Maybe there's a Zoom meeting you want to videotape for future reference, or a funny video clip you want to save. If so, recording your Android device screen is the way to go.
Fortunately, it's a relatively simple process. In this guide, we will see how to record your screen using the device itself and using a few apps.
How to Record Screen on Android Device
The latest Android devices (Android 10 and later) come with a built-in screen recorder. If you have an older device, you'll need to use a third-party app, which we'll talk about later.
Screen recording on your new Android device gives you the option to record your screen with or without sound. These steps show you how to:
- Open your Android device.
- The screen recording app is located in the notification panel. Swipe this panel down to reveal the “Quick Settings” menu.
- If you have never used this application before, it may not appear in this menu. To fix this, tap the "Customize" icon located in the lower left corner of the menu. (It's the pencil icon.) Locate the "Screen Recorder" icon and drag it to the top of the screen. It will now appear in the Quick Settings menu. Press the small arrow to close this screen.
- Swipe the top notification bar down twice (the first time reveals the menu, the second time opens it) to access "Quick Settings". Next, select the “Screen Recording” icon.
- Decide if you want to record with sound on and if you want the app to show where you touch the screen while recording. To activate one or both functions, slide their respective toggles to the right.
- To start recording, press “Start”.
- When you're done recording, swipe down from the top of the screen and tap the red Screen Recorder notification labeled "Tap to Stop."
Your Android device will store these recordings in your media files or in the default camera roll or gallery.
Recording using AZ Screen Recorder
If you have an Android device that does not come with a screen recorder, you can download various apps that will help you do this.
A to Z Screen Recorder is one such application. Note that it is free to download but contains in-app advertisements. You have the option to upgrade to an ad-free version for a small fee. It offers a range of other functions, including taking screenshots and starting live videos. The app is compatible with Android 5.0 and later. Here's how you use it to record your screen:
- Download AZ Screen Recorder app from Google Play Store. Once you have installed it, launch the application. Follow the on-screen instructions that allow the screen recorder to show up on other apps.
- A series of icons will appear on your screen, one red and five small white icons. Tap the white icon with the red camera pictured inside.
- Tap "Start Now". You are now recording your screen.
- When you're done recording, swipe down from the top of the screen. A small AZ Recorder menu bar will become visible. Tap the two vertical lines to pause or the square icon to stop recording.
- Your video will be saved to your gallery once you click "Stop".
Recording using XRecorder
XRecorder is another screen recording app you can try if AZ Recorder isn't for you. It offers similar functionality, but some people find the interface a bit friendlier. Download the app for free from the Google Play Store or pay a small fee to remove in-app ads. Here's how to use XRecorder to record your screen:
- Download the app from Google Play Store and install it. Once installed, launch the application.
- At the bottom of the screen, click "Video" and then "Record" to start recording your screen.
- Pulling down the "notification shade" at the top of your screen will allow you to pause or stop recording altogether.
The app also lets you choose a variety of settings, including turning the audio on or off and changing the recording orientation. You can also use XRecorder to take screenshots.
Registration using Google Play Games
As a gamer, you may want to record your screen while playing a game, which you can then upload to YouTube. Google Play Games is a free application specially designed for this purpose. Although the app can only record in 420p or 720p, it offers the option to add any video captured from your front camera. Here's how to use Google Play Games to record your Android screen:
- Download Google Play Games from Google Play Store and install it on your Android device.
- Open the app and select the game you want to play. (You can choose a pre-installed game or one you downloaded yourself.) Next, click on the game thumbnail to view details, then press the "Save" button at the top of the screen.
- You can then select the video quality before pressing "Launch" to start your game. A moving video bubble will appear. This lets you choose your settings for the video, including your microphone and recording. Move the bubble around the screen to position it where it suits you best.
- Press the red record button. A three-second timer will go off before Google Play Games starts recording your screen. Press this same button to stop recording. You can also drag the floating bubble over the "X" in the center of the screen to end the recording.
Recording the screen on your Android device is relatively simple once you have the right steps to follow. Whether you're using a built-in app on a newer Android device or downloading a third-party app, you'll soon get used to it.
The only thing you will need to worry about is which recording you are uploading to YouTube!
Did you record your Android screen using a built-in or third-party app? Did you use a method similar to those presented in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.