera icon on the far right of the search bar.
- Google Lens will be launched. At the bottom of the screen, your image gallery will be displayed. Scroll through these images to find the QR code image saved from your email.
- Tap the picture.
The QR code is then read by Google Lens, which provides the code link at the bottom of the screen. Tapping this link will launch the Venmo app. The profile of the user the code belongs to will open. You can then make your payment.
- Enter the payment amount.
- Create a description of the amount you are paying.
- Press "Pay".
- Choose to pay from your Venmo balance or a charged default account before confirming payment.
QR codes are designed to be used with your mobile phone. If you want to scan a QR code from your PC, it is doable, although not many people use this method as it is somewhat tedious. You will need to download and install a third-party app, print the emailed QR code, and photograph it with your webcam. Unfortunately, Google Lens does not scan a QR code on your PC, as this specific function is designed for use with mobile phones only.
Scanning and payment complete!
Scanning and paying for a Venmo QR code texted to you or emailed to you as an image can be tricky. But, once you know the steps, it's relatively simple. By following the instructions provided here, you should soon be able to easily scan these codes and be able to make the payments that require your attention.
Have you ever scanned and paid for a Venmo QR code from an image sent via text message or email? Did you use a process similar to those provided in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.