Microsoft Teams has become one of the main meeting platforms, especially after the onset of the pandemic. School and university classes and many business meetings take place on this platform.
With this vast transfer of information, recording an online meeting is convenient and gives you the opportunity to read and catch things you might have missed. This is something that would not be possible with in-person classes and meetings.
In this article, we will walk you through the steps to record a Microsoft Teams meeting on different devices.
How to Record Microsoft Teams Meeting on PC
Using a PC for Microsoft Teams may be more convenient for some people, as you can follow the meeting from a larger screen. It's also easier to type in the chat, and you don't have to hold or position your camera on anything. It is also possible to record the Microsoft Teams meeting.
However, that doesn't mean everyone in the room can start a recording. Meeting recordings must first be authorized by your IT administrator. Another thing to keep in mind is that guest users cannot record meetings. Microsoft also imposes some additional limitations.
Meeting organizers and members of the same organization can usually start and stop recording. But this does not exclude the possibility that recordings are made available to participants who do not attend the meeting. Microsoft started storing Teams recordings in OneDrive and SharePoint in early 2022, making it easier to retrieve and share your recordings.
Also, once a meeting recording has started, only one participant can perform the recording. Recording will resume even if the participant who initiated it leaves the meeting, and it will end once everyone has left. Finally, if someone stays in the session after it ends, the recording will automatically stop after four hours.
To start a recording, follow these steps:
- When you start or join a meeting, click on the three horizontal dots at the top of the window.
- Select "Start Recording".
- A notification will appear on everyone's screen that the recording has started.
Keep in mind that by starting a recording you are also starting a live transcription.
To stop recording, the steps are:
- Select "More Actions" by clicking on the three horizontal dots.
- Click "Stop Recording" to stop recording completely. You can click "Stop Transcription" to stop the transcription function, but you still need to click "Stop Recording" to finish recording.
If it's a channel meeting, the recording is processed and stored in SharePoint; any other session is saved to OneDrive.
How to Record a Microsoft Teams Meeting on an iPhone
Using a phone for a Microsoft Teams meeting is convenient because it gives you more mobility. You don't need to sit at a desk and a PC to follow the discussion. However, you still have the same options as using a PC, including recording the meeting. Follow these steps to record a Microsoft Teams meeting from an iPhone:
- To start recording, go to the meeting controls, select More options (three horizontal dots), then "Start recording".
- The start of recording will be announced to everyone in the room.
- To stop recording, go to meeting controls and choose More options (three horizontal dots) and press "Stop recording".
- The recording will be processed and stored in Microsoft Stream before being made available for playback.
How to Record Microsoft Teams Meeting on Android Device
Recording a Microsoft Teams meeting on an Android is quite simple and similar to recording on an iPhone. Follow these steps:
- Select More options (three horizontal dots), then "Start recording" in the meeting controls.
- Everyone in the room will be notified when recording begins.
- Go to the meeting controls and choose More options (three horizontal dots), then "Stop recording".
- Before being made available for playback, the recording will be processed and saved to Microsoft Stream.
How to Record a Microsoft Teams Meeting as a Guest
Since attendees don't have the option to use the built-in recorder to record a meeting, the only way to record is through a third-party app. Before doing so, check with the meeting organizer if they are allowed to record the meeting as a guest.
You can either download a recorder or use one online.
Vidmore Screen Recorder is a popular video recorder. All cloud meeting services, including Microsoft Teams, are supported. It can record your meetings in high definition without letting other participants know.
To record a meeting, the steps are:
- Download and install Vidmore Screen Recorder.
- Open the Microsoft Teams app and switch to the meeting recorder.
- Enable "DISPLAY", select "Custom" and choose the region/window.
- Select the Microsoft Teams app to set the recording region.
- Enable “System sound”.
- Click “REC” to start recording.
- Select the "Stop" button each time you want to end a Microsoft Teams meeting recording.
- A preview window will appear. If you are satisfied with the meeting recording, use the built-in media player to play it and click on the “Record” option. The clip tool can be used to edit the recording.
You can even set up a schedule to start and stop recording automatically.
If you don't want to download a program, you can use an online tool. Vidmore Free Online Screen Recorder is an online version of the already mentioned application. To use it to record a Microsoft Teams meeting, the steps are:
- Open your browser and go to the Vidmore Free Online Screen Recorder website.
- Click "Launch Free Recorder" to download the launcher.
- Select the View icon and adjust the size of the recording area.
- Enable “System sound”.
- Click “REC” to start recording.
- Select "Stop" when the meeting is over. The video will be saved to your hard drive.
How to Record a Microsoft Teams Meeting Without Notification Using OBS
Microsoft Teams can't detect screen capture programs, including OBS, which means you can record a meeting without other members getting a notification. To do this, follow these steps:
- Download and install OBS.
- Open Microsoft Teams.
- Select the window to capture and the audio source.
- Tap "Start Recording" in the Controls menu.
- Click "Stop Recording" when you want to stop recording.
You can find the recording on your hard drive.
Meetings that go with you
The most important advantage of online meetings is that you can relive the discussion or class whenever you want, but be careful who you share the meetings with. Some organizations don't want their meetings shared with a wider audience, especially if sensitive information is allowed. This also applies to lessons, with most schools and universities restricting sharing of lessons or even prohibiting recording of lessons altogether.
It is best to always check the organizer's rules to avoid any potential problems.
Do you record your Microsoft Teams meetings? What method do you use? Let us know in the comment section below.