Your Firestick device comes with a lot of pre-installed apps that Amazon says are there to keep it running smoothly. But you may notice that some of these apps are unnecessary and take up storage space. If so, you might want to delete them and free up space for the apps you use most often.
If you're wondering how to remove Amazon apps from Firestick, we're here to help. In this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it and offer more information on managing apps on Firestick.
How to remove pre-installed apps from your Firestick
Whether you want to free up space for other apps on your Firestick or just want to get rid of apps you never use, deleting pre-installed apps can be a good idea. There are different methods you can use, so let's start with the first one:
- Make sure your Firestick is connected to your device and turned on.
- From your home screen, open Settings by tapping the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Tap "Apps", then select "Manage installed apps".
- Scroll until you find the app you want to remove.
- Open the app and tap "Uninstall".
- You will see a pop-up message asking if you are sure you want to delete the app. Tap "Uninstall" again.
After a few seconds, the app will be deleted. If your Firestick was having performance issues due to insufficient storage, deleting one or more of the pre-installed apps should improve things.
Another way to remove pre-installed apps from your Firestick is to use your remote. Here's how:
- Make sure your Firestick device is connected and turned on.
- Hold down the "Home" button on your remote.
- Tap "Apps".
- Find the app you want to remove from your device and select the Options button.
- Tap "Uninstall".
- A pop-up message will appear asking if you are sure you want to uninstall the app. Tap "Uninstall".
The third way to remove pre-installed apps from your Firestick device is to use a third-party app. Various file managers let you install, remove, and customize your Firestick apps, including preinstalled ones.
We recommend using ES File Explorer as it is one of the most popular file managers. Below are the steps for removing pre-installed apps via ES File Explorer:
- If you don't already have it, download and install ES File Explorer. You can find it on the Amazon app store.
- Once you have installed it, open the app.
- Tap "Library".
- Tap "App".
- Find and select the app you want to remove. A green checkmark will appear in the lower right corner of the app icon.
- Tap "Uninstall" in the bottom menu.
- You will be asked if you want to delete the app. Press OK. »
File managers like ES File Explorer are great if you want to remove multiple apps simultaneously. Just mark the ones you want to remove and delete them without repeating the process multiple times.
You can use all the methods mentioned above for pre-installed apps and those that you have installed yourself.
What apps can I remove from Firestick?
The Amazon Firestick device comes with many pre-installed apps. You may notice that not all apps have the "Uninstall" option. Some apps are essential for your device. They ensure that the Firestick runs smoothly without any interference and keeps all functions properly configured.
On the other hand, Firestick has several pre-installed bloatware apps. Bloatware is a term used for applications that are not important for the proper functioning and smooth performance of your device. These apps take up space on your Firestick even when you're not using them. Some examples are weather apps, different games, sports apps, etc. Since they aren't needed for your device, Amazon Firestick lets you remove them, freeing up space for other apps you find more useful.
How to Clear Cache on a Firestick
Besides uninstalling apps from your Firestick device, you can also clear cache to free up storage space and ensure smooth performance. Follow the steps below to do so:
- Check if your Firestick is properly connected to your device and turned on.
- Go to Settings by tapping the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Select "Applications", then press "Manage installed applications".
- Scroll down and select the app for which you want to clear the cache.
- Tap "Clear cache".
How to Remove All Apps from a Firestick
If you have many unnecessary apps, rather than deleting them one by one, you can opt to delete them all at once. This is a great option if you've noticed apps slowing down your device. In this case, you can perform a factory reset and start fresh.
Follow the steps below to perform a factory reset on your Firestick:
- Make sure your Firestick is connected and turned on.
- Tap the gear icon in the top right corner to access settings.
- Tap "My Fire TV".
- Tap "Factory reset".
- A pop-up screen will appear asking you to confirm that you want to reset. Tap "Reset".
Firestick will now delete all data, and it will take between five and fifteen minutes until the process is complete. Make sure you don't interrupt the process by disconnecting your device or turning it off.
Keep in mind that all logins, passwords, and customizations to your account will be deleted. Once the process is complete, you will need to log in to your Amazon account and set everything up, just like you did when you purchased your device.
Along with performing a factory reset, we recommend updating your device afterwards to ensure the best user experience. Here are the steps to update your software on Firestick:
- Turn on your device and make sure it is properly connected.
- Open Settings by tapping the gear icon in the top right corner.
- Tap "My Fire TV".
- Tap "Developer option".
- If you see the "Check for updates" option, it means you have the latest version installed. If you see the "Install updates" option, it means you are not using the latest version. Tap "Install" to get it.
- Tap "Update".
The process usually takes between 5 and 15 minutes, depending on your internet connection. When done, the device will reboot and you will be taken to the home screen.
Removing apps from Firestick is quick and easy
Although Amazon Firestick is one of the most popular streaming services, it has its drawbacks, such as insufficient storage. That's why learning how to delete Amazon apps is essential to keep your device running smoothly. If you find lots of unnecessary apps slowing down your Firestick, you can choose to use a third-party app to delete multiple apps at once or do a factory reset.
Do you often delete apps from your Firestick? Are you using any of the methods we talked about? Tell us in the comments section below.