With over a billion users, Instagram is now one of the most popular social networks in the world. It is the eighth largest online community, behind Facebook and other companies owned by Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. Removing dedicated messaging apps from this list makes Instagram the third largest social network in the world and second in North America. It's an incredibly important platform for users and brands.
Of course, there comes a time when you might want to disconnect from your social platforms, and not just temporarily. More often than ever, people are choosing to delete their social media presence in order to live a less culturally-focused life online. Whether you're trying to protect your future aspects of your job by deleting your social media, or just trying to reach for your phone a little less, deleting your social media accounts can lead to a healthier life.
Permanently deleting your Instagram account might seem like a big step, but if you're ready to break free from your account and take back some free time in your life, it's easy to accomplish. Let's see how to permanently delete your Instagram account.
How to save your account data
Before you delete your account, you may want to save a permanent record of your posts, comments, and profile information. When you delete your account, Instagram does exactly that: delete your account and everything in it. This means that all your photos, likes and comments will be permanently deleted. To save your account data, follow these steps:
- Open Instagram and tap the profile icon in the lower right corner.
- Tap the three vertical lines in the top right corner, then tap Parameters basically.
- Select Safety of your Parameters menu, then find the Download data option.
- Enter your email address and press Download request.
Within 48 hours, Instagram will email a complete profile file to the email address you provided, containing your photos, comments, profile information, and anything else you may need in the future. . Even if you think you will never need this data again, this is an important step to ensure that your data is protected should you ever wish to access it again. If you don't, you will completely lose your data and never get it back no matter how hard you try.
How do I permanently delete my Instagram account?
After saving your data, you can proceed to deleting your account. Instagram offers two options to users. The first is to permanently delete your account and everything associated with it, while the second is a temporary option.
Permanently deleting your instagram account can only be done through a browser, but I can be your mobile browser or desktop. Here's how to permanently delete your Instagram account:
- Go to the special Delete your account on your browser (make sure you are logged in.)
- Select a deletion reason from the drop-down menu.
- Click or tap the Clear button.
Deactivate your Instagram account
If you're just looking for a break from Instagram, don't be reckless. Consider deactivating your account instead of deleting it. Opting out will log you out and hide your profile. As for your followers, you might as well have deleted the account. But as far as you are concerned, you can come back at any time by simply logging back in. Follow these steps to deactivate your account:
- Go to Instagram.com from your browser (you can't do this from the app.)
- Log in, if prompted.
- Click or tap the profile icon in the upper right corner.
- Click or tap Profile then Edit profile.
- Scroll down and press Temporarily deactivate my account to the right of Submit button.
- You will be asked why you are doing this. Select an option from the drop-down menu.
- Enter your account password again.
- Click or tap " Temporarily deactivate the account. "
Note that you can only deactivate your Instagram account once a week, per Instagram policies.
How long before Instagram deletes your account?
If you follow the deletion process described above, your Instagram account will be deleted immediately. This is different from Facebook, which deactivates your account for two weeks before spooling it up for deletion, which can take up to 90 days (104 days total). You don't have the same cushion when deleting Instagram, so be sure of your decision once you decide to delete it.
If you're wondering how long it takes Instagram to remove inactive accounts or accounts reported for spamming/bottling, the answer is a little less certain. Instagram periodically deletes completely inactive accounts and accounts detected as bots through their system, although no one except Instagram knows exactly how often this happens or what the deletion settings are.
If you've been hacked and want to protect your personal information, you might find the above steps easier said than done. Unfortunately, there is no way to delete or deactivate an account without first logging in. You also can't rely on Instagram to do it for you. If you can't remember or find your password, or if it was changed by someone else, follow these steps to recover it.
- Open the app.
- Tap Get help logging in under Sign in button.
- If you have Android, choose one of the following options: 'Use username, email or telephone', Where 'Connect with Facebook. '
- If you have iOS, choose one of the following options: USERNAME ou Phone .
- Follow the prompts after your selection.
If you think you've been hacked, you may not be able to use one or all of these methods, depending on how thoroughly the hacker changed your recovery information.
- Open the app.
- Tap Get help logging in below the login fields.
- Select the option that allows you to enter your username.
- Tap Need help?
From there, you can follow the prompts to contact Instagram. They will probably ask you for information regarding the account, such as past passwords, recovery information, etc.
Is there a way to recover my account after deletion?
So officially there is no option to recover your account after permanently deleting it, but several users swear by a workaround which we will cover here just in case you are in this situation.
Basically, you need to report your account as hacked to Instagram like we did above:
- First, enter your username or email address and click on Instagram "Get help logging in" option.
- From there, select 'Connection problem
- Follow the prompts such as selecting the type of account you want to recover and click the option to 'My account has been hacked' proceed
- Then select 'learn more about your experience.'
- Fill out the forms and Instagram will send you an email within a few hours. You may need to provide verification such as images you've uploaded to this account, your username, email address, and/or verification code for this to work.
By resetting and permanently deleting your Instagram account, you can finally reclaim some personal time, get away from it all, and leave behind the pervasive slog of online culture. Of course, temporarily disabling your account is a good option if you're looking to get away for a while, but if not, delete it to protect your account and your sanity. Do you have any experience or questions regarding Instagram account deletion? Please share with us in the comment section below.